52/300 for sunday league

THESHOE

Starting Player
I've found Worth Hot Dot to be the most consistent and durable.

Dudley close 2nd. Dudley balls are somewhat rare to see here, but when we get them they seem quite linear to the Worth ones. On par.

My experience with Trump/Evil is that the covers hold up very well - The outer cover and seams last long, maybe longer at times. But for whatever reason the balls feel way softer and are affected negatively in the heat. We had a league vote to ditch the Trump for Worth locally over it. We wanted the good balls we play tourneys with that stay consistent. Just seemed with the Trump 52s we'd hit June/July summer temps and it felt like you were hitting Juggs Softie balls all of a sudden. The Worth balls never get that bad.

Never saw that issue with the Trump 40/375 mind you. Those were great balls that held up. I still have a stash of old ones and they've held up to tonnes of BP. They just lack something in 52cor in what I've gamed and hit with to date.

Louisville balls are not very good. Especially the 52s. Thought when they changed it to 52cal name it would improved. Maybe a bit but same issues showed up. One tournament series was actually frustrated with those balls. They were stuck using them as LS sponsored the association, but we went through so many more balls as they'd rip and cut easier. Closer to the feel of the Worth balls when new, but they don't take very many hits to break down and become no longer useable.

Leagues locally have gone almost exclusively to Worth Hot Dot 52cor balls now. You may see some still have old LS stock out of sponsorship - But I believe this may now be over. (Thank goodness)

Party mafia

Dudley close 2nd. Dudley balls are somewhat rare to see here, but when we get them they seem quite linear to the Worth ones. On par.

My experience with Trump/Evil is that the covers hold up very well - The outer cover and seams last long, maybe longer at times. But for whatever reason the balls feel way softer and are affected negatively in the heat. We had a league vote to ditch the Trump for Worth locally over it. We wanted the good balls we play tourneys with that stay consistent. Just seemed with the Trump 52s we'd hit June/July summer temps and it felt like you were hitting Juggs Softie balls all of a sudden. The Worth balls never get that bad.

Never saw that issue with the Trump 40/375 mind you. Those were great balls that held up. I still have a stash of old ones and they've held up to tonnes of BP. They just lack something in 52cor in what I've gamed and hit with to date.

Louisville balls are not very good. Especially the 52s. Thought when they changed it to 52cal name it would improved. Maybe a bit but same issues showed up. One tournament series was actually frustrated with those balls. They were stuck using them as LS sponsored the association, but we went through so many more balls as they'd rip and cut easier. Closer to the feel of the Worth balls when new, but they don't take very many hits to break down and become no longer useable.

Leagues locally have gone almost exclusively to Worth Hot Dot 52cor balls now. You may see some still have old LS stock out of sponsorship - But I believe this may now be over. (Thank goodness)
what is a good brand for the 44 cor softballs that hold up very well in your opinion? thx

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
what is a good brand for the 44 cor softballs that hold up very well in your opinion? thx

Get Evil balls and you will be very very happy. The balls fly really well, have a good grip and are well made. Best all around ball out there

Country469

evil 44 max spec are the nastiest ball on the market Ive ever hit

evil micro cell 44 375 isa aren't far behind

Jant Squad lost nearly 2 dozen in 1 day on the way to winning a large cash payout in TN. Thanks again for that buggs.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

This. IDK why, but Evil .52s do NOT react well to heat. The covers hold up fine, but the core feels like a mushy potato when it gets hot. My advice would be to avoid LEATHER covered .52s. For whatever reason leather doesn't translate well for those balls. I've also hit Dudley Thunder Heats (leather cover) and they perform poorly in heat. You're much better off getting something with a composite cover.

ASA Hot Dots are actually surprisingly good. I've found them to be solid performers.

List of ASA .52s I'd choose (in order).

1: Trump X Rock
2: Dudley Thunder ZN
3: Tattoo NX3
4: ASA Hot Dot
5: Demarini Stone- no one ever talks about these, but they perform well.

jhitman

This. IDK why, but Evil .52s do NOT react well to heat. The covers hold up fine, but the core feels like a mushy potato when it gets hot. My advice would be to avoid LEATHER covered .52s. For whatever reason leather doesn't translate well for those balls. I've also hit Dudley Thunder Heats (leather cover) and they perform poorly in heat. You're much better off getting something with a composite cover.

ASA Hot Dots are actually surprisingly good. I've found them to be solid performers.

List of ASA .52s I'd choose (in order).

2: Dudley Thunder ZN
3: Tattoo NX3
4: ASA Hot Dot
5: Demarini Stone- no one ever talks about these, but they perform well.

This order is on par with what I believe as well. The Evil 52's die in the heat and feel very mushy. On the other hand we hit BP with the Dudley ZN's and NX3's and they were flying in the heat. It doesn't seem to have an adverse affect on those balls at all. I would add that the Trump Stotes seem to do well too.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Garbage.

This is the ball my league ditched (Nsa Trump Stote 52/275). Plays like hitting the Evil Orange/Neon yellow 52cor BP balls. Get super mushy and soft in heat and fly poorly.

Might as well throw in dome ball Juggs Softies in July if you go with these balls.

Trump Stotes seem to do well too.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Evil 44s have been good.

Again though, locally a lot of Worth Gold Dot 44's and they proved to be the better of them.

LS Sucks even in 44.

We don't see much Dudley but their balls usually seem as good as Worths.

jhitman

Garbage.

This is the ball my league ditched (Nsa Trump Stote 52/275). Plays like hitting the Evil Orange/Neon yellow 52cor BP balls. Get super mushy and soft in heat and fly poorly.

Might as well throw in dome ball Juggs Softies in July if you go with these balls.

Maybe I have a good batch? The Stotes I have out hit my Evils and are right up there close to the NX3's.

jhitman

Evil will be bringing back the Special Blend series and releasing a new Special Blend 52 in the next few weeks.

If these are a new and improved version of Evil's can our county (Montgomery County Md) have these as replacements for what we are currently using? If I am correct, I think they have a 3 year contract with Evil. As I have said before, there has been nothing but complaints in our senior leagues about the ones we have now.

Country469

Did this dude really just suggest swapping old balls he's mentioned are stored improperly for new ones that are a different model?

THESHOE

Starting Player
They get soft with minimal use.

Temps affected.

Maybe they improved the ball in last year or so? Since we ditched them for the Worths locally?

They were awful 2 season and beyond ago. So soft, no flight in June/July/Aug.

Maybe I have a good batch? The Stotes I have out hit my Evils and are right up there close to the NX3's.

jhitman

Did this dude really just suggest swapping old balls he's mentioned are stored improperly for new ones that are a different model?

If the old balls are flawed as we all think they are, why wouldn't the company supplying those balls try to make it right by giving us new ones in their place? As long as the new ones meet the standard for our league 52 cor 300 comp. If the new balls are better it would make our LD and recreation department want to continue using this manufacturer instead of listening to all of the complaints they are receiving.

BTW, I found out they receive a new supply each year and then the extra's are stored in a warehouse. I was under the impression from our LD that the 3 year supply sat in the warehouse from the start. My bad on that.

Last edited:

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Seriously bro, You need step back a bit here. With over 70,000 of these balls being sold annually and 3 or 4 people on a messageboard complaining its a little ostentatious of you to call it flawed. I am always trying to advance the tech that we use but to say its Flawed when its our number 1 selling ball..... Really???/
Considering the softball market is in a downturn, If it was flawed annual sales would be decreasing not increasing as they have for the past 3 years.

jhitman

Seriously bro, You need step back a bit here. With over 70,000 of these balls being sold annually and 3 or 4 people on a messageboard complaining its a little ostentatious of you to call it flawed. I am always trying to advance the tech that we use but to say its Flawed when its our number 1 selling ball..... Really???/
Considering the softball market is in a downturn, If it was flawed annual sales would be decreasing not increasing as they have for the past 3 years.

Maybe flawed isn't the right word just not as good as the others would have been a better way to put it? Of the 5-6 different brands of softballs that are 52's, I would rank them last. Just because 70,000 softballs are sold doesn't mean they are a good product. Around here, it's a well known manufacturer and our county who orders the balls doesn't really have a clue on what's good and bad. Most players don't know the differences either. They just accept and play with what they are given. I'm listening to the players and their complaints in our leagues each and every week. I am going to do whatever I can to get us a better softball to play with not just accept mediocrity.

You are correct on softball being on a downturn the last few years. The evidence around here is supporting that as well. The players here seem to like the bats quite a bit and I agree with them. The ball has been the issue here for the last 3-4 years and continues to be the major complaint.

xjarcher

On the mound
The experience in our league is different. In past years we allowed Evils to be used for two games as they were more durable than the Dudley ball that most bought. I'm currently using several of last year's Evil's and one Dudley for some back yard BP. The Evils are consistently going further. They sound a bit softer but I think that's a leather cover vs. a synthetic cover. I'd like to know what the experts believe to be the "best ball" 52-300 btw. I'll find a couple and see what happens. I have a couple Evil 44-375's that are unused I'd even trade.

jhitman

The experience in our league is different. In past years we allowed Evils to be used for two games as they were more durable than the Dudley ball that most bought. I'm currently using several of last year's Evil's and one Dudley for some back yard BP. The Evils are consistently going further. They sound a bit softer but I think that's a leather cover vs. a synthetic cover. I'd like to know what the experts believe to be the "best ball" 52-300 btw. I'll find a couple and see what happens. I have a couple Evil 44-375's that are unused I'd even trade.

Most seem to like the XRock's and Hycors. I really like the Hycors as well as the NX3's.Both of those balls fly as well as most of my 44 cor 375 comps. About to order some Hycors and NX3's so I can use them as a replacement for the Evil's they provide to us. I want our team and the teams we play see what a huge difference it makes.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

All the best .52s are composite covered. Stuff like Hycors, X Rocks, composite Tattoos, SYCO Hot Dots, or even Tattoo NX3s. Synthetic .52s seem to break down quickly and don't perform that well. I'd put Evils in the same boat. Those balls have poor longevity and seem to mush up dramatically in a very short time.

In order:

2: Tattoo NX3
3: Dudley Hycor or ASA ZN composite cover
4: Decker Shark (ASA or USSSA .52s)
5: Tattoo composite cover
6: Hot Dot SYCO (composite)

If I had to pick the ball that lasts the longest, I'd say Tattoo NX3. Those balls don't really have a cover. They're a solid plastic ball, similar to a batting cage ball. They perform very well off the bat, and don't seem to wear out. X Rocks would probably be 2nd for durability. The cover on X Rocks can get dinged up, but the core will remain solid for a long, long time.

Country469

I do get some chuckles on here from time to time about the guys who think they know about this stuff.

Country469

remember when Apex was all the rage with NSA? And then they got caught making balls out of spec and everyone was stuck with inventory that was not legal and couldn't be returned? lol.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
The ball that used "Antifreeze" to combat thermo-degradation only to find out it was the over compression that kept it lively