52/300 vs 44/375

jhitman

This is another of the safety issues I wish people thought more about. People are bitching about getting split lips from these and people were dying from being hit in the head with the older balls.

I agree jbo. I have seen so many less severe injuries since we switched to the 52 cor 300 comp softballs. We all hated it at first, but the safety thing has made most of us change our minds. It's like anything else, just adjust and learn how to hit them and you will be fine.

figuringitout

Addicted to Softballfans
There is nothing better than the early season games, when temps here are in 50's and a 44 cor ball. Ohhh the ball flies. . . Then summer gets hot and muggy and by the 3rd inning the ball is softer and sounds like a sock.

Leagues here are all over the place with balls. I have a variety of bats and am not worried about cracking a bat with harder balls or on a colder day.

You guys in year round warmer climates would love fall ball here with 44 cor balls. It is like hitting a golf ball.

both "technologies" have there pro's and con's. As long as the ball isn't absolute crap (quality of materials and manufacturing process) then it should be ok. 300 ft fences and underhand pitching is pretty straight forward

single wally

Professional Amateur
Unless you're playing in cold weather, cut the 52 and it will hang with any other type of game ball, barring ZN stadiums of course.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't mind hitting them...fielding them a different story. I have played all levels of softball through out my 20~ years in the sport and I have never been "eat up" as much as I have with the .52's. I play SS btw and have from tee ball through college ball...

Hell, I'd rather field super-dupers than these "bouncy-balls".

Now that I'm in my 40's, it may be time to back away and let the younger guys take the lumps.
Super Dupers reacted more like these from what I remember. People have just gotten used to the lower cor balls is all.

I agree jbo. I have seen so many less severe injuries since we switched to the 52 cor 300 comp softballs. We all hated it at first, but the safety thing has made most of us change our minds. It's like anything else, just adjust and learn how to hit them and you will be fine.

Since I got to south GA I've played with at least three dudes that have been hit in the head on throws in a game they were playing with me. A member here was playing with a guy in IN I believe who died from a headshot like that. These were all in league, and I've only played on one league team per season most of the time. I hate to think about how many times this happens nationwide.

jhitman

Super Dupers reacted more like these from what I remember. People have just gotten used to the lower cor balls is all.

Since I got to south GA I've played with at least three dudes that have been hit in the head on throws in a game they were playing with me. A member here was playing with a guy in IN I believe who died from a headshot like that. These were all in league, and I've only played on one league team per season most of the time. I hate to think about how many times this happens nationwide.

I like the fact that they changed the softballs and seems to be a lot less severe injuries now. We treat ourselves in BP some weekends and go to a baseball field and hit the better softballs just to remember what it was like back in the day. Overall they did what was best for the game/safety.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
We still have quite a few outlaw any 44 tournies. Almost all of them have nets for the pitchers, but the IFers still have to deal with that. I like that they have them, but I think sanctioned association leagues and tournies should not be that hot.

white_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
There is nothing better than the early season games, when temps here are in 50's and a 44 cor ball. Ohhh the ball flies. . . Then summer gets hot and muggy and by the 3rd inning the ball is softer and sounds like a sock.

Leagues here are all over the place with balls. I have a variety of bats and am not worried about cracking a bat with harder balls or on a colder day.

You guys in year round warmer climates would love fall ball here with 44 cor balls. It is like hitting a golf ball.

both "technologies" have there pro's and con's. As long as the ball isn't absolute crap (quality of materials and manufacturing process) then it should be ok. 300 ft fences and underhand pitching is pretty straight forward

:thumb: You cant be any ol' geek off the street...

jhitman

We still have quite a few outlaw any 44 tournies. Almost all of them have nets for the pitchers, but the IFers still have to deal with that. I like that they have them, but I think sanctioned association leagues and tournies should not be that hot.

Never played in a game with a net for the pitcher. Is it an out if the batter hits the net?

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
here it counts as a strike.......If you have 2 strikes, it's an out. Net is live on throws coming back in though

RSTLNE

Addicted to Softballfans
The 52s feel different but there isn't any noticeable distance loss. I've hit old stamp and new stamp bats with the 52s and they are all around the same area/spray-chart for me. Fielding them is definitely different though, I've seen some balls hit and slice in the outfield that would make my golf slice look tame. Although, I think this season players will be fielding them better since this will be year 2 playing with the 52/300 balls and getting use to the crazy bounces and slice/knucklers.

freak98guy

Place Clever Title Here
I prefer .52's as a hitter and as a fielder. They are a more consistent performing product all year long as the temp/ humidity doesn't have such a drastic effect on them like the .44's. In the field I'm much more willing to stay in front of the ball as they they don't really hurt if you get hit. (insert happy gilmore gif here) In the 2 years playing with .52's, I've gotten maybe 3 to 4 bad bounces. I'd expect that many using .44's as well. There was just an adjustment period to learn how the new ball bounces. Now that I have it down, it's second nature.

figuringitout

Addicted to Softballfans
The 52s feel different but there isn't any noticeable distance loss. I've hit old stamp and new stamp bats with the 52s and they are all around the same area/spray-chart for me. Fielding them is definitely different though, I've seen some balls hit and slice in the outfield that would make my golf slice look tame. Although, I think this season players will be fielding them better since this will be year 2 playing with the 52/300 balls and getting use to the crazy bounces and slice/knucklers.

I always tell my teammates to take a step in when playing infield... try to eliminate that crazy bounce. Guys that play deep infield take 'em off the collar bone.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans

The guy in here was hit on the back of his neck... imo if someone is hit in the same spot with a 52 and as hard as it was thrown it would probably be the same results ijs... but all in all yes the balls now are quite a bit safer.