.52/300. Who has used them?

only1easton

Homer5, this is the posting on the Missouri ASA site I was talking about. I didn't realize that diff state ASA's made different rules. The way it sounds, these balls suck.

swingaway06

Addicted to Softballfans
Haven't hit one myself yet because as long as the .44 ball is legal I'm going to keep using that. I know that in tourneys around here if both the .44 and .52 ball are allowed teams will start with the .44 ball till they run out of homers then throw the .52 ball in so they don't waste an out on another homer. From what I can tell playing against teams that do that, the .52 ball still comes off the bat pretty well but takes a lot more power to hit one out so the marginal power guys aren't hitting any more cheap homers. The downside seems like they take some harder hops in the infield which once again seems like another pointless switch by ASA to make the game "more safe." They already made the infield more dangerous when they lowered the pitching height to 10 feet, I see way more harder hits up the middle since that went into effect and I don't care who says the .52 balls are softer and hurt less, a line drive back to the pitcher or a hard hit ball in the infield that pops up and nails someone in the face is still going to do some pretty good damage regardless which ball you are using.

I've always said the only true way ASA could have made the infield safer is by raising the pitching height to 14 feet instead of lowering it. If you've ever played in an unlimited arch tourney or league you'd probably agree with that too, it's a lot tougher to hit a line drive shot through the infield when the ball is dropping in from a much higher angle.

Country35

Banned User
Haven't hit one myself yet because as long as the .44 ball is legal I'm going to keep using that. I know that in tourneys around here if both the .44 and .52 ball are allowed teams will start with the .44 ball till they run out of homers then throw the .52 ball in so they don't waste an out on another homer. From what I can tell playing against teams that do that, the .52 ball still comes off the bat pretty well but takes a lot more power to hit one out so the marginal power guys aren't hitting any more cheap homers. The downside seems like they take some harder hops in the infield which once again seems like another pointless switch by ASA to make the game "more safe." They already made the infield more dangerous when they lowered the pitching height to 10 feet, I see way more harder hits up the middle since that went into effect and I don't care who says the .52 balls are softer and hurt less, a line drive back to the pitcher or a hard hit ball in the infield that pops up and nails someone in the face is still going to do some pretty good damage regardless which ball you are using.

I've always said the only true way ASA could have made the infield safer is by raising the pitching height to 14 feet instead of lowering it. If you've ever played in an unlimited arch tourney or league you'd probably agree with that too, it's a lot tougher to hit a line drive shot through the infield when the ball is dropping in from a much higher angle.

arch on a ball has nothing to do with safety bro....yes it makes it harder to hit those dangerous lazers on a consistent basis, but your still capable of hitting those pitches just as hard as the flat ones. I can hit a 14' arch pitch back at a pitch just as hard as 10'

CRHJ1M

Addicted to Softballfans
My ASA league went to these balls in spring league, yes for us infielders the ball does bounce more, but that's part of the game. Just got to get use to the ball, knowing when to sit back or charge the ball.

Offensive side- To me, I really can't tell that much of a difference. Hit both the old balls and the new ones out consistently. Don't really try to tape measure shots, but they aren't much different from what people tell me. Possibly 3-5' difference at most, just a guess.

Defensive side- As an outfielder, they do not knuckle as much in terms of pop-ups, but if you let one fall, be prepared it'll bounce over your head.

bkzshabbaz

Newb Alert
Offensive side- To me, I really can't tell that much of a difference. Hit both the old balls and the new ones out consistently. Don't really try to tape measure shots, but they aren't much different from what people tell me. Possibly 3-5' difference at most, just a guess.

Defensive side- As an outfielder, they do not knuckle as much in terms of pop-ups, but if you let one fall, be prepared it'll bounce over your head.

The pop ups don't knuckle. The line drives do; they can move laterally 5 feet back and forth.

The pop-ups on the old ball knuckled more than the new balls. The only reason the new balls would knuckle is bc of odd wind gusts.

I would have to disagree. I've seen more wicked knuckle line Drives with the 52/300s than I EVER saw with the 44/375s.

There are no cheap homeruns with them, that's for sure. Guys who hit homeruns and should be able to still will.. And they'll still go far.. But the wall scraping, 301 foot homeruns from your line drive hitters wont happen too often. We used to get beat in rec league by the cheap homerun.. Now those teams can't touch us. They go for it and pop out... A lot.

BEEJ

Below Me
horrible hops, like a super ball. ball knuckles horribly. the .52 300 tattoo balls are garbage for sure. the dudley hy cors are legit

Sixes

K C C O
I've used them in a tourney and now league for 2 weeks and have little to cmoplain about.

do they perform less than the 44/375s, yeah...but i haven't seen the icky hops or Knucklers

bat4datass

Outstanding Bad Dealer

we use the trump dimpled version and the trump rep said that they will fly just as far as a 44 375 if you hit homeruns with a clean bat on a 320 field your going to hit homeruns no matter what they throw at ya or what ya swing just switch to a good mush ball bat miken or other soft barrell bats

Country35

Banned User
we use the trump dimpled version and the trump rep said that they will fly just as far as a 44 375 if you hit homeruns with a clean bat on a 320 field your going to hit homeruns no matter what they throw at ya or what ya swing just switch to a good mush ball bat miken or other soft barrell bats

damn preschool let out early.....wtf did he say

jneff24

Addicted to Softballfans
IMO, the balls are good. Can you hit 350ft+ bombs like you could with a TA? No. But they will still leave the park if you hit them well. I also think they are the most consistant ball in terms of how the weather affects them. We played last night in 90+ degree weather and the ball feels the same as it did when it was 70 degrees out.

On a hard field, the ball will take crazy hops on the infield....and it does tend to knuckle/float in the outfield.

Our league hit TAs last year and switched to the 52 300 this year. The scores don't seem to be down and the HRs seem to still be flying.

Pound4Pound-LV1

DeMarini Factory Hitter
Played using this ball and it does bounce a lot more than the 44/375...but only the bigger fellows were hitting the ball out, the way it should be. They weren't 350 ft hr's either. Hit it up and the ball dies.Good linedrives though..

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
Played using this ball and it does bounce a lot more than the 44/375...but only the bigger fellows were hitting the ball out, the way it should be. They weren't 350 ft hr's either. Hit it up and the ball dies.Good linedrives though..

I need to play in your league then. We have people here hitting them out like crazy of course ours is NSA so our bats are hotter. We had a guy on our team swing a teammates Connell 2 with 4 hits and hit 13 or 14 out with it. He is only about 5'9" and 140-150lbs.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
The big hitters in our league are still hitting big home runs. I've seen several in the 350 range.

The hops on the IF are pretty ridiculous. I've even seen some pitches drop in front of the catcher and come up to head-height on the ump.

I haven't hit them head-to-head with other balls, but after weeks of hitting only the .52 300 in league games, I hit off the tee last night with a mix of everything from SB12's to .47 525 and there is a noticeable difference in feel with most other balls. You can't feel the walls flex nearly as much with the new balls, and the sound is much flatter with the new ones.

spartanmikek

Addicted to Softballfans
this is what ive been told
SOFTBALL USAGE: ADULT SLOW PITCH TEAMS
At the ASA Council Meeting in Shreveport last November, a new .52/300 softball was approved for ASA play. Continuing on-field and laboratory bat testing is in process. For Men's Slow Pitch divisions, we will use the .52/300 softball and allow most bats to be used. You must still have the softballs approved by the tournament director. No 44/375 balls will be allowed. The Missouri ASA state office has a small supply of the .52/300 balls available for sale at $50.00 per dozen, picked up, $58.00 per dozen shipped in Missouri to registered teams only. For the list of bats not allowed, click here: BAT LIST 52/300
For clarification, NO senior bats marked 1.21+ are permitted.. but NOTE: Men's teams are reminded that if you advance to a national championship, the ASA bat rule, in full, will be in effect...i know this is true for MO but not sure about other states

Lmfao, my bros on sbf that are from MO are excluded from my next comment this applies to non sbf MO peeps. This shows you the intelligence of people in MO, "hey guys we're going to change the ball to make the game safer but we are going to allow you to use hotter bats now so the ball still travels just as fast as when we used the old softballs, who says us Mossurians aint not smart, stupid is as stupid does"

spartanmikek

Addicted to Softballfans
arch on a ball has nothing to do with safety bro....yes it makes it harder to hit those dangerous lazers on a consistent basis, but your still capable of hitting those pitches just as hard as the flat ones. I can hit a 14' arch pitch back at a pitch just as hard as 10'

Lol country, in one sentance you say "arch has nothing to do with it" and in the very NEXT sentence you say "it (arch) makes it harder to hit those dangerous lasers on a consistent basis". Pick your side, does it have nothing to do with it, or like u said in your own words does it make it "harder to hit those dangerous lasers". Btw, if I didn't like u and enjoy all your posts I wouldn't have read it to comment on it, so this is nothing personal bro it just struck me as funny that's all. :)

Country35

Banned User
Lol country, in one sentance you say "arch has nothing to do with it" and in the very NEXT sentence you say "it (arch) makes it harder to hit those dangerous lasers on a consistent basis". Pick your side, does it have nothing to do with it, or like u said in your own words does it make it "harder to hit those dangerous lasers". Btw, if I didn't like u and enjoy all your posts I wouldn't have read it to comment on it, so this is nothing personal bro it just struck me as funny that's all. :)

you have to look at it from a safety perspective when looking at why the balls get used tho man....not from a competitve perspective. As far as ASA is concerned if 1 screaming liner a game takes a pitcher's head off and hurts him is too many. From a competitve perspective, yeah it makes it harder for guys to do it, but it doesnt eliminate the fact that it can still happen, especially the higher level you get to. What ASA is going for is that it can't happen at all. Does that make sense, I know the way I put it was pretty confusing.

spartanmikek

Addicted to Softballfans
you have to look at it from a safety perspective when looking at why the balls get used tho man....not from a competitve perspective. As far as ASA is concerned if 1 screaming liner a game takes a pitcher's head off and hurts him is too many. From a competitve perspective, yeah it makes it harder for guys to do it, but it doesnt eliminate the fact that it can still happen, especially the higher level you get to. What ASA is going for is that it can't happen at all. Does that make sense, I know the way I put it was pretty confusing.

Yes I got ya bro and agree with u. I figured that is what u meant, like I said it just read funny the first time through.