? about Mens Major players

DynamicD

Addicted to Softballfans
Border Battle and other conference events are limited HRs. This means just getting on base is the goal so you can hit more 2 or 3 run home runs than the other team. At the major it is unlimited, so if you hit a solo every time if no one is on, you will still be helping your team.

Also, it's easier to hit a tough pitch out at the Border Battle and normal conference events. Most guys have no trouble hitting a HR on a 3-2 count at a borderline pitch on the 300ft fields. At the major you need to hit it out of a stadium and swinging at a borderline pitch might just be a 375ft fly out to the warning track.

Last edited:

single wally

Professional Amateur
Lol at all this talk about the pride and importance of guys like Helmer playing small ball in the interest of the team. It ain't HS JV baseball fellas...

In limited hr tourneys, if u got a masher 1 or two behind u, ur jobs to get on base. If u can mash yourself, and there's 1 or no guys on, its a bad time to cash in. Those sitches it actually matters, fillin up so ur clutch hitter can cash in. Thats the problem with this sport, too many EGOMANIACS and not enough TEAM PLAYERS

This thread has become funny. Major players should have a harder time trying to walk (than the average rec league player) because the pitcher pitching just happens to be a major player too.

Now you have to determine what is "a lot" of walking. Here's some examples from USSSA:
Rulli has 44 BB's in 58 games
Connell has 17 BB's in 58 games
Wegman has 44 BB's in 56 games
Purcell has 30 BB's in 60 games
Even Helmer has 41 BB's in 61 games

To me, that's a good amount. A lot more than most people walk.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^^^ Averaging less than one per game, I'd say that is not exceptional.

I think you're just trolling now. You all but call people that walk pansies, say nobody would ever look to walk, then when you're shown that the best hitters in the game playing with more of the best hitters in the game walk as often as they do, you say it's not exceptional. :rolleyes:

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
No, you got me wrong. I probably have 2 or 3 walks in 4 games too, it's just a matter of not swinging at bad pitches. I have always been consistent, don't swing at bad pitches and don't watch good pitches. I would say these Major Conference guys aren't up there looking for walks, but they are very disciplined.

spos21ram

The Legend
If the third pitch is a ball and you take a walk. It's not considered an at bat that doesn't go against your batting average. So therefore your technically not helping but also not hurting. But it also doesn't count as an on base percentage/slugging either...

Not only do walks count toward OBP, walks count as HITS in USSSA and ISA, not sure about ASA. So your theory is busted.

spos21ram

The Legend
I think you mean that errors count as hits. Walks are a totally different stat on the USSSA Stat Page.

Errors defintiely dont count as hits, unless im missing something. But it looks like only ISA counts walks as hits. I thought it was both. Either way, the most important stat in softball is OBP.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
This thread has become funny. Major players should have a harder time trying to walk (than the average rec league player) because the pitcher pitching just happens to be a major player too.

Now you have to determine what is "a lot" of walking. Here's some examples from USSSA:
Rulli has 44 BB's in 58 games
Connell has 17 BB's in 58 games
Wegman has 44 BB's in 56 games
Purcell has 30 BB's in 60 games
Even Helmer has 41 BB's in 61 games

To me, that's a good amount. A lot more than most people walk.

Connell is somewhat of a free swinger from my times watching him. It seems to work since he's the best hitter in softball right now.

sjury

The Old Man
You guys must be joking.... For Major players to average about 1 walk a game is exceptional. They are against Major Pitchers not Eddie from the corner bar stool. I managed teams and I can tell you in 15+ years no one has ever managed to get more then a handful of walks, and some guys only manage 2 or 3 in a year. We were playing 30 or 40 games a year. One of our picky hitters (and lead off) would manage 20, some of our big hitters would get some intentional walks but still not get 20 a year.

These guys play so much and know when a ball is going to be a strike or not. They are very patient and take the pitches they cannot do exactly what they want with, and swing at the ones that are good. That's why they are Major Players. If they swung at junk and made a bunch of outs between their 400foot bombs they'd be playing bar softball and would have 3,000 + posts on SBF.