? about Mens Major players

Wunbagga

Addicted to Softballfans
This year I watched more Major World series games than I had been able to in previous years. My question is, are the Major players paid on their batting/on base/ slugging percentage? I only ask because I have never seen so many 2-0 count swings in my life. The only thing I could think of was if they were paid on what their stats looked like!!!

Wunbagga

Addicted to Softballfans
If the third pitch is a ball and you take a walk. It's not considered an at bat that doesn't go against your batting average. So therefore your technically not helping but also not hurting. But it also doesn't count as an on base percentage/slugging either...

itheshow

Addicted to Softballfans
Probably hitting the best pitch that they see. At that level every pitcher is able to throw strikes on demand, so swing at 2-0 if its a good pitch.

country7

Addicted to Softballfans
yup dont get courtesy fouls so you see a lot of 2-0 swings. if i saw a decent 2-0 pitch i was hacking

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
Simple answer. Power hitters want to hit not walk.

We also have that in our Senior leagues. That is one slight advantage I have on those hitters is they want to hit not walk and will swing at a border line pitch.

PHX5054

Addicted to Softballfans
If the third pitch is a ball and you take a walk. It's not considered an at bat that doesn't go against your batting average. So therefore your technically not helping but also not hurting. But it also doesn't count as an on base percentage/slugging either...

ACtually most of the Teams in the Conference only care about OBP. So, taking a walk actually helps your OBP. Some Teams keep detailed stats, some keep track of plate appearances and outs (either f/c or put out) for batters. IMO a walk is a hit and you're doing your team a favor by being on base and not swinging at ****ty pitches.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Not in major tournies you don't. If you get a good 2-0 pitch you have to hit it. You put the game in the pitcher's court by taking a meatball of a 2-0 pitch for a strike.

I made this mistake in playoffs the other night. watched a meatball and cut at a tougher pitch for an out. hopefully it traumatized me a bit.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
ACtually most of the Teams in the Conference only care about OBP. So, taking a walk actually helps your OBP. Some Teams keep detailed stats, some keep track of plate appearances and outs (either f/c or put out) for batters. IMO a walk is a hit and you're doing your team a favor by being on base and not swinging at ****ty pitches.

True definition of a team player.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
We had this discussion recently, either you are more dangerous hitting the ball or not.

I hope you're not talking about the thread where we discussed swinging 3-1. I certainly don't consider myself a major player, and it didn't sound like anyone else in that thread was either.

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
Odd that a Major player would have the green light in that situation. I thought that was reserved for E-league cleanup hitters.

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
I hope you're not talking about the thread where we discussed swinging 3-1. I certainly don't consider myself a major player, and it didn't sound like anyone else in that thread was either.

Nope, but I pointed out that those guys don't care what the count is--they're swinging if they like it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
So when you say we had this discussion recently, you just meant where you are locally?

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball

Bingo! :bigok:

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
If they have their name on a bat they can swing at whatever they want whenever they want, period. There is a reason they are playing majors and we are chatting about it on a message board.

Wunbagga

Addicted to Softballfans
Greg Connell and Jeremy Izenhower play in our annual small ball unlimited tourney every year. It is fun to see them guys swing away. However in championship play it is a team sport. And everyone should put their pride aside and do what they can to help the team win....

slomaro

Addicted to Softballfans
They are wanting more bases and more runs scored out of a at bat than was just a walk gives you

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
They took plenty of walks in the Border Battle and the futures game. If they're swinging 2-0 you can bet it's a strike.