according to this ump, some games aren't important enough for rules...

Mr. Roper

Addicted to Softballfans
playing in a tourney the other day. other team has a bat with tape wrapped around the bottom part of the barrel. one of our players points it out to the ump. ump tells our player something about the tourney not being a big enough tournament for him to do anything about it (wtf?). other team keeps swinging the bat. our player keeps objecting. finally ump tells team to remove the tape and it turns out there's supposedly a huge crack in the bat. why does our player have to nag the **** out of the ump to get him to do his job? this isn't a debatable call like a tag or a strike, it's not subjective, it's tape on the barrel and it's right there in front of your ****ing face. and we're pointing it out to you. we're not even questioning that you didn't say anything about it in the first place, we're just asking you to take care of the problem now that you're aware of it. why is it so hard for these guys to do their ****ing job?

bd22_pub

BBAT #16
if someone on the team i was playing was swinging a bat with a cracked handle i would gladly let them keep using it. :cool::cool::cool::cool:
doesn't seem like an advantage at all

JMO

AJ22

Super Moderator
Curious ..

What type of tournament was this ? Local ? Sanctioned ? Money ? T-shirts ?

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
A lot of umps are just there to call outs and that's it. Knowing rules and balls vs. strikes is optional.

I firmly believe this..............None of them care other than to be there and get paid. Then they have the ****ing nerve to get all mad a team makes a comment on one of their ****ty calls, that they put zero effort into.

Camp

Giving Bitches Complexes
I've got a 1st batch freak that is peeling 1/2 inch around the end cap. I use tape to keep it from continuing to peel just to preserve it. But some people are big babies.

dgambill85

Banned User
You know swing I'm kinda surprised by some of the blues out here in Yuma. They get out there and make the call at the bag and not just from behind the plate. There was also one in Hawaii there during states. Older local guy, he also blued at Hawaii Kai but he was all about it. By the end of the first inning he was sweating just as much as some of the players were. It's those blues that make you really enjoy the game and make you not ***** about calls. Now the ones that call the tag at second base from behind the plate makes me want to foul a ball into their face. And yes I will argue that ****ty call that you didn't make an attempt to get a better view of.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
You know swing I'm kinda surprised by some of the blues out here in Yuma. They get out there and make the call at the bag and not just from behind the plate. There was also one in Hawaii there during states. Older local guy, he also blued at Hawaii Kai but he was all about it. By the end of the first inning he was sweating just as much as some of the players were. It's those blues that make you really enjoy the game and make you not ***** about calls. Now the ones that call the tag at second base from behind the plate makes me want to foul a ball into their face. And yes I will argue that ****ty call that you didn't make an attempt to get a better view of.

We have maybe 2 in Spokane that care. Lan Delos Santos was good for that in Hawaii, and I will respect any umpire that puts out the effort and will stand by their call and say, "Hey..........He was right on top of it....." on close ones. Lazy ones make me nuts though.:mad:

Mr. Roper

Addicted to Softballfans
I've got a 1st batch freak that is peeling 1/2 inch around the end cap. I use tape to keep it from continuing to peel just to preserve it. But some people are big babies.

good point. if your bat is falling apart you shouldn't have to play by the rules.

dgambill85

Banned User

If you have an illegal bat you have an illegal bat. There is no gray in there. It's complete black and white! If you have tape on your bat then I want to know what you are taping up and make sure it's legal. Don't be a cheat.

Camp

Giving Bitches Complexes
If you have an illegal bat you have an illegal bat. There is no gray in there. It's complete black and white! If you have tape on your bat then I want to know what you are taping up and make sure it's legal. Don't be a cheat.

True. I went to our ld and a few umps and explained it. Also talked to the tourney director this weekend. I'm no cheat. If they have a problem with it I will put it up. Its just keeping it from peeling any more. And at least I come forward about it, I've got nothing to hide. If you wanna be technical, any of your sticks with rattle can be tossed.

dgambill85

Banned User
True. I went to our ld and a few umps and explained it. Also talked to the tourney director this weekend. I'm no cheat. If they have a problem with it I will put it up. Its just keeping it from peeling any more. And at least I come forward about it, I've got nothing to hide. If you wanna be technical, any of your sticks with rattle can be tossed.

This is true, I just learned actually tonight. Wow, now I'm in a predicament. After that last post I posted it sounds like there's no grey area but I damned sure ain't tossing my juggy out due to a foam rattle. My bad.

Mr. Roper

Addicted to Softballfans
Enough said ..

/thread

oh, my bad. i missed the small print at the bottom of the rules that says "if it's a small tourney disregard all of the above" :rolleyes:

Was it AMCOM tourney!

no. we almost played in the one yesterday but too many players had other plans.

^ ^ ^ this. when we point it out and we're within our rights to do so according to the rules either put the bat aside or take off the tape. simple solution.

Yeah so put up any bat you have that has a rattle :rolleyes:

i'll be sure to do that when i have one with a rattle. :rolleyes:

Camp

Giving Bitches Complexes
Yeah since we are all playing by the rules now ^^^^^

I let em know what's up with my bat before I use it. just play guy. Save the crybaby bs for the guys who aren't being forthright about there equipment and eating up your infielders with dirty bats. :D

Last edited:

AJ22

Super Moderator
oh, my bad. i missed the small print at the bottom of the rules that says "if it's a small tourney disregard all of the above" :rolleyes:

I never said you were wrong doing what you did ..

But 'some' can just look the other way and pick a bigger battle worth a little more. There are guys out there who literally do not know what they are swinging (sounds like this may be the case here). And there are guys out there who know and don't give a crap as they will do anything to win a t-shirt.

As I said, 'some' can pick other battles ...