Akadema ASV139?

Norman Bedford

Pinky & Da Brain
Q: Does anyone have experience with the Akadema ASV139?

It's a 12.75" H-Web, Kip Leather glove that's realatively new from Akadema.
It's similar to their AMR34, which is the OF glove Shane Victorino used for years.

I used to have a kip leather 13.00" Akadema AMA-136, the red "Manny" glove, and it was okay... But I've been sticking with Rawlings Pro Preferred the past few years.

One of the main concerns I have with an Akadema ASV139 is would it really play up to 12.75" feel since many Akadema's tend to play smaller than listed (or at least compared to Rawlings Pro Preferred).

Thanks

Norman Bedford

xray37OF

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought I read that Victorino is currently using the new ASV139. Akadema sometimes posts some coupon codes for their online store on their twitter page. It's been 25% off your entire order but the latest one they had was 30% off. So a new AMR-34 would be around $130 shipped. I was going to pull the trigger on a different Akadema (AKM-33) but I scored a Mizuno Global Elite for almost the same price on the bay.

Norman Bedford

Pinky & Da Brain
Akadema

XRay,

Yes, I think you're right that Victorino is now using the ASV139 (as opposed to the AMR34).

Akadema also has another interesting glove, the USA 134H "Patriot" (12.75" H Web) that is made here in US.

I haven't been able to get my hands on either the 139 or this new 134H, but
I'd like to try each of them, both appear to be about as good as Akadema's get...

NB

xray37OF

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not sure how long Victorino has been using the ASV but last time I saw him play during a televised game this season he looked even faster on D than last year when he was using the AMR34. The suede leather on the back of the glove is supposed to make the glove super light.

Norman Bedford

Pinky & Da Brain
ASV-139 soon come...

I've got an ASV-139 coming in from Akadema on Monday 8/23, as well as a 13.00" Akadema Precision.

Will post a bit of feedback once I get my hands on these two.

NB

Norman Bedford

Pinky & Da Brain
Akadema ASV-139

Got the Akadema ASV-139 in today.

It's got an incredible shape, and is very well crafted.

Lots of things to love about this glove:

-Perfect size for a 12.75"
-Huge deep pocket for a 12.75"
-Extremely stiff (kip) leather
-Extremely stiff Thumb and Pinky
-Very light glove (kip leather + suede leather on back)

I haven't actually used it as of yet, but at this point I would compare the look and feel to that of my Rawlings Grey Eagle Pro Preferred (12.75"). Can't compare the longevity and long term quality of the leather since glove is brand spanking new.

The Negatives (at first viewing) of the ASV-139:
-How to maintain the suede leather on the back -- especially from clay?
-Thumb stall is really tight, and a bit uncomfortable -- and I only have size "L" hands, so for someone with big hands this might be really tough.
-The actual size of the ASV-139 measures out closer to 12.50" than to 12.75" but to me that's
no negative really -- the shape and feel of the ASV is great, so this doesn't bother me.

The glove is far stiffer than the AMA-136 Akadema Precision, and it also has a much deeper pocket and a much more natural shape to it, although the AMA-136 is a 13.00" glove. The AMA-136 has more of a Baseball OF feel to it in the legnth and shape of the pocket, and the ASV-139 has more of a nice infielders rounded pocket -- perfect for Softball in my opinion.

I'll start working with the ASV-139, and hopefully get a few pictures up next week as well, but my initial impression is that I'm very impressed with this glove from Akadema.

Norman Bedford

Last edited:

Norman Bedford

Pinky & Da Brain
Akadema ASV-139

Took about 50 balls fielding practice (mostly mid-infield) with the ASV-139.

Glove feels exceptionally well balanced and is very light.

Glove has a very deep pocket.

This is a Baseball OF Glove (12.75") so there isn't much padding in it at all, and it doesn't even have an index finger pad -- but that's no big deal.

Glove is shaped really well, and the H-web pocket is great.

For infield play, I like it better than the Mizuno Classic Pro, and pretty much equal to my Rawlings Pro Pref Grey Eagle (and that's saying a lot).

I guess the Suede Leather on the back is a double-edged sword... Some people are going to hate it, and it's going to be a pain to keep it clean from clay. Akadema put it there along with the kip leather on the rest of the glove to keep it extra light. Again, this glove is really a Baseball OF glove, where the clay wouldn't be a factor on the suede back...

Will use it in a game tomorrow...

NB