Other Altered gloves

Edmonton_fan

Addicted to Softballfans
I have an old glove with an H pocket. When I had it re-stitched, I asked them to not tie the pocket tight. They did a poor job by leaving an inch gap on the thumb side; and a 1/2 on the other side. But the top of the web is tight.

I was going to ask them to fix it; then realized they made the pocket deeper (a mini butterfly net). Anything that hits my glove sucks into that web - and stays there.

From: http://www.azsoftball.org/misc/2006/Misc/05.softball.umpire.rulebook.pdf

It appears nothing changed to make the glove illegal. The top opening of the web did not change; the bottom opening of the web did not change; the web height did not change. Just the middle part of the H pocket

Is my glove legal?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I can't find anything in the ASA glove diagram that would lead me to say that it's an illegal glove.

I say it's legal.

Irish? Bret? Thoughts?

Edmonton_fan

Addicted to Softballfans
I hope these photos show...

As you can tell by the photos, my glove is falling apart; so I am looking on eBay for a similar "well worn" glove that I will re-stitch the same way - if legal...

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
I hope these photos show...

As you can tell by the photos, my glove is falling apart; so I am looking on eBay for a similar "well worn" glove that I will re-stitch the same way - if legal...

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as the measurements are within limits.

Brett is the glove expert though and will defer to his expertise. I think I have seen 2-3 gloves that have not met specs.

Joel

Edmonton_fan

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't see anything wrong with it as long as the measurements are within limits.

Brett is the glove expert though and will defer to his expertise. I think I have seen 2-3 gloves that have not met specs.

Joel

I sure hope you and NCASAUmp are correct; although I wonder why glove manufacturers don't make slightly deeper "butterfly net" pockets.

Since I play outfield, if I can touch the ball on a full flight running (or diving) catch - it is mine...

So I would really like to adjust my upcoming new (well worn) glove accordingly... :)

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
all that is done is the laces arent cinched down tight. theres no rule against letting the laces get too loose is there??

Well, yes and no. There are certain maximum dimensions to a legal glove, and it's POSSIBLE that if something's too loose, it could exceed those maximum dimensions. It really depends on what's loose and where it's loose.

The specifications for a glove have been unchanged for many, many years. Read through that section and take the appropriate measurements. For the most accurate measurements, use something like a piece of string to follow the contours of the pocket (when appropriate).

As said before, BretMan's the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to gloves. I'll see if I can flag him down...

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, I know a lot about fixing gloves. As far as the rules...I'm reading the same book you guys are!

If the glove meets all of the dimensions in the rule book, I'd say perfectly legal. In fact it looks like a lot of the gloves that people bring me to fix! Apparently a lot of people are playing with gloves like that. The web could be that loose just from normal use and the lace stretching- especially on a well-used H-web.

Plus...Jason Veritek says it's legal!

varitek.jpg

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
I actually loosen the laces on some of my gloves for the same reason; you get a deeper pocket without having to make the glove longer. One problem that you need to be cognizant of is that the deeper the pocket, the harder it can be to get the ball out quickly.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
A picture is worth 1,000 words...

Thank you...

Here is what I can do for ASA........again.....as long as your glove meets these specifications.......you should be good.

Joel

ASAGlove.jpg

(a) Palm width (top) 8 in.
(b) Palm width (bottom) 8 1/2 in.
(c) Top opening of web 5 in.
(d) Bottom opening of web 4 1/2 in.
(e) Web top to bottom 7 1/4 in.
(f) 1st finger crotch seam 7 1/2 in.
(g) Thumb crotch seam 7 1/2 in.
(h) Crotch seam 17 1/2 in.
(i) Thumb top to bottom edge 9 1/4 in.
(j) 1st finger top to bottom edge 14 in.
(k) 2nd finger top to bottom edge 13 1/4 in.
(l) 3rd finger top to bottom edge 12 1/4 in.
(m) 4th finger top to bottom edge 11 in.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
I think I have had maybe 2-4 gloves over the many years that have been illegal by measurements......they were always too long over J......and by a good margin........I believe one was in a 14U GP game.

Joel

firemanbutch

~Brag Post~ ;)
Can I just ask when the last time anybody anywhere has seen a glove inspected?? I've been playing this game for 14 years and baseball my entire life and have never EVER seen or even heard of anyone being suspected of having an "altered" glove. Does this really happen that often?

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
Can I just ask when the last time anybody anywhere has seen a glove inspected?? I've been playing this game for 14 years and baseball my entire life and have never EVER seen or even heard of anyone being suspected of having an "altered" glove. Does this really happen that often?

Saw it a couple of times in HS baseball in the 70's. I was scorekeeping back then.

When umpiring softball it was always brought up by a coach............there are many coaches that will try anything to get into the other teams head.

Had it brought up many times.....but can only recall a couple of times when the glove was actually illegal and only after an ass coach insisted.

Joel