Aluminum bat advice

HMW 7

Addicted to Softballfans
Haven’t been to the boards in a while. Hoping to get some advice. I’m playing in a coed league this year for the first time. The rules are that the guys have to use aluminum bats. We can use either a 52/300 or 44/375 ball. I’ve still got my bats from the late 90’s like the Supercell EST’s, 3DX, etc. Are these bats the best option for these softballs or are there better/newer aluminum options to be had? I’m assuming the 44/375’s will work better with these bats. I’d appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
"aluminum bat" is pretty open. is it restricted to one piece singlewall only? Are composite handles ok? Are composite barrels ok (3DX is metal handle comp barrel)? Need more info...

blakcherry329

Geez, why are they giving you the option to hit harder balls???

Also, what S4M said, Need more details about what type of metal bats are allowed..

HMW 7

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah....this league is probably the worse run league I've played in so the rules haven't been properly spelled out to us yet....and the ball thing doesn't make any sense to me. At any rate, here is what I know. They don't have to be single wall bats. I talked to a guy that played in it last year and he said they all used a Demarini Steel. I think those have a composite handle so apparently that is ok but barrel must be aluminum. They say that you can use a 44/375 as long as it has an ASA stamp on it. So my question is what is the best bat/ball combination to use. If there's other info that you need, let me know. Thanks guys.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Steels do not have aluminum barrels (I guess they are called steel for a reason)? EST's are going to be as good as anything new out there and will probably outlast most other bats if using those 44's. The 52's would significantly extend the life of your metal bats and would be a better ball in hot days (44's would go much farther on cold days but will destroy metal bats)

FYI-Aluminum is somewhat of a vague term. While most metal bats use an aluminum alloy (aluminum blended with other metals), a number of manufacturers are starting to use proprietary metals which are not necessarily aluminum. For example, Steels are made from a steel alloy, not aluminum

xjarcher

On the mound
I'll sell you a mint 2010 Anderson Techzilla for $80 TYD. Neither ball can hurt it and they hit both nicely.

HMW 7

Addicted to Softballfans
Appreciate the offer....but when I cleaned out the closet I had three EST's and an orange crush that says Banzai Aluminum from back in the day. I think I'm good for now.

jd10

Came to make a bang
In the aluminum leagues i've played in, what they really mean is "not composite barrels". In those, they didn't care about how many walls or steel/aluminum, just that it wasn't composite. Not sure that your league is the same way, but it might be.

HMW 7

Addicted to Softballfans
etnstudios.....yeah the supercells are double wall but we can use them. They don't have to be single wall.

HMW 7

Addicted to Softballfans
xjarcher.......I was a big fan of supercells back in the day.....I'll probably stick with these for now. Hit my first softball homerun with this blue one back in 1998. It has sentimental value....lol.....of course everyone was hitting 47/525's back then. I'll be curious to see how they do with these new softballs.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
Appreciate the offer....but when I cleaned out the closet I had three EST's and an orange crush that says Banzai Aluminum from back in the day. I think I'm good for now.

Loved the crush, bet they ban that one quick, since it is plastic wrapped aluminum. Your est should do fine.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Yeah I guess it depends on who you talk to. All of the Mizuno Techfire Crushes, Techfire Orange Crush & Crushes are listed on ASA's website as composite. The Original Techfire Orange Crush is on the ASA banned list. If non-ASA bats are not an issue you are probably good to go & if that's the case I'm surprised the whole titanium bat thing has not come into play (since that is metal, not composite).

I love the old EST's. I still got a 2000 NIW Supercell EST5C (counterweight) & Supercell EST5 Gold that I try to bust out whenever I can. Any EST, PST (if u can handle one), Anderson RT/TZ is going to work well. Now if it doesn't require an ASA stamp RT Reloaded or TZ reborn are just a few worth considering as well.

HMW 7

Addicted to Softballfans
It's been so long since I've looked at the Crush I was surprised that it said aluminum on it. I remember it being considered composite way back. I'm definitely gonna try it though. I loved the old EST's too. I've got the first blue supercell they came out with and the first gold one they came out with the next year or so. When everyone else was swinging demarini's I was swinging EST's. Pretty much stuck with worth all these years too. Of course, once the composites came out these were put in the closet so it will be kinda cool to swing them again.

dfresh27

If just metal barrel......Anderson RT Reloaded or Techzilla Reborn will mash. You would be pretty much crossing the line swinging the Crush. Inside barrel is aluminum....outside is reinforced plastic.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Hit the 44/375's and use EST's, PST's and DeMarini Steels and Double Walls. If they actually only mean aluminum then Steels and PST's are out.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
It's been so long since I've looked at the Crush I was surprised that it said aluminum on it. I remember it being considered composite way back. I'm definitely gonna try it though. I loved the old EST's too. I've got the first blue supercell they came out with and the first gold one they came out with the next year or so. When everyone else was swinging demarini's I was swinging EST's. Pretty much stuck with worth all these years too. Of course, once the composites came out these were put in the closet so it will be kinda cool to swing them again.

I'm pretty sure the first EST was the black one.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah I guess it depends on who you talk to. All of the Mizuno Techfire Crushes, Techfire Orange Crush & Crushes are listed on ASA's website as composite. The Original Techfire Orange Crush is on the ASA banned list. If non-ASA bats are not an issue you are probably good to go & if that's the case I'm surprised the whole titanium bat thing has not come into play (since that is metal, not composite).

I love the old EST's. I still got a 2000 NIW Supercell EST5C (counterweight) & Supercell EST5 Gold that I try to bust out whenever I can. Any EST, PST (if u can handle one), Anderson RT/TZ is going to work well. Now if it doesn't require an ASA stamp RT Reloaded or TZ reborn are just a few worth considering as well.

I'm not convinced that the U-Trip only versions of any metal bats are actually different from their ASA counterparts aside from saving the bat maker $5 for the ASA stamp. PST's may be the exception and I'm betting the only difference on them was the amount of endload.

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
ogrt.jpg

/thread