always using the same bat?

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls
First i want to say that my team is not very good...but they are good guys and my friends so i continue to play on the team...also of value im not spectacular and certainly not the best player on the team.

However, i can hit fairly consistantly (base hits). I feel like it is because i use my own bat, and the same bat(s) all of the time. We have probably half of the team who doesnt have a bat so they borrow, which is fine since we are all friends, and i doubt anyone even has the power to break one of our bats. I am trying to figure out how to get the point across that if you use the same bat (and come out for some BP) i have a strong feeling your average will improve.

These guys go from swinging my 27oz Easton (pop out), then a 30oz combat (pop out), then a 28oz Miken (strike out) and wonder how it happens...

I have tried to explain the chances of improvement with consistant equipment but i just get looks like i am crazy...hell maybe i am

thekoo

The Veteran
First i want to say that my team is not very good...but they are good guys and my friends so i continue to play on the team...also of value im not spectacular and certainly not the best player on the team.

However, i can hit fairly consistantly (base hits). I feel like it is because i use my own bat, and the same bat(s) all of the time. We have probably half of the team who doesnt have a bat so they borrow, which is fine since we are all friends, and i doubt anyone even has the power to break one of our bats. I am trying to figure out how to get the point across that if you use the same bat (and come out for some BP) i have a strong feeling your average will improve.

These guys go from swinging my 27oz Easton (pop out), then a 30oz combat (pop out), then a 28oz Miken (strike out) and wonder how it happens...

I have tried to explain the chances of improvement with consistant equipment but i just get looks like i am crazy...hell maybe i am

No, you're absolutely right. My team all uses the same weight, so we haven't had that problem.

BROE

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with keeping the same bat. Once you actually get a feel for it, you should know what you can do with it.

Bon

Addicted to Softballfans

i'm a strong believer in consistant equipment...practice is repetition, and consitant equipment helps with this...IMO...

///m3

Manager
My team does the same thing. They will try one of my bats and not get a hit then go to my buddies 30 oz scn9 and hit a weak grounder. They won't listen though so what can you do.

KannonsDad

**** you
Consistency is huge. Do these guys just grab the first glove they see when running on the field for defense? Even whn slumping I use the same bat. My swing always seems to come back.

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls
My team does the same thing. They will try one of my bats and not get a hit then go to my buddies 30 oz scn9 and hit a weak grounder. They won't listen though so what can you do.

does your team refuse to hit BP also? I can get 3 of the guys on my team to come out fairly consistantly...the other 8 or so that rotate i am lucky to have them at the field 5min before the game starts, let alone to a BP session!

AKLncn

Addicted to Softballfans
Consistency is huge. Do these guys just grab the first glove they see when running on the field for defense? Even whn slumping I use the same bat. My swing always seems to come back.

lol...I'm taking the first glove I see this week. Not sure if it'll help, I'm the only LHT, but I'm trying it.

Yes, keeping with the same equipment, I've seen a consistent swing. Even if it's a crappy bat, you control it better, IMO.

BergerKing12

Addicted to Softballfans
I watch a lot of the guys on my team use different bats every at bat... I pick one bat and roll with it through thick and thin....

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls
lol...I'm taking the first glove I see this week. Not sure if it'll help, I'm the only LHT, but I'm trying it.

Yes, keeping with the same equipment, I've seen a consistent swing. Even if it's a crappy bat, you control it better, IMO.

agreed. I get some of my best oppo hits with my Bruiser!

munkman70

The Veteran
some people change, some don't. personally I change sometimes. If I am hitting good i won't change my bat unless the game is out of control. But if I go 0-2 to start a game and not hitting the sweet spot, theres a good shot I am grabbing something else out of my bag.

Depending on tourney rules I'll use a different one week to week. If I can use an ultra 2 obviously swinging that. Lots of tourneys go '04 ASA rules and allow the synergy 2 so I will swing that. Others are ASA and I will use my stealth or my scn8. Was using 30 oz synergy 2 this weekend, started popping out so I jumped to a 28 oz toxic my teammate had and hit 2 straight out. Next game went back to synergy 2 and went 4-5 with 3 homers....

so yea it alllll depends on the player and how much they actually play!! personally I am able to make adjustments and hit with most bats.

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls
some people change, some don't. personally I change sometimes. If I am hitting good i won't change my bat unless the game is out of control. But if I go 0-2 to start a game and not hitting the sweet spot, theres a good shot I am grabbing something else out of my bag.

Depending on tourney rules I'll use a different one week to week. If I can use an ultra 2 obviously swinging that. Lots of tourneys go '04 ASA rules and allow the synergy 2 so I will swing that. Others are ASA and I will use my stealth or my scn8. Was using 30 oz synergy 2 this weekend, started popping out so I jumped to a 28 oz toxic my teammate had and hit 2 straight out. Next game went back to synergy 2 and went 4-5 with 3 homers....

so yea it alllll depends on the player and how much they actually play!! personally I am able to make adjustments and hit with most bats.

sorry, i am talking about guys that play 1 or 2 in rec league a week at most.

i can understand if you have more than one bat and alternate or switch depending on the sanction or the week. I go from my 27 to my 30 depending on what i want to do...but they are bats i have swung quite a few times and are confortable with them

Kramit

consistancy is important, that's why i'll only swing 34 inchers ;). weight shouldnt matter, good hitters are good hitters and vice versa

Last edited:

AKLncn

Addicted to Softballfans
consistancy is important, that's why i'll only swing 34 inchers ;). weight shouldnt matter, good hitters are good hitters and vice versa

I think weight does matter, but I think end-load v balanced matters more.

It's a feel thing. I think you'll have a harder time getting a solid hit if you switch between balanced and end-load in the middle of a game.

vlcmstn_az

Manager
BP is your chance to try different bats. When it comes time for games, you should go with what worked best for you in BP. That is why I always try to get the guy that keeps switching back and forth between bats out to BP. It usually means that he struggling, but is blaming it on the bat.