Andy Pettitte back with Yankees

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
He's 39 (40 soon) won't be ready till May. He's basically pulling a Clemens and pitching half a year which is probably all you would need. Let's face it someone always gets hurt and having Andy in the back pocket in case one of the other starters goes down isn't a bad insurance policy. He was 11-3 with a low 3's era in 2010. He was never a power pitcher any way so if he can still nibble the corners and get guys to ground out it's worth a $2.5 million risk. He'd be underpaid if he performs well.

Gallops

Addicted to Softballfans
Way better pitchers in his era in the playoffs. Way better.
So yeah, you can have him :)

Name them.

You can't because there are none. I'm a Mets fan and I'll even admit that Pettite is probably the best post season starting pitcher ever. The stats don't lie. 19 wins and a 3.83 ERA career in the post season? The ERA isn't phenomenal, but this day and age it's a good ERA, and in the post season against the best of the best, it's very good. And 19 wins? Next closest is 8, and that's Mariano Rivera. After him it's Sabathia, Beckett, Cliff Lee, and Livan Hernandez with 7. None of them are catching him. In fact, none of them will come close.

njarcher21

Addicted to Softballfans
Name them.

You can't because there are none. I'm a Mets fan and I'll even admit that Pettite is probably the best post season starting pitcher ever. The stats don't lie. 19 wins and a 3.83 ERA career in the post season? The ERA isn't phenomenal, but this day and age it's a good ERA, and in the post season against the best of the best, it's very good. And 19 wins? Next closest is 8, and that's Mariano Rivera. After him it's Sabathia, Beckett, Cliff Lee, and Livan Hernandez with 7. None of them are catching him. In fact, none of them will come close.

I'll start...Curt Schilling was better and it's not even close.

Gallops

Addicted to Softballfans
Oh...and you're wrong about the next closest in wins so there's that too.

Those are active players. Unless Smoltz or Glavine decide to pitch again, nobody is matching Pettites numbers. And the numbers don't lie. Pettite is better.

pats2812

Addicted to Softballfans
Ding ding ding. That was easy.

When it comes to postseason statistics, Pettitte is four ahead of John Smoltz for most wins, seven ahead of Tom Glavine for most starts, and nearly 45 ahead of Glavine with regards to innings.

a postseason resume that is arguably the best in history -- a record 19 wins, 42 starts and 263 innings pitched en route to a 3.83 ERA and five World Series rings.

pats2812

Addicted to Softballfans
wins: Schilling 216, smoltz 213, Pettitte 240
losses: schilling146 smoltz 155 pettitte 138

numbers dont lie

njarcher21

Addicted to Softballfans
When it comes to postseason statistics, Pettitte is four ahead of John Smoltz for most wins, seven ahead of Tom Glavine for most starts, and nearly 45 ahead of Glavine with regards to innings.

a postseason resume that is arguably the best in history -- a record 19 wins, 42 starts and 263 innings pitched en route to a 3.83 ERA and five World Series rings.

wins: Schilling 216, smoltz 213, Pettitte 240
losses: schilling146 smoltz 155 pettitte 138

numbers dont lie

look at their postseason numbers and tell me that Pettitte is better. Wins...srsly, you're using ****ing wins.

Marshenko

Good ****ing lord... I thought... I mean.

HGH has the most postseason wins because he's been in, by far, the most post...
Forget it. God ****ing damn.