Andy Purcell

KannonsDad

**** you
Is he the last "tough guy" in upper ball to not wear a mask? Even his 1st baseman wears a helmet. I think the fear of a middle shot effects his ability to pitch.

byrd00

Addicted to Softballfans
Heard him comment one time that he doesn't wear one because of the obstruction of view.

Sburgy4

Addicted to Softballfans
At that level, if guys go middle you don't have the time to "flinch". A lot of teams don't hit at him because he's got 4 guys behind him with there names on a bat to back him up lol

Last edited:

Primo

fat and famous pablo
At that level, if guys go middle you don't have the time to "flinch". A lot of teams don't hit at him because of well he fields it, and he's got 4 guys behind him with there names on a bat to back him up.

Really? I always kinda thought people thought the only way to beat them was to get Purcell off the bump

Rosetothehall

Addicted to Softballfans
So a couple of facts.
Purcell got thinner a couple of years ago. Started with P90X. (How this got brought up I will never know) LOL
He has been shipped alot of masks over the last 5 or so years. He wants to wear one, but, he doesnt because they hurt his peripheral vision. Thats a quote BTW.

blakcherry329

Props on playing league modified with the clincher gold, not many of us left, if ur ever in nj, holla at me 2 bp and show off that knuckleball
Lol. I am in NJ. Up by Hackensack. Always up for BP.:biggthumpup:
At that level, if guys go middle you don't have the time to "flinch". A lot of teams don't hit at him because of well he fields it, and he's got 4 guys behind him with there names on a bat to back him up.

On that level, doesn't every team have great players?:confused:
Might just be easier to hit to 3 outfielders than 6 infielders:biggthumpup:

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Is he the last "tough guy" in upper ball to not wear a mask? Even his 1st baseman wears a helmet. I think the fear of a middle shot effects his ability to pitch.
By no means am I on or never will I be near his level, but when I wear my mask it makes me lazy on fielding middle. My mentality with a mask on is they can't hurt me (too bad) so I get lazy.
He has been shipped alot of masks over the last 5 or so years. He wants to wear one, but, he doesnt because they hurt his peripheral vision. Thats a quote BTW.

I remember hearing them say that.

gsus03

Banned User
you think a company would have made a mask that he liked already...if he wore a specific mask, a lot of them would be sold

ProTow34

just here for the beer!!!
don't be surprised when ALL pitchers in slow pitch softball at ALL levels are REQUIRED to wear some sort of face protection.. it would make sense for the sanctions to protect the players, and I would be willing to bet that it would make insurance a lil more affordable..

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls
I do feel confident with my Faceoff mask on, but it does limit my abilities and mabe it makes me lazy. I feel like I was much better fielder without it. But I wont go out there in competitive play without something covering my mug

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
don't be surprised when ALL pitchers in slow pitch softball at ALL levels are REQUIRED to wear some sort of face protection.. it would make sense for the sanctions to protect the players, and I would be willing to bet that it would make insurance a lil more affordable..

I will be surprised. They've had this argument for batting helmets ever since they switched to a poly-core ball and too many people resist it.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
you think a company would have made a mask that he liked already...if he wore a specific mask, a lot of them would be sold

You would imagine Worth could work with him and design one. Like you said if he would be a big part of designing it the mask would sell.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Funny, the Worth mask has the best field of view I've tried. Actually gives me confidence for getting down on grounders but I understand it's not natural for him to wear one. He's a big boy very capable of deciding what's best for him and he's playing on a level we don't really have room to criticize.

blakcherry329

I am ten times the fielder with my helmet or mask.

Me too. I was never scared of the ball anyway, but hard ground balls are always a crap shoot on the crappy fields in NNJ. I guess on the nicely manicured fields the Major players are used to, you can be a little more cavalier about wearing a mask. ;)
My Lacrosse helmet makes me feel invinceable:painkiller::biggthumpup:

blakcherry329

Funny, the Worth mask has the best field of view I've tried. Actually gives me confidence for getting down on grounders but I understand it's not natural for him to wear one. He's a big boy very capable of deciding what's best for him and he's playing on a level we don't really have room to criticize.

Definitely the truth here.