Another BP ball question.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Im thinking about ordering some BP balls. I love the durability of the NX3's, but my only interest ordering BP balls is to save the bats some wear and tear. Does anyone feel like the NX3's are going to be much harder on bats than an Evil BP ball?

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Why not use old game balls?

We hit M's in one league and .44/575's in another league, but I would like to take BP with something that is a little easier on bats once the weather cools down. I have some +'s in a bucket from a few years back, but the +'s are getting fewer in number and being replaced with retired M's.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
I use the Evil BP 52+. Good in any weather on any bat.

Probably the way I'll go. I really like the durability of the NX3, but they SEEM like they would do more damage than a conventional ball. Since my entire interest in a BP ball is for saving bats(including difficult to replace single-walls) when taking BP in the fall, I'm reluctant to use the NX3's for that purpose.

lukeamdman

Probably the way I'll go. I really like the durability of the NX3, but they SEEM like they would do more damage than a conventional ball. Since my entire interest in a BP ball is for saving bats(including difficult to replace single-walls) when taking BP in the fall, I'm reluctant to use the NX3's for that purpose.

I have heard a few reports that the NX3 is a little harder on bats than the 52+.

In terms of durability, I have yet to break a single 52+. I'm the endcap king so that says something.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
I have heard a few reports that the NX3 is a little harder on bats than the 52+.

In terms of durability, I have yet to break a single 52+. I'm the endcap king so that says something.
That does say something. Our endcap king was the one that kept breaking our Evil Classic M's. He's gone and our balls do last longer now. If those things will take endcap shots, then they're pretty tough.

Party mafia

is it a bad idea breaking your bat at a batting cage that uses those hard dimble yellow ball? Those yellow balls are hard as a rock thought.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
is it a bad idea breaking your bat at a batting cage that uses those hard dimble yellow ball? Those yellow balls are hard as a rock thought.

I kinda think you missed the point of this post. I'm trying to save my bats, not break them.

I don't think those balls are very hard, but they get heavy and water logged. Whatever the case, yeah they break bats.

Dan411

Star Player
I kinda think you missed the point of this post. I'm trying to save my bats, not break them.

I don't think those balls are very hard, but they get heavy and water logged. Whatever the case, yeah they break bats.

Tattoo is making a new BP ball which is in the NX3 mold/style. So it's a one-piece. Not to be confused with the spinner (green and yellow), which hits and feels similar to a Rocket in my opinion. Its marketing description:
    • Specially formulated .52 cor ball designed for maximum performance and minimum impact
    • This ball is designed for maximum performance for bats that are designed to specifically use a .52 cor ball
    • Two color panel combination is easier on the eyes and more optically correct in the color spectrum
  • Specifically designed BP ball with a unique COR/COMP combination for bat break in and minimal bat damage.
  • 100% waterproof with a heat infused urethane cover for longer lasting durability and longer CORE life.
  • 100% washable for those muddy days when BP is a must.
  • Just hit them and hose them off, they will be ready for your next BP session.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Tattoo is making a new BP ball which is in the NX3 mold/style. So it's a one-piece. Not to be confused with the spinner (green and yellow), which hits and feels similar to a Rocket in my opinion. Its marketing description:
    • Specially formulated .52 cor ball designed for maximum performance and minimum impact
    • This ball is designed for maximum performance for bats that are designed to specifically use a .52 cor ball
    • Two color panel combination is easier on the eyes and more optically correct in the color spectrum
  • Specifically designed BP ball with a unique COR/COMP combination for bat break in and minimal bat damage.
  • 100% waterproof with a heat infused urethane cover for longer lasting durability and longer CORE life.
  • 100% washable for those muddy days when BP is a must.
  • Just hit them and hose them off, they will be ready for your next BP session.

Yeah I was looking at those, but wondered if the one-piece thing would be harder on bats than the Evils.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
People are still chasing our ideas and thats just fine. What you want is sold at the SBF store right here, http://www.softballfans.com/evil-ba...ball-52-300-softball-dozen-evil-bp-52-dz.html

image_76.jpeg

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
If I were you I'd just go on ebay or visit some area parks that use .52s and start searching. Find as many .52s as you can and just hit those.

milesej05

The Rookie
I'm not sure that I like the multi-colored cover. Is the ball any different than a regular .52?

The multicolored BP balls fly much farther than typical .52/300 softballs...they also feel quite a bit lighter. So every swing you hit a HR in bp then game time comes around and you have Warning track power.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
The multicolored BP balls fly much farther than typical .52/300 softballs...they also feel quite a bit lighter. So every swing you hit a HR in bp then game time comes around and you have Warning track power.

No, they don't. I won't say they fly less, but they definitely don't fly more.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
If I were you I'd just go on ebay or visit some area parks that use .52s and start searching. Find as many .52s as you can and just hit those.

It's hard to find .52's around here. M's are stil legal in the U-trip league and the non-U-trip league allows any ball .44 COR or below. I'm trying to get that league to switch to .52's, but with the Dudley .52/550 available it might be hard to get them to go to .52/300's as they're old school and adding compression to the mix might be too much for their simple minds. Perhaps next year I could talk them into any U-trip ball. The Stadium ball hits about the same, but is not easier on bats. Anyway, we've hit the same dozen NX3 M's for two sessions with zero visible damage and two balls lost. I ordered a dozen NX3 +'s for the team just to see how they are. It's been a cool summer, but it's still on the warm side to be hitting M's. I'm hoping that maybe the one-piece thing combined with the heat will make them worth hitting instead of the whole team asking why on earth I ordered those balls. Lol. Either way, we'll have two choices.

Last edited:

tattooball

All NX3 softballs have a lower severity index than the same cor/comp of a stitched ball. We tested them and it is reality.
In fact one of the biggest associations had a private meeting at the national convention in November for us to discuss how we are getting the performance we are with such low Dynamic stiffness numbers. That same association will be implementing rules to make sure the 1 piece balls don't get out of hand on performance.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
TW, Please dont comment on my products any more. You are not helping anyone as all you do is cause confusion about the brand. YES the BP52 and the Rocket have exceptionally durable covers, people report having them in use for multiple years.

lukeamdman

Again, no it isn't. 99% of balls you'll see in games aren't leather covered either.

I have a few buckets of each and I can assure you after using them each for the last year over thousands of hits that the cover on the 52+ is FAR more durable. It's not even close.

It makes sense too since the 52+ is designed to be hit thousands of times in BP and the games balls only need to survive one night (they'll obviously last longer than that though).