ASA Another Interference Question

OneZero

Showboat
Reading one of the interference discussions and it reminded me of a situation that happened a couple weeks ago. Tried to look it up in the rule book but didn't see anything this specific.

I'm on 2B, no outs, no other runners on base. Batter hits a high infield pop-up to the vicinity of 2B. 2nd Baseman calls the ball and begins tracking toward me on the bag. I'm standing on the bag, left foot on the bag and right foot off the bag towards 3B. I realize I'm about to get run into and only duck my head to try to avoid getting drilled in it by the ball. Fielder runs into me, ball lands about a foot to my right, ump doesn't say much other that its a live ball and batter makes it safely to 1B.

Defense was arguing that I interfered by not trying to move out of the way of the fielder, saying that I could have moved but didn't. I guess their argument was something like a voluntary, involuntary interference? Technically, I probably could have moved but any movement I make is purely beneficial to the defense because of the lack of a force, and if I happen to step off the base and he catches the ball I'm at risk.

Should there have been any kind of a call? I thought the ump was correct. He basically didn't entertain any arguing and said again it was a live ball and the game continued from then on.

Just curious, the interference/obstruction rules seem fairly open to umpire discretion...

Joker

you are not obligated to give up the base unless forced by a runner behind you

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
A runner in contact with a base can only be called for interference with the ball or the fielder if the interference is judged to be intentional. Just holding your position isn't intentionally interfering.

No rule book handy right now, but this is covered under section 8-8, the section about "A Runner is NOT Out When..."

Shoeless_Joe

Addicted to Softballfans
Joker and BretMan (as usual) have your answer covered here. Side question out of curiosity ... did ump really verbally say "live ball" as you described? BretMan can correct me if I'm wrong here but umpire shouldn't have said anything until after play was over in any type of explanation to the question of his call.

sjury

The Old Man
The other team needs a better SS. Call the 2B off the pop fly to that side the bag.