ASA Any Regional or Directors want to give me....

Compas1

Star Player
Any regional directors or higher up that may be want to give me their spin on this question???

We have a league team made up of 100% legit tourney players with a 1 up homerun rule in our league. 52/300 ball and ASA bat list are used.

As a team any of our guys can hit the ball out up and down the lineup... As a team rule, we decided if a batter hits a solo homerun, the batter is to not run the bases and take the out (so we dont waste the HR on a solo). We are required to run the bases in our league and any HR hit.

So on our team the batter can only take the HR if there is one or more guys on the bases.

I had asked our Head Umpire in Charge and he didnt have an issue with it, so we had done it a few times in league games.

Then we get an Email from the league director that we must take the HR when its hit. If we do not take the HR and leave the field of play, we will be charged the HR and given an out... Now how dumb is that???

What do you guys think???

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Yeah how do you get to choose to not have a HR count because someone wasted it on a solo? That seems like good pitching if they can get you to waste the HR on a solo. I have never heard of not taking a HR because you hit it with not enough runners on for your liking lol.

ureout

The Veteran
since this is a local league get together with the other teams and if there is a majority who want to have the option of taking the HR or an out... then get with the rec, director... local rules are made and changed all the time for the benefit of the teams....as long as safety is not an issue

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
since this is a local league get together with the other teams and if there is a majority who want to have the option of taking the HR or an out... then get with the rec, director... local rules are made and changed all the time for the benefit of the teams....as long as safety is not an issue

I'm all for that.....except the players don't get the point that they are local rules and do not apply to championship play.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
You have so many modifications to the standard playing rules that it would be impossible to say for sure what your league director might come up with. The rule would be, literally, whatever he says it will be.

But...let's assume a league where the bases must be run and all other rules apply "by the book".

1) A fair batted ball that leaves the field in-flight is a home run/four-base award.

2) All awarded bases must be properly touched.

3) If this batter just runs off the field, then you have a home run that counts against your total, a batter-runner who is called out for abandoning the bases, and the out negates the run from scoring.

You wouldn't get to choose "home run or out". You get both, without a run scoring...the worst of both worlds!

Country469

So what happens if you hit one off the fence and assumed it was going out and don't run the bases?

So what happens if the batter hits a line drive that he didnt think it going out and, gets to first base hustling for extra bases, and it carries out?

Surely you can see how manipulating the rules like this is stupid and useless. it sounds like your guys are not really that good of hitters and should take that league time to work on becoming better rather than work on making rules to bail themselves out.

JabNblue

Any regional directors or higher up that may be want to give me their spin on this question???

We have a league team made up of 100% legit tourney players with a 1 up homerun rule in our league. 52/300 ball and ASA bat list are used.

As a team any of our guys can hit the ball out up and down the lineup... As a team rule, we decided if a batter hits a solo homerun, the batter is to not run the bases and take the out (so we dont waste the HR on a solo). We are required to run the bases in our league and any HR hit.

So on our team the batter can only take the HR if there is one or more guys on the bases.

I had asked our Head Umpire in Charge and he didnt have an issue with it, so we had done it a few times in league games.

Then we get an Email from the league director that we must take the HR when its hit. If we do not take the HR and leave the field of play, we will be charged the HR and given an out... Now how dumb is that???

What do you guys think???
Well, you stated at the end of your inquiry, the league director. This is not an umpires call especially in league play. If your director and ALL teams agree on this before season starts then umpires will comply with league rules given. Who added the rule that player hitting the home run has to run the bases?

JabNblue

Why don't you just not hit a HR...

You shouldn't be able to choose a HR. if you lose it on a solo homer...thats on the hitter...
If all these players in this league is so called bombers, why is there only one home run allowed? Most ASA list 5, but we keep our rec leagues to 3. Again all of this is between the LD and teams. If you have umpires that allow league rule modifications during season games, shame on them for allowing the changes.

Compas1

Star Player
Well, you stated at the end of your inquiry, the league director. This is not an umpires call especially in league play. If your director and ALL teams agree on this before season starts then umpires will comply with league rules given. Who added the rule that player hitting the home run has to run the bases?

I discussed it with my UIC in the umpires meeting and certification before the season started. He didnt have an issue with it. Then a book keeper couldnt get her head around why we wouldnt want the HR to count from our Leadoff batter on the very first pitch of the game. It took her 3 innings to shut up about it. I guess she raised the question to her boss, who then contacted my boss, who then had to go to his boss for a final clarification. Mind you our UIC boss is a sawed of little troll who thinks he makes the world turn. So it came back from the troll that we must take the homerun and if we dont will be called out and still charged the HR...

Compas1

Star Player
If all these players in this league is so called bombers, why is there only one home run allowed? Most ASA list 5, but we keep our rec leagues to 3. Again all of this is between the LD and teams. If you have umpires that allow league rule modifications during season games, shame on them for allowing the changes.

The HR rule was amended to allow lower teams to compete and not get blown out of the water. We do have a lot of good bats in our line up, but we do have a few youngsters who over swing and will hit out line drive. Mind you I started playing in this league when I was 22 with red and blue dots, est and Zcores were the ****, and it was unlimited bombs. Now its 1 up with 52/300.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
The HR rule was amended to allow lower teams to compete and not get blown out of the water. We do have a lot of good bats in our line up, but we do have a few youngsters who over swing and will hit out line drive. Mind you I started playing in this league when I was 22 with red and blue dots, est and Zcores were the ****, and it was unlimited bombs. Now its 1 up with 52/300.

This is not benefiting anyone but your team. If your leadoff guy hits the only bomb you have, in the beginning of the game, on the first pitch...then every bomb after that is an out...a good pitcher would throw everyone cookies and your legit tourney team would hit a bunch of DBO's...

Sounds like an easy game for the other team...

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans

You've been playing ball that long and still think that just because you don't run the bases the HR isn't going to count??? And it isn't the UIC that is a troll, the troll is the DB player trying to make **** up to give his team an advantage. Who's trying to get over on the league, the UIC or the "legit tourney team" playing in a solo HR league and trying to manipulate the rules?

ScootDog

Rather be surfing
This in Santa Maria?