Anyone ever break an OG Yellow Cat?

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Just wondering. I know it's been done. How many hits? Temps? Shaved? Rolled? Got one with lots of hits that's still hitting well? Mine must have at least 5000 on it. It's hot, but not cracked bat hot. Still, I haven't hit many bats that were that hot in good condition. Shame it doesn't have a dang thumbprint. Luckily we have one league out here that goes one session and allows anything that isn't senior or on the ASA banned list.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Haha! I love it. I was told tonight. "You'll never break that Cat", and I thought I would set out to, then I thought about how much I would miss it. I decided to live vicariously through the board.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^ it's that dang Chinese crap. Supposedly the same bat, but terrible quality control. Of course who really knows. The Chinese have been caught substituting cheaper lower quality plastics in numerous markets, so heck, they could have used a cheaper resin against LS's wishes. Or just not enough resin. Could be anything. Now I don't know anything technically, and never owned a Maverick, but if I remember correctly, the Maverick and another budget LS bat were marketed as "the same C-1C composite as a catalyst". Of course that could mean anything, but I always assumed that it meant they used the same fibers and layup pattern as a Catalyst. If there was a difference, it must have been the resin. If that's the case, then the Chinese re-issue might be closer to a Maverick than a Catty, thanks to poor quality control. Heck, if they get sloppy with their layup, it could be worse than a Maverick. Composites are definitely an area where you gotta go with a manufacture with a good rep. How the #€|| are you gonna know they did a bad job by looking at it? Miken is made in USA, and that's hard to beat.

chirotob

I still have my OG Yellow and Shrek cattys. I think you need to be the Hulk on steroids to break either of them.

I LOVE my og yellow. It has like 5k swings on it and isn't showing any signs of breaking. Sucks I can't use it anymore.

Strangely, I don't have the same level of love for the Shrek. It never opened up, even with 1000 swings on hard utrip balls. It's great on clinchers though, LOL.

I have both the red and yellow RI cattys. Not the same bat at all. I guess I have a batch with decent QC because they have over 200 swings each and still just fine. They don't feel the same, they ball doesn't come off the same...it's just not the same bat.

herts9

SEMI-RETIRED LEGEND
It was hitting decker sharks in 50 degree weather that day. I shouldn't have been swinging it. It was totally gamer status. This was either 2007 or 2008, and I still haven't gotten over it :eek:

They were fun swings though!

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Now, I had the stupid red endloaded Catty, and I might have gotten 50 swings out of it. The barrel literally shattered during a tourny. Lousiest bat I've ever owned.

I have no clue, but that red Catty was HORRIBLE. It never got hot, felt like crap, and then literally shattered 50 swings in. A friend of mine had one do exactly the same thing.

^^^ it's that dang Chinese crap. Supposedly the same bat, but terrible quality control.

I honestly think there were bad runs of the red Catty. I've heard of a bunch breaking early but I owned 2 and they were bulletproof. I used the first one for 2 seasons, broke it in with hard balls, and used it in the cold. 2000+ swings before the endcap came loose, the bat itself never cracked or developed a rattle. A teammate is still swinging the second one I bought. They both killed balls right out of the wrapper.

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
Still have my Green catty. I know it has over 5000 hit on it. Darn near killed myself one year trying to get that thing broken in. When you hit the sweet spot in it the ball just flew...some of the longest hits I've had with any bat. The only problem was hitting that sweet spot. It's was almost like it would change location from pitch to pitch and was only the size of a golf ball. Never worried about using that in temps below 30 degrees.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Still have my Green catty. I know it has over 5000 hit on it. Darn near killed myself one year trying to get that thing broken in. When you hit the sweet spot in it the ball just flew...some of the longest hits I've had with any bat. The only problem was hitting that sweet spot. It's was almost like it would change location from pitch to pitch and was only the size of a golf ball. Never worried about using that in temps below 30 degrees.

I still have a pair of green Cattys. I swing one of them occasionally in ASA with .52s. Bit of an enigmatic bat. One hit will be a bomb and go 370', and the next one will feel just as good but not go anywhere. It's a good bat, but way outclassed by some of the newer ASA stuff.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
My Yellow was my first comp and first U-trip stick. I self tossed myself two buckets on a baseball field that's 320' to the poles and 400' in center. It was a complete log. The worst bat I'd ever swung. Except I end capped a Super Duper Blue Dot that was the first ball I ever hit outta that baseball field. Lol. Anyway, I went to a batting cage and could feel every hit sinking into the barrel more than the previous. After half of a round I quit for fear I would damage it and switched to my Red PST 120. It was also my first day with a PST. After five rounds, I went to the baseball field and pitched them to myself again. The Catty was a whole new bat. I went home and tapped it with a wood bat till it felt the same all over and have loved it ever since. Frankly it's the most forgiving bat I've ever touched. I've hit HR's off the taper. That PST took a while to break-in. Me and Wes21 would hit five rounds each with it at the batting cage on Saturdays, that's 200. Then I would hit five rounds a day on week days, that's 1000, and on Wednesday afternoons and Sunday afternoons we would each hit a couple rounds out of the bucket. That's 120. It took three or four weeks of that before it started pinging. When it did start pinging, I finally hit another ball outta that baseball field.

ETDave

Old School
I've had a green Catty for years. At 59, I don't think I'll live long enough to break it in. Just use it in cold weather. It's a tank, but just an average bat at best to me. If I could ever get it fully broken in I might change my mind.

They reissued them and the lot of idiots out there cracked them on bowling balls lamp posts and the like, because the return on them was the ever so delicate '14 RI Z-2000. Imbecils.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I think the return was the OG Z2000 when the reissue Catty's first came out. That's what led to the whole "Warrior return" fiasco and Dennis Turner telling everyone to shove their Catty's up their respective asses.

Thats why Z's were so popular. They spread that kickass sweet spot through the length of the barrel at the expense of having the durability of a pencil

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
My SV100 challenges your catty to a duel. Lol

For hotness or longevity? I like it too much to break it, even though I like it, I don't swing it too often because it isn't as endloaded as I like, and while it's quite hot, it really shined with Utrip distance balls. Most of today's bats are hotter with these softer balls.

e-dub

I have a 27oz OG yellow catty in my garage that's cracked. it belonged to a friend of mine who used it as a team bat back when they first came out. thousands of hits on it before it cracked. bat was an absolute bomb dropper :thumb:

Darracq

I just broke my buddies in half Saturday, 44 375s
It had a few zippers on it when I started swinging it. last ball I hit folded over.
Have no idea how many swings were on it.

blakcherry329

I've had a green Catty for years. At 59, I don't think I'll live long enough to break it in. Just use it in cold weather. It's a tank, but just an average bat at best to me. If I could ever get it fully broken in I might change my mind.

I agree.

The difference between the Green and Yellow Cattys is astronomical, imo.

You hardly see any green ones around, but the yellow cattys are still in full effect in clincher leagues up here.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
For hotness or longevity? I like it too much to break it, even though I like it, I don't swing it too often because it isn't as endloaded as I like, and while it's quite hot, it really shined with Utrip distance balls. Most of today's bats are hotter with these softer balls.

I picked up a green catty cuz someone said it was endloaded "like a PST" that idiot clearly had never swung a PST lol

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
I have a 27oz OG yellow catty in my garage that's cracked. it belonged to a friend of mine who used it as a team bat back when they first came out. thousands of hits on it before it cracked. bat was an absolute bomb dropper :thumb:

So it has been done at least two or three times!