Anyone struggle with Hip Bursitis?

jem74

Addicted to Softballfans
Developed some bad hip bursitis in past month... I'm 39 but in good shape,not overweight.. went into this year dealing with a SLAP tear in my throwing shoulder and yet this has become more difficult to tolerate than that!!! IDK how to remedy it.. hurts when I sit , hurts when I walk too much

RODOJR13

Addicted to Softballfans
When to see a doctor
Consult your doctor if you have:

-Disabling joint pain
-Pain for more than one to two weeks
-Excessive swelling, redness, bruising or a rash in the affected area
-Sharp or shooting pain, especially when you exercise or exert yourself
-A fever

The best treatment for hip bursitis, or any form of bursitis, is aimed at controlling the inflammation caused by this condition. As with any treatment program, always talk with your doctor before initiating any specific treatments. The general treatment of hip bursitis consists of:
•Rest
This usually means a period of time not participating in sports or activities that aggravate your symptoms. As a general rule of thumb, any activity that causes hip bursitis pain should be avoided--this only contributes to inflammation of the bursa.
•Anti-inflammatory Medications
Anti-inflammatory medications (e.g. Motrin, Aleve, Naprosyn, etc.) will help control the inflammation associated with hip bursitis. These medications are helpful for the pain as well as diminishing inflammation.
•Ice the Injury
Icing the area of hip bursitis often helps to alleviate the symptoms of hip bursitis. Especially after exercise, ice can control inflammation, and stimulate blood flow to the injured area.
•Aspiration/Drainage of the Bursa
In some patients who have a significant amount of fluid that has collected within the bursa, a needle can be placed into the bursa to remove the fluid. This is rarely needed in cases of hip bursitis, but when it is done it may be combined with a cortisone injection (see below).
•Cortisone Injection
A cortisone injection may also be given into the bursa in patients with pain. The cortisone injection is helpful because it can be both diagnostic and therapeutic. In cases where hip bursitis may be one of several diagnoses being considered, cortisone can be given to see if the shot helps to alleviate symptoms.
Once the initial symptoms are controlled, some physical therapy strengthening and stretching exercises may be helpful.
•Stretching
Most patients find relief with stretching of the muscles and tendons that are found over the outside of the hip, specifically the iliotibial band. The idea is that a better conditioned muscle and tendon will glide more easily and not cause hip bursitis. Special attention to proper stretching technique is important.
•Physical Therapy
Working with a physical therapist is a useful treatment adjunct for patients with hip bursitis. Not only can the therapist help develop a proper stretching and exercise program, but they can use modalities such as ultrasound which may be helpful as well.

Woody54

Coach
I was in a bad car wreck 8 years ago and dislocated my hip even to this day I still have problems from it.. I was told by my surgeon with playing sports there is the risk of re dislocating it again.. The pain can be unbearable sometimes I typically stretch 20 mins before playing it does help some but after awhile it hurts like a mofo I've come to just deal with it..