For Sale April Horween Limited PRO504 Has arrived

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
I'm just days away from starting break in on mine but still holding out hope #10 is going to pop up.

Anyone else going with ASO break in on the horween or just standard mallet work and couch catch? I'm a HUGE proponent of regular ol elbow grease for break in but I'm too pumped to game this thing. Once I start break in, I don't know how long Ill be able to wait to game it.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
I'm just days away from starting break in on mine but still holding out hope #10 is going to pop up.

Anyone else going with ASO break in on the horween or just standard mallet work and couch catch? I'm a HUGE proponent of regular ol elbow grease for break in but I'm too pumped to game this thing. Once I start break in, I don't know how long Ill be able to wait to game it.
Elbow grease here also, although I'm sure I'll hit the break points several times (minimal though) with my trusty old dumbbell. Just plan on playing catch with my in house rocket launcher that I feed, clothe, and keep a roof over, she's helped break in quite a few gloves for me!

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
Elbow grease here also, although I'm sure I'll hit the break points several times (minimal though) with my trusty old dumbbell. Just plan on playing catch with my in house rocket launcher that I feed, clothe, and keep a roof over, she's helped break in quite a few gloves for me!

I have one of those too, but he's only 4 so his launch speed is currently less than sufficient for glove break in, especially horween haha

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
I have one of those too, but he's only 4 so his launch speed is currently less than sufficient for glove break in, especially horween haha
Man, enjoy it, eat up every minute of it! Anna will be headed off the college in 4 months and it seems like a blink, very hard for me to believe! She was 4 when she first played tee-ball, very fun!

Drumdoc10

I just pounded the break points. No hot hater or conditioners.

drocerda

Addicted to Softballfans
So tempting.. I'm still looking for a larger glove, but I've heard so many good things about the 504 that I'm tempted to buy it even tho it's less than 13".

1 question tho... Does the 504 play TIP with hand fully inserted or is the pinky stall so short that the hand hangs out of the glove pretty far?

NYC

Swag on 100.
So tempting.. I'm still looking for a larger glove, but I've heard so many good things about the 504 that I'm tempted to buy it even tho it's less than 13".

1 question tho... Does the 504 play TIP with hand fully inserted or is the pinky stall so short that the hand hangs out of the glove pretty far?
You can just wait until June for the 13" Harper Horween Pro303.

drocerda

Addicted to Softballfans
You can just wait until June for the 13" Harper Horween Pro303.

I'm playing 3B. From what I've read the 303 measures about 12.75, and the 504 is a true 12.5. Given that ppl seem to rave about the 504 for the infield, I think I could look past the size difference.

NYC

Swag on 100.
I'm playing 3B. From what I've read the 303 measures about 12.75, and the 504 is a true 12.5. Given that ppl seem to rave about the 504 for the infield, I think I could look past the size difference.
The June Horween release is a 3030 which is a 13" model. The 3039 is a 12.75".

Committed

BH34 - 504 - KB17

The BH34 is really long and will be my next OF gamer for Slowpitch. The pocket is better suited for softball, in my opinion.

Attachments

• 8D4725F6-1C3F-46D5-9D51-E8900BF53FC8.jpeg
    8D4725F6-1C3F-46D5-9D51-E8900BF53FC8.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 78

Party mafia

BH34 - 504 - KB17

The BH34 is really long and will be my next OF gamer for Slowpitch. The pocket is better suited for softball, in my opinion.
Could you post the weight on the bh34 horween, I m curious if the horween of the bh34 will be in the 28oz like the Easton small batch horween in a 12.75 inches. Thx

MaverickAH

Could you post the weight on the bh34 horween, I m curious if the horween of the bh34 will be in the 28oz like the Easton small batch horween in a 12.75 inches. Thx

While there may be small variances in different batches, Code 55 horween is Code 55 horween……...

Don't expect there to be any significant differences in weight between an ESB or a Rawlings horween. Unless the individual makers are taking active measure to reduce weight (less oil, reduced pieces, shaving, etc...…), you won't see anything noteworthy.

The data I've collected says to expect a glove wholly made of Code 55 Horween to weight in the area of roughly 2.1 oz. per inch +/- 0.15 oz no matter the brand.

Factors that will affect overall weight are web type, back type, padding & design. Modern Code 55 gloves tend to have design improvements which help to reduce weight & improve glove balance versus older Code 55 gloves (Think Made in USA Rawlings from the 70's & 80's. They're notoriously "top heavy".).

If you want to make a significant reduction in weight on a glove made from code 55 horween, don't make it all horween! Make in a hybrid! Make the back from kip leather or mesh. I know that Rawlings did make a few HOH hybrids with kip backs a few years ago but I've never handled one. I have handled other gloves made in this fashion & the savings in weight definitely made a difference without affecting glove performance & longevity. A kip leather back is highly preferred over a mesh or synthetic one. Chad, are you listening??? :D

milocoman

Administrator
Staff member
While there may be small variances in different batches, Code 55 horween is Code 55 horween……...

Don't expect there to be any significant differences in weight between an ESB or a Rawlings horween. Unless the individual makers are taking active measure to reduce weight (less oil, reduced pieces, shaving, etc...…), you won't see anything noteworthy.

The data I've collected says to expect a glove wholly made of Code 55 Horween to weight in the area of roughly 2.1 oz. per inch +/- 0.15 oz no matter the brand.

Factors that will affect overall weight are web type, back type, padding & design. Modern Code 55 gloves tend to have design improvements which help to reduce weight & improve glove balance versus older Code 55 gloves (Think Made in USA Rawlings from the 70's & 80's. They're notoriously "top heavy".).

If you want to make a significant reduction in weight on a glove made from code 55 horween, don't make it all horween! Make in a hybrid! Make the back from kip leather or mesh. I know that Rawlings did make a few HOH hybrids with kip backs a few years ago but I've never handled one. I have handled other gloves made in this fashion & the savings in weight definitely made a difference without affecting glove performance & longevity. A kip leather back is highly preferred over a mesh or synthetic one. Chad, are you listening??? :D

Always easy to say:)

Kip back would add significant cost to the glove. We thought briefly about a horween/hyper shell but decided against. We do have a DCT hyper in testing now though.

I hear it from both sides. People complain about the cheaper gloves that use synthetic materials getting floppy and no longer relevant to use. Create horween that will simply not do that and they complain about it being too heavy.

If we put kip on back it would be too expensive and more thank like no color match. If we put mesh, hyper, or speedskin on the back the mid finger lace on a 12.75" to 13" would tear relatively quickly.

We were in the process of experimenting with Horween weight reduction through Easton until that took a back seat.
1. Steerhide on the back keeping palm horween for longevity.
2. Reducing felt padding and utilizing lighter weight materials.
3. Possibly skimming horween thickness.

In the end sometimes you have to sacrifice to get something close enough. If the glove is an ounce heavier and that is the reason you can't buy then I can't help much with that. Hit the gym. :)

MaverickAH

Always easy to say:)

Kip back would add significant cost to the glove. We thought briefly about a horween/hyper shell but decided against. We do have a DCT hyper in testing now though.

I hear it from both sides. People complain about the cheaper gloves that use synthetic materials getting floppy and no longer relevant to use. Create horween that will simply not do that and they complain about it being too heavy.

If we put kip on back it would be too expensive and more thank like no color match. If we put mesh, hyper, or speedskin on the back the mid finger lace on a 12.75" to 13" would tear relatively quickly.

We were in the process of experimenting with Horween weight reduction through Easton until that took a back seat.
1. Steerhide on the back keeping palm horween for longevity.
2. Reducing felt padding and utilizing lighter weight materials.
3. Possibly skimming horween thickness.

In the end sometimes you have to sacrifice to get something close enough. If the glove is an ounce heavier and that is the reason you can't buy then I can't help much with that. Hit the gym. :)

More expensive? Well, only if the decision is to use the same grade of kip that Rawlings currently uses on their Pro Preferred gloves. It should actually be possible to use a kip grade leather sourced from elsewhere (think Taiwan) & keep the price in line with an all horween model. I've seen grades of kip that were light & tightly grained that would be perfectly suited for use a the back of a horween palmed glove. Granted, a monotone option would be less of a possibility unless it was all black, but a two-toned glove with tan palm & black back would still be primo & a popular option IMHO. Could I be wrong in this sometimes fickle market? Maybe, but I don't think so......

Rawlings mesh is not optimal although it's great for weight reduction & I have no experience with their other synthetic materials. I don't think that many would be happy with either of those options.

What I feel is hyper important in a glove is not overall weight but balance. Not that's not to say that weight can't be an issue, but if a glove balance well on the hand, it can exacerbate some of the issue. As I've said before, if you want to trim weight, trim it out of the fingertips & possibly the back & the front top half of the middle 3 fingers (index, middle & ring). It's definitely doable without impacting glove integrity.

I know that you said, "Hit the gym", with tongue in cheek but getting stroger is no guarantee of increasing reaction time. In fact, if not done properly with purpose in mind, it just might have the opposite effect!

Trust me when I say that your efforts are greatly appreciated. I know that it's not easy to take an idea & create a viable product especially when you're asking another company to implement it & take the risk. All I'm saying is that my personal experience & observations have shown that using a kip back would allow you to produce a horween palmed glove with the overall weight of a stock HOH glove.

I like to use the ratio of glove weight/ glove size to quantify how heavy a particular glove is.
  • Horween: ~2.1
  • High grade kip: ~1.9
  • High grade steer hide: ~1.85
  • Standard steer hide: ~1.75
  • Standard kip: ~1.7
All of these numbers have a standard variance of about +/-0.05 & can go higher or lower depending of build quality & web/back type. The amount of oil infusion can also be a critical factor.

I know that for me personally, an all horween glove at 12.5" is about the max I can use comfortably & even that's pushing the edge. Using a kip leather back would effectively reduce weight to the range of a stock HOH & allow you to build a glove up to 13.5" without too much of an adverse effect to weight.

Just stuff to think about...….

ragals17

Addicted to Softballfans
Anyone put a tape on theirs yet? Wondering if this measures big, short, or true to size. Also, could anyone post a picture with a baseball in the pocket? Thanks in advance!