Are 28's the new 30's?

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
Can’t sell 30’s here.

I sold a Sunday Swagger and a FuDawg plus a mystery bat, all three shipped for $100 a few months ago.

There’s only like 3 dudes on here who can actually swing them.
I have an old 34 oz. Rawlings I used to swing back when I was in my 20's. Thing feels like swinging a tree trunk now, compared to the 27's I swing now.

ShortYellowBus

Some of the 13.5” to 14” long barrel bats in 30oz weights feel about the same.

I really like the 2015 and 2016 long barrel Mikens in 30oz because it feels like a dream when you connect right on the screws.

blakcherry329

I have an old 34 oz. Rawlings I used to swing back when I was in my 20's. Thing feels like swinging a tree trunk now, compared to the 27's I swing now.
I have a 35oz SX9 that I use in the cages, sometimes, to loosen up. Very balanced. Swings lighter than 35oz.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Please be aware that the heavy bats will definitely alter your mechanics at the plate to compensate for the loss of bat speed.

In other words, you’re going to have to go into your swing sooner to achieve the results you’re looking for. Not only that, you’re putting more stress on your body; biceps, torso, hips and knees.

If you normally swing 27’s, perhaps you should pass on the opportunity to swing 30’s.

If you suddenly start striking out in games, you’ll know why.

Good point. Never thought that might mess up my mechanic. Plus my elbow and knees are not that great.

Your mechanics should be the same for any weight bat, the only thing that needs to change (very slightly) is your timing.

People get so caught up in never trying different weights, or they freak out if they buy a new bat and it's 0.4oz over sticker weight, etc.
Next time you take BP, switch mid-round from your 27 to a 30. I can almost guarantee you you'll adjust within a dozen balls or so.

ShortYellowBus

If it doesn’t affect your mechanics, there shouldn’t have to to be an adjustment.

Am I wrong?

If timing isn’t a requisite for good swing mechanics, perhaps I misinterpreted the concept of what is proper swing mechanics.

dunkky

so any idea how many cuts does 17 wegman flex asa need to be broke in? that thing has about 50 at max.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
If it doesn’t affect your mechanics, there shouldn’t have to to be an adjustment.

Am I wrong?

If timing isn’t a requisite for good swing mechanics, perhaps I misinterpreted the concept of what is proper swing mechanics.

Mechanics = physical aspects of the swing; eg: stance, leg kick, weight shift, hip rotation, shoulder rotation, etc...

If you look at video of your swing with a 26 and another video of your swing with a 30, they should look the same. One may be slightly slower, but if you looked at them frame by frame, all the physical positions should be the same.

Toying around with a different weight bat isn't going to screw up your hip rotation or impede your normal stride. It's just going to temporarily screw up your timing. It's not something people should be scared of, MLB hitters commonly do drills and BP with overweight bats.

ShortYellowBus

I didn’t know there was MLB caliber talent here discussing this. If that’s the case, you’re right.

I am not going to discuss this any further.

I assumed it was regular, perhaps overworked, dudes who don’t frequent the steroids shoppes.

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
Some of the 13.5” to 14” long barrel bats in 30oz weights feel about the same.

I really like the 2015 and 2016 long barrel Mikens in 30oz because it feels like a dream when you connect right on the screws.
Teammate had the DC Psycho in a 30 oz. I could absolutely destroy the ball with it, but would be gassed after 10-15 swings with it in BP. Hard to believe 2-3 oz. heavier makes that much of a difference.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Please be aware that the heavy bats will definitely alter your mechanics at the plate to compensate for the loss of bat speed.

In other words, you’re going to have to go into your swing sooner to achieve the results you’re looking for. Not only that, you’re putting more stress on your body; biceps, torso, hips and knees.

If you normally swing 27’s, perhaps you should pass on the opportunity to swing 30’s.

If you suddenly start striking out in games, you’ll know why.

Hah, what lameness. If you're a MAN, swinging a 30 oz bat will NOT alter your swing mechanics in the slightest.

ShortYellowBus

Swinging a 30oz bat.

I’ve seen guys the guys on my team pick up unnecessary injuries trying to swing my 30oz bats. Torn bicep, and a horrific ankle injury are the worst I’ve seen. Lower back injuries and knees are more common.

One guy on my team was putting so much effort, his stride was exaggerated by a high leg kick that when his foot touched the ground his ankle separated from its socket; his foot was loosely dangling in the air. He was rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery.

I asked him why he was kicking so high, he said he couldn’t get the bat head through the zone fast enough, so he had to do it.

He never played softball again.

Injuries that can be prevented are simply frustrating. I was simply speaking from experience. I bring one 30oz bat to bp now.

Thank you for your opinion. I appreciate all your feedback.

dunkky

folks, I think what syb is saying is that, if you don't have power to handle 30oz, don't force it cuz it will alter your mechanic. that is a true statement. human body will leverage anything it can to compensate the lack of your power.
think of it as weight lifting. if you force yourself to lift something that's out of your range, it will try to leverage other parts of muscle for extra help instead of your targeted muscle. End result is, you are compromising your form and mechanic.

Same thing for softball swing. i don't think syb is saying don't do it, but do it in proper way with caution in gradual manner.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I’ve seen guys the guys on my team pick up unnecessary injuries trying to swing my 30oz bats. Torn bicep, and a horrific ankle injury are the worst I’ve seen. Lower back injuries and knees are more common.

One guy on my team was putting so much effort, his stride was exaggerated by a high leg kick that when his foot touched the ground his ankle separated from its socket; his foot was loosely dangling in the air. He was rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery.

Jesus Christ, do you play on a leper colony?

folks, I think what syb is saying is that, if you don't have power to handle 30oz, don't force it cuz it will alter your mechanic. that is a true statement. human body will leverage anything it can to compensate the lack of your power.

Or the heavier bat will force you to use your strongest muscles (legs and hips) instead of arm-swinging like a lot of people do with light bats. That's why baseball players do heavy-bat drills, to enforce proper mechanics.

think of it as weight lifting. if you force yourself to lift something that's out of your range, it will try to leverage other parts of muscle for extra help instead of your targeted muscle. End result is, you are compromising your form and mechanic.

Swinging a bat that's 2-3oz heavier than normal isn't quite the same as overestimating your deadlift by 50lbs.

blakcherry329

Swinging a 30oz bat.

I asked him why he was kicking so high, he said he couldn’t get the bat head through the zone fast enough, so he had to do it.

He never played softball again.

Injuries that can be prevented are simply frustrating. I was simply speaking from experience. I bring one 30oz bat to bp now.

Thank you for your opinion. I appreciate all your feedback.
This has got to be Senior Softball. geez

jkwoody22

League ball huer
Right same all the 50 year old guys I play with swing 28 and 30 senior bats or regular Asa utrip etc, all the youngster swing 25/26 I prefer 27 and I’m 43 lol

ShortYellowBus

The only reason he makes that garbage in those weights is because he couldn't get them approved at anything heavier, for certain models at least. ****in floating inner pool noodle.
Oh that is just Carl putting a spin on a business decision.

It’s cheaper to make one product in one way and repaint them in different colors, than it is to make multiple in varying weight.

I remember him saying that, but just because he said it doesn’t make it true.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I see more 27-30oz bats in senior ball than I do in Utrip, where 27 is apparently too heavy for the kids...they think my 28oz Z's are warmup bats.

I just started playing in a 35+ wood bat league. Not uncommon to see 45-55 year-olds swinging 32+ ounce bats.

r8dr_rider

What does 1 or 2 oz really matter in a game where you need to hit a ball that is thrown underhand? I understand my wife couldn’t swing a 28 or 30. But if a grown ass man can’t hit a ball because the bat is 2oz heavier then what he normally swings, then he should find a different sport. I have 26s, 27s and 28s. No 30s yet.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
What does 1 or 2 oz really matter in a game where you need to hit a ball that is thrown underhand? I understand my wife couldn’t swing a 28 or 30. But if a grown ass man can’t hit a ball because the bat is 2oz heavier then what he normally swings, then he should find a different sport. I have 26s, 27s and 28s. No 30s yet.

I agree. However, many guys I play with act like a 28 oz bat weighs 30 pounds. They'll swing 26s all day, but attempt to get them to swing a 28 and they balk immediately.

Bat weights seem to be a mental thing for a lot of people. If you put out a 28 oz bat but put 26 oz weight stickers on it guys would swing it without hesitation or comment.