Arm strength

r8dr_rider

how does one build arm strength? Like CF throwing out a runner at home strong. Not asking for me, I’m old and my arm isn’t gonna get any better. But I want to get my kids to build a cannon. When I was younger and played hard ball I was good, hitting running fielding, but my arm was the one thing that lacked. Even now playing slow pitch I’m good but lack that arm. Any good drills? Or is it just something your born with? I did all the strength weight training in HS and college but that never helped.

Maybe I didn’t fap enough?

jkwoody22

League ball huer
When I was younger I had a much stronger arm, we used to throw a football everyday, short to long passes and then switch to throwing the baseball, again short to long toss probably threw about 250 “throws” total before playing games or practice, always helped stretch out the arm and kept mobility, we also did the Tom emansky thing by placing a bat bag (trash can) at various points/distance to hit for accuracy, now I’m 44 playing some outfield and have to hit the cut off, can still make decent throws when playing first, I sometimes now bring a football to warm up with and guys look at me weird, but it always worked for me, just lots of throwing helped me get stronger than weights by them selves

Jomatty

Starting Player
Just hit the cutoff man and call it a day. You either got it or or don’t.
I used to think this. Now 8 believe that you can learn hip-shoulder separation and really hone in on the mechanics in a way that we couldn’t do when I was a kid. Teach momentum and how to get that hip and shoulder separation and it will definitely get better...

ETDave

Old School
I've has good success by throwing a football. To get a spiral you have to have good mechanics and since it's heavier than a softball it increases arm strength.

Country469

doing some drills, working it out, etc, its just getting the most of your arm. If it was truly possible to add strength to the arm in such cases, you'd see professionals out there selling this service, and you'd see older pitchers getting developed still for professional ball.

25 years old is where they start writing you off, if not before.

Matth

doing some drills, working it out, etc, its just getting the most of your arm. If it was truly possible to add strength to the arm in such cases, you'd see professionals out there selling this service, and you'd see older pitchers getting developed still for professional ball.

25 years old is where they start writing you off, if not before.
You must not have read or watched "The Rookie"

Country469

I would ask my wife for the exact reason but she's tied up in orthopedic surgery again today. Maybe read something else, Dr Suess?

superfli18

Addicted to Softballfans
Building and incorporating Core and lower body strength come into play as well! Something I ignored in my youth. Wish I woulda had a coach stress that to me at a younger age and teach me how to properly incorporate into my throwing mechanics! I threw all arm from little league through high school. Throw harder now at 38 than I did when I was 18 with less effort. And the less effort is a necessity dt "all arm" technique used in my earlier years! Lol!

r8dr_rider

Good stuff here. Again this is for my daughters and son; both young but I want to get their full potential. Not for me, I just play rec ball. Im hoping a teammate strikes out so he can get the next pitcher of beer.