ASA 40/275 balls

crocdriver

I wish this was clever
I live in SoCal and unfortunately our local leagues use these BS balls (pic attached). We used to be able to use our older ASA bats (OG flex/Extended) to hit these rocks in one of my leagues but now we cant.
Banned bats list link https://usa.asasoftball.com/e/BB1P2000.asp

Anyways...i personally have gone through a DC41 and Worth est and i do not want to get another new bat for it to crack within a season or two.

Any suggestions or has any other SoCal player found a bat that holds up durability and performs well.
I was thinking a Salvo or something similar?

Attachments

• output (002).jpg
    output (002).jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Any dual stamp bat and or older easton from around 2015 thru 2017 or something like a juggy older or new.. forgot to mention combat

ShortYellowBus

They’re not that bad. In fact, Monsta lists those balls as acceptable to hit with their LC bats.

I have heard people say 40’s become harder in the cold. Perhaps a bat change might be better? I’ve never seen anyone with a good swing break bats.

In other words, if you’re a bad hitter and can’t hit the middle of the barrel each time, three shots on the endcap and you’ll be breaking bats.

I play in socal also using these balls and have broke 2 platinums in the last year and a half.

I've found in the cold, juggys work well but if you dont like the flex I've used the USA aftermath with good results and durability.

crocdriver

I wish this was clever
All the local ASA leagues hit the 40/275’s.
Yep. Except for BLD and small city run leagues.

They’re not that bad. In fact, Monsta lists those balls as acceptable to hit with their LC bats.

I have heard people say 40’s become harder in the cold. Perhaps a bat change might be better? I’ve never seen anyone with a good swing break bats.
I guess....but it doesnt get that cold here in SoCal...maybe the high 50s is the coldest for our winter night games.
In other words, if you’re a bad hitter and can’t hit the middle of the barrel each time, three shots on the endcap and you’ll be breaking bats.
All my bats cracked right in the middle, no end cap shots here.

Last edited:

ShortYellowBus

Yep. Except for BLD and small city run leagues.

All my bats cracked right in the middle, no end cap shots here.
Sorry, that’s unclear on my part. The leagues near me, not “all” the leagues. They use that ball for safety.

All the new bats come out of the wrapper super hot, which means the walls of the composite are thinner. Agreed? Right.

When you knock a few 80mph swings into the end of the bat, the bat has to absorb the energy and it causes the bat to flex unnaturally. The bat was not designed to flex this way.

A few of those end cap hits and the composite will begin an accelerated break down. That’s why some bats are seemingly new, but feel dead and never get better.

When you hit the middle of the barrel as per the design of the manufacturer, the composite of the barrel flexes evenly and the performance is in the energy that transfers from the bat back to the ball.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I live in SoCal and unfortunately our local leagues use these BS balls (pic attached).

I play in socal also using these balls and have broke 2 platinums in the last year and a half.

That's bizarre, those balls have lower compression than .52/300's. Lower COR balls get harder in the cold but I didn't figure that would be much of a factor in California. What temps are you guys playing in?

ShortYellowBus

That's bizarre, those balls have lower compression than .52/300's. Lower COR balls get harder in the cold but I didn't figure that would be much of a factor in California. What temps are you guys playing in?
It’s 73 in the daytime here, drops to about 60 at night.

Possibly warmer 100 miles south where they play.

Tuesday night it was 62 at 7:45 in Orange.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

I've hit those .40 275 balls before. They're absolute trash. Whomever even invented that cor/compression combo is an idiot. Its like a worse classic M. A ball that can be rock hard in temps below 70 and a marshmallow in anything above 80. For that ball to perform at the listed cor/compression you need it to basically be 70-80 degrees. Any .40 ball is a bat destroyer. The core has no elasticity/flexibility. The compression of the ball fluctuates WILDLY, going from below the listed 240 in heat to probably up around 600 in cold weather.

In the cold times of the year I'd recommend an old Easton or something. Any of the newer ASA bats are going to break hitting those balls.

I'd rather hit even the crappiest .52 300 than a .40 275. At least the .52 isn't going to get better or worse with temperature change.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Any .40 ball is a bat destroyer. The core has no elasticity/flexibility. The compression of the ball fluctuates WILDLY, going from below the listed 240 in heat to probably up around 600 in cold weather.

I knew the lower COR balls rock up in the cold. We used to hit .40/400's here in Canada and they'd routinely crack OG Eastons and ASA Recoils when it got chilly. I just didn't think they'd get that hard starting at 275# compression. Glad I've never seen one.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I knew the lower COR balls rock up in the cold. We used to hit .40/400's here in Canada and they'd routinely crack OG Eastons and ASA Recoils when it got chilly. I just didn't think they'd get that hard starting at 275# compression. Glad I've never seen one.

Compression might as well not even be listed on the ball if its .40 cor. The lack of elasticity makes the compression irrelevant. The ball is going to be a rock hard bat breaker in the cold and a pillow when its hot.

.52s are such a better ball.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I live in SoCal and unfortunately our local leagues use these BS balls (pic attached). We used to be able to use our older ASA bats (OG flex/Extended) to hit these rocks in one of my leagues but now we cant.
Banned bats list link https://usa.asasoftball.com/e/BB1P2000.asp

Anyways...i personally have gone through a DC41 and Worth est and i do not want to get another new bat for it to crack within a season or two.

Any suggestions or has any other SoCal player found a bat that holds up durability and performs well.
I was thinking a Salvo or something similar?

Do you play in Palm Springs?

crocdriver

I wish this was clever
Do you play in Palm Springs?
Nope. Fullerton mainly and occasionally now in San Dimas.
Temps are from low 60s to mid 70s during the evening games depending on the season.
Sometime colder in winter and warmer in summer.

These ball are trash and MLS refuses to change because thye have a deal with the manufacturer...is what i heard.

So....when my Freak 20 breaks...what do i buy? Omega Carbon seems to be looking well from other's suggestions.
I will be taking it to the league director and ask for some compensation since i voiced this concern in the managers meeting (not even the manager) lol

joey311

Star Player
I have found the JUGGYS to be the best performing bats year round (2013-2016 line). My experience with durability has been great and other that use them. I have never seen one break in action yet (personally). Even after they get a paint seam they hold up. They do have that flex handle but the juggys OVL line has a different handle and stiffer in My opinion. Might want to check the OVL LINE UP out.
Others that I like against the 40/275 would
-Demarini the ones (dual stamp) great performance and durability
-Demarini fudawg
-Demarini FUTURE/LEGACY dual stamp
-Easton B3,S2,S1,B4,L4,L6,L3 yeah any Easton!

The CL22 Juggy would probably be a good option as well. Juggy barrel with stiff handle. Could be tough to find but would be relatively cheap

El Departed

Any of the anarchy non l.c. Models will hold up well against that ball. I’ve been playing Mls for a few years and have had no issues with durability when using an anarchy bat.

Art102489

I play in the inland empire and the temps have been in the low to mid 60s I've been swinging my monsta sinister and demarini legacy haven't had any issues I did break my tps cuz in this weather unfortunately r.i.p