ASA Courtesy Runner

johnls722

Addicted to Softballfans
as of 2016 a courtesy runner can be any player not the last batted out correct? I am in a protest in teh championship about this. Thank you.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
It can be anyone on the ROSTER. Not the line-up, but anyone who's a rostered player, uniformed up, ready to go.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
as of 2016 a courtesy runner can be any player not the last batted out correct? I am in a protest in teh championship about this. Thank you.

Assuming there are no local rules involved and you are referring to SP, it can be any eligible player on the official line-up card which included substitutes.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Here's the rule:

ASA 8-9. Running (Masters and Seniors) (<==== ignore that, that's just a clerical error.)
A. Masters and Seniors Fast Pitch...
B. (All Adult Slow Pitch).
2. (All Adult Slow Pitch except Seniors) Any eligible player on the official line-up including available substitutes may be used as a courtesy runner. A courtesy runner may be used once per inning.

TEX1959

Addicted to Softballfans
Dang it, I am behind the times.
When did ASA start allowing courtesy runners for All Adult Slow Pitch???

Speed Demon

Part Time Player
I'm piggybacking this question. We have a woman who uses a pitch runner often in co-Ed. Sometimes she comes up the plate more than once in the same inning. Can she use a pitch runner more than once in the same inning under ASA rules?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm piggybacking this question. We have a woman who uses a pitch runner often in co-Ed. Sometimes she comes up the plate more than once in the same inning. Can she use a pitch runner more than once in the same inning under ASA rules?

There is really no such thing as a "pinch runner". Either it is a substitute or not and all re-entry rules apply.

If you are talking about a "courtesy runner" , the answer is no for adult slow pitch ball unless it is senior ball.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
That's correct. Each team can only use a courtesy runner one time per their half inning at bat.

If you roll through the line-up 3 times in an inning (and I've seen that happen), you still only get the courtesy runner just one time.

JabNblue

No. One substitute per half inning. Even in coed, only 1 per half, guy or gal .

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
Words have meanings. And it is helpful to everyone involved in the game if you use the correct words. Asking for a substitute and asking for a courtesy runner are two different things.

RustyShakleford

For ****s sake, we're talking on a forum not at ASA Worlds with the UIC. You knew what he meant but irish is just a bastard and has to say **** like that.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
For ****s sake, we're talking on a forum not at ASA Worlds with the UIC. You knew what he meant but irish is just a bastard and has to say **** like that.

You are having a discussion concerning rules in a page labeled "Ask the Umpire". Terminology is everything. If you want to be lazy about it, I suggest you take it so a page not dedicated to rules. BTW, ASA doesn't have "worlds", but I have been a UIC and at the national tournament level. Again, terminology means everything when discussing rules

RustyShakleford

We're not taking an umpire test here. You may know a lot but you don't need to be an ass when you talk about it on here. You constantly talk down to people like you're the king of umps. Lighten the **** up

RustyShakleford

For example instead of taking his post out of context, shooting the guy down, making it all about how much you know about the rules and want to beat down on people without teaching them.

Not true. You can have as many substitutions as you want and can afford anytime you please

You could have said "I think you mean courtesy runner instead of substitute. A substitute is handled differently than a courtesy runner and you are allowed as many substitutes as you want a game. Courtesy runners are only allowed once per half inning no matter the gender in co-ed."

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
For example instead of taking his post out of context, shooting the guy down, making it all about how much you know about the rules and want to beat down on people without teaching them.

Actually, I didn't take anything out of context. I responded to the specific wording provided.

You could have said "I think you mean courtesy runner instead of substitute. A substitute is handled differently than a courtesy runner and you are allowed as many substitutes as you want a game. Courtesy runners are only allowed once per half inning no matter the gender in co-ed."

Yeah, that would have been in post #8. Then again, being a Hillary supporter, I guess you cannot help feeling butt hurt every time someone doesn't agree with you and you need to find someone to blame. :)

Last edited:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Brought the popcorn...
5817628615_80f0eebc6a_z.jpg

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
We're not taking an umpire test here. You may know a lot but you don't need to be an ass when you talk about it on here. You constantly talk down to people like you're the king of umps. Lighten the **** up

Can we toss him? Come on, he's gotta go! :D

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I think that what Irish is driving at is that we all need to be clear and consistent on our terminology, else it ends up causing problems (and then conflict) on the field. The courtesy runner rule is brand new to ASA, and the sooner we get everyone on track with the right verbiage, the better.

Early in my fast pitch career, I had one incident in which terminology meant everything. Courtesy runners are allowed for pitchers and catchers, and there are specific rules regarding who can run for them, etc. I had a girl who was playing catcher get on base in one particular game, and the coach says, "Blue, #25 is going in to run for my catcher." "25 is running for your catcher, coach?" "Yep." Okay, so I'm thinking that we have a courtesy runner. Well, he actually meant by "going in" was that he was substituting in #25 for his catcher. Fast-forward a little later, and now #25 gets behind the plate when they're back on defense. Because I didn't report her as a substitute, the other team's coach comes out, wanting to talk about unreported substitutes.

Oh, crap.

Had I verified with the coach the fact that he was entering her as a substitute instead of a courtesy runner, I could have solved this before it ever became a problem. The lack of proper terminology by the coach (and, admittedly, my failure to be preventative by seeking clarification from the coach) got us in all sorts of a foul-up.

So yes, terminology is actually crucial. "You know what I meant" isn't a valid argument.