ASA Modified Pitching Rules

gofisch

Section 3. LEGAL DELIVERY
A-D are pretty standard
E. the pitcher must not use a windmill or slingshot-type pitch or make a complete revolution in the delivery.
F. Position of the ball:
1.(9 Player Major/A) No restriction on the back swing or on the downward motion and during the complete delivery.
2. (10-Player) The ball must not be outside the pitcher's wrist on the back swing, at the top of the back swing, on the downward motion, or during the complete delivery.
G. The delivery must be an underhand motion with the hand below the hip and the pitcher's palm may be pointing downward.
H. The pitch shall be delivered on the throwing arm side of the body and not behind the back or through the legs.
I. Arm, should, hip:
1. (9 Player Major/A) No restrictions on the arm. the shoulders and driving hip must be squared to home plate when the ball is released.
2. (10-Player) On the forward swing of the pitching arm, the elbow must be locked at the point of release, and shoulders and driving hip must be squared to home plate when the ball is released.
J. The release of the ball must be on the first forward swing of the pitching arm past the hip. The release must have a complete, smooth follow-through with no abrupt stop of the arm near the hip.
K. In the act of delivering the ball, the pitcher must take one step simultaneous with the release of the ball. The step must be forward and toward the batter with the 24-inch length of the pitcher's plate.
1. (9 Player Major/A) The pivot foot must drag and not lose contact with the ground. raising the foot off the pitching plate and returning it to the plate creates a rocking motion and is an illegal act.
2. (10 Player) The stepping foot must be pointed toward home plate and must not touch the ground in front of, or cross over a straight line between the pivot foot and home plate. It is not a step if the pitcher slides the pivot foot across the pitcher's plate, provided contact is maintained with the plate. Raising the foot off the pitching plate creates a rocking motion and is an illegal act.
L. Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher's plate is illegal.
M. The pitcher shall not deliberately drop, roll or bounce the ball in order to prevent the batter from hitting it.
N. The pitcher has 20 seconds to release the next pitch after receiving the ball or after the umpire indicates "play ball".

kodiak17

Addicted to Softballfans
That is great news the only thing I wonder then is how the heck did I throw 4 illegal pitches this past weekend I should not have one called on me .The coach from secory a slinger I guess he didn't read the rule book . See you guys next yr!!!!

KATMAN23

Addicted to Softballfans
Can't wait till next year. I want u Kodiak. Get off that list .can't wait seams easy enough.I own Platt life time .750 against Kodiak

KATMAN23

Addicted to Softballfans
in all my years with legends/katman sports i had maybe 20 at bats, but they were against the best, bink,platt,salerno,cedeno,mcquenn,d-ray,martin,dutch,,the best of the best. nope i dont regularly get to hit but when i did i didnt cry about who it was against.

gofisch

You just don't get it. It isn't about whether you care whose pitching and if you can hit them or not or whether your afraid to play the best. ITS ABOUT FOLLOWING THE FREAKING RULES.

Stallion9

Addicted to Softballfans
in all my years with legends/katman sports i had maybe 20 at bats, but they were against the best, bink,platt,salerno,cedeno,mcquenn,d-ray,martin,dutch,,the best of the best. nope i dont regularly get to hit but when i did i didnt cry about who it was against.

I don't always bat, but when I do, I'm a pretty big deal

The Katman Legend lives on

LOL

Diggity4223

Addicted to Softballfans
Then someone tell me how our pitcher was illegal from LC? He was cracked all day against DeGroodts? Not complaining but according to these rules he was spot on :\ Kodiak had the ump in his pocket too lol

Damn squatters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bahahahahaha

Better pitching next year means some better games and loved when Katman kept us to 3 and we held them to 5. That was a game and loved it coming down to making the plays and trying to get key hits.

ep34

Addicted to Softballfans
gofisch, a few years ago printouts were provided to our league by our ASA umps. It was an explanation and demonstration of the differences between "9-man" and "10-man" pitching. The document was written by an experienced pitcher named Sal Guerriero, never met him but he seems to know what he is talking about.
http://10manmodified.com/Web/types_of_pitching/types-of-pitching-styles/
My two cents. If the pitchers arm (humerus/shoulder) rotates/opens up then the ball will be outside of the wrist, the hips will open and there is a good chance that your feet will cross over. The shoulder/humerus is one of the sources (also legs, hips, wrist snap) where greater power/torque comes from. Watch a fast pitch delivery from about 1:00 to finish compared to a (9-man, "slinger") delivery, they are alike. 10-man is supposed to restrict that motion (shoulder/humerus). Just because a pitcher can square up at the delivery and doesn't cross over doesn't mean he is 10-man legal. I love fast pitch, 9-man and 10-man and I hope they can make a comeback and become more popular but there are differences. In my opinion. Play on!

gofisch

gofisch, a few years ago printouts were provided to our league by our ASA umps. It was an explanation and demonstration of the differences between "9-man" and "10-man" pitching. The document was written by an experienced pitcher named Sal Guerriero, never met him but he seems to know what he is talking about.
http://10manmodified.com/Web/types_of_pitching/types-of-pitching-styles/
My two cents. If the pitchers arm (humerus/shoulder) rotates/opens up then the ball will be outside of the wrist, the hips will open and there is a good chance that your feet will cross over. The shoulder/humerus is one of the sources (also legs, hips, wrist snap) where greater power/torque comes from. Watch a fast pitch delivery from about 1:00 to finish compared to a (9-man, "slinger") delivery, they are alike. 10-man is supposed to restrict that motion (shoulder/humerus). Just because a pitcher can square up at the delivery and doesn't cross over doesn't mean he is 10-man legal. I love fast pitch, 9-man and 10-man and I hope they can make a comeback and become more popular but there are differences. In my opinion. Play on!

Yes, I've seen that. The differences are easy to tell. I've played all styles of Modified and Fastpitch. Whats finally annoying me is the guys that complain about the pitching are mostly pitchers THAT KNOW EXACTLY what they are doing. Plus the attitude of "I'm going to do it until I get called". Its BS, pitch legal or don't pitch/*****. :)

KATMAN23

Addicted to Softballfans
Go fish I saw u pitch for a friends team in drift on .team out of Boston . I think u were the slowest modified guy I ever saw. Glass has a chance with u. .u don't get it some guys can conform . If your going to talk **** back it up and suit up an d try a national otherwise I could care what u say. Just my opinion

Bizze B34

Manager
would like to throw my 2 cents into this topic, i have pitched in the Nationals
at all 3 levels- ( Major-A-and B ) and have been called illegal at all 3 for different things, but my opinion is almost every pitcher could get called on
every pitch, I am pretty sure that the 2 or 3 illegal pitches that I get called
for in a game are no different than the other 85 I threw, its the umpire"s
discretion that decides it and being that umpires come in from different states
they are going to have different opinions, there is no uniform rule it can vary
from state to state and worst of all from diamond to diamond, sorry to ramble
just my opinion

Were you playing 10 man or 9 man?

but my opinion is almost every pitcher could get called on
every pitch,

Only pitchers that are throwing illegal.

And that is what will ruin 10 man modified. Last year we played 5 games at 10 Man Nationals , not one illegal pitch called, why, because every pitcher was throwing strict 10 man modified. We seen it get called in other games because the pitchers were illegal. This year we played 3 games, again, not one illegal pitch called, why, same as above.

I wish they would go back to the 3 pitch rule. That would straighten the pitching up in a hurry.

there is no uniform rule it can vary
from state to state and worst of all from diamond to diamond,

What kind of statement is that. You are right, it can vary, but there is a rule on pitching. Look at the OP

gofisch

Go fish I saw u pitch for a friends team in drift on .team out of Boston . I think u were the slowest modified guy I ever saw. Glass has a chance with u. .u don't get it some guys can conform . If your going to talk **** back it up and suit up an d try a national otherwise I could care what u say. Just my opinion

Really? and how fast I pitch or don't pitch doesn't have anything to do with this. Its obvious to me that its you who doesn't get it. If your going to pitch 10 man, follow the freaking pitching rules. Thats it bottom liine. ;)

Diggity4223

Addicted to Softballfans
Gofish how come there are no NC teams? I know you had soke when it was down south prior years and the chapel hill warriors won it correct? Do you guys have state and any tournys?

Bizze B34

Manager
JustFish I played both 9-10, and I know the rules I"ve had plenty of conversations with umps about them, but umps sometimes have their own
interpertations of them and thats where the problems start, how else can a
pitcher be legal on field 1 but not on field 2 ( different umps ) and on my opinion on every pitch being called illegal if they went by the book word for word we might never finish some games , there are things that alot of us pitchers do that seldom get called ( rocking and breaking of hands with ball
are a couple but unfortunately its not usually the book that decides who"s
legal its the umps on the diamond your playing on because every pitcher is
legal unless the umps call him and just a note there are far more ILLEGAL BATS on the field than us pitchers

You say you know the rules but then you ask this
how else can a
pitcher be legal on field 1 but not on field 2

Don't blame the umps. Bottom line you are illegal. You got away with it on field 1 and didn't get away with it on field 2.

It's really simple, follow the 10 man rules when playing 10 man and you will never get called illegal and you don't have to worry about the umpires.

Like I said before, I would love to see the 3 pitch rule come back in 10 man. It straightens out a pitcher pretty quick.

The illegal bat thing, I don't know about that. There are an awful lot of you illegal pitchers out there, LOL

Diggity4223

Addicted to Softballfans
How do you get an illegal bat on the field? They are checked before all state and national tourny.

That's something difficult to do isn't it?

KATMAN23

Addicted to Softballfans
its very easy not all bat testing machines work. i play in several leagues that have bat testing, oh they slip by.

KATMAN23

Addicted to Softballfans
to my buddies gofish and justfish. i have been pitching for over 23 years, when i first started pitching, it was very strict ,bats were very weak . i know exactly how to throw 10 man ,i dont need you to tell me.here is the funny thing, most teams complain because i throw hard,but that all changes when i pitch for them,funny how that works,i am illegal till i pitch for them. i know what the rules are if u went by those ,3/4 of the pitchers that were at nats would not have been able to pitch , no nationals. there is a reason for the guys in blue to call it ,no matter what u think or i think it is up to them, so leave it at that. if i get called i ask and adjust to what he wants, simple. thats how it goes. to borrow a phrase, to overcome to adapt . thats what u do. you can have all the rules that you want ,but it still is on blue. those r the facts, i think i might know this seeing i have been to every type of nats there is,10 man,9 man ,major ,fastpitch and drifton . . just my op

Diggity4223

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm with ya Katman!!! The game tween you and Little Creek had two great pitchers and the game was 5-3 exactly what good pitching does. Keeps you in any game and we didn't have clutch hits when needed. Not sure but I think they cracked you in a later inning and you adjusted but again if your humming fine and want to push the limit I say go for it. Ya get cracked go back to legal motion.

I personally thought the pitching was called great and did Platt get away with some snaps???? Yes he did but he went till he got cracked abd went back to his normal motion.

But why is a guy illegal bc he can throw hard? That's punishing a guy who is working hard on the bump. Always up to the men in blue and we have respected his calls and when Wiley got cracked he never made a scene and asked what he did and adjusted.

I will stop with my rants. I didn't have the pleasure to see Katman or Kodiak throw, I'm judging by third party comments, so I will leave this alone. Next year I will make it a point to see you guys pitch and decide for myself. I enjoy watching and playing against good LEGAL pitching.

gofisch

I don't care how hard someone throws, it doesn't have anything to do with it. Its the mechanics and y'all know damn well it is. Blaming the umps is just an excuse for guys to get away with stuff they KNOW they shouldn't be doing. How about some personal responsibility, or is that out of fashion?
And Katman a little background on me I've been playing Modified and Fastpitch for 20 years or so, I've only been throwing a few years, so for me speed isn't a concern. Although I do have trouble with really good fastpitch guys( for some reason when you get old you slow down a bit). But they made the different pitching rules for a reason and if guys weren't always trying to get away with something this topic would never come up.

gofisch

Gofish how come there are no NC teams? I know you had soke when it was down south prior years and the chapel hill warriors won it correct? Do you guys have state and any tournys?

As far as I know the Warriors and Speedboys aren't traveling as much as they used to. I haven't checked the NC state tourney stuff for a few years because I could never get anyone to go and my League in Charlotte is a mess and isn't sanctioned by ASA.

Diggity4223

Addicted to Softballfans
Go fish I think you need to get a core of guys and form something as I heard the warriors were a legit contender and beat some power houses the year in GA.

kodiak17

Addicted to Softballfans
Go fish I think you need to get a core of guys and form something as I heard the warriors were a legit contender and beat some power houses the year in GA.

The warriors aren't really a 10 man they are a true 9 man team same thing with the sPeed boys!!!

kodiak17

Addicted to Softballfans

The warriors aren't really a 10 man they are a true 9 man team same thing with the sPeed boys!!!