ASA Player ejection

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
Playing tonight and our 2B fields the ball and tosses to SS who steps on 2nd and when he goes to throw to 1st he gets trucked by the runner coming from first. Ump tosses the runner out of the game out the but calls the batter safe said there was no interference because the SS wasn't going to throw the ball even though he was just starting to raise his arm to throw. Would have been the 3rd out they go on to scored 5 with 2 outs.

Come to the bottom of the last inning they are the home team and they are chasing 4. Ump stops the game with 1 out 2 batters ahead of the guy who was ejected and announces that if the guy before the ejected player comes up to bat with 2 outs we can't intentionally walk the the #10(now because he was the 11th batter before the ejection) to get to the last out. I argue that rule with him that it only applies for an injured player not and ejected player that the ejected player gets no special compensation for being an ******* and trucking out SS. He says not the rule says we can't intentionally walk him to get to the out. He tells me I'm wrong an the rules says we can't intentionally walk him to get to the out. At that point I ask him to clarify the intentionally walking part. I said If we legitimatly pitch to him he can't take the walk and he said we aren't allowed to intentionally walk him. At which point I said then no matter what as long as we try to pitch to him he can't take a walk to protect the out and the other team starts bitching. They whined and complained enough that the Ump says he's making the final decision no matter what he can't walk that we have to pitch to him and he has to try to hit the ball. Mind you we were playing in 20+ MPH winds all night long and gets to a full count and he walks him to load the bases. The ejected player isn't counted and their #2 hitter comes up and they hit a few singles and eventually win the game.

Now as far as I know the only time the pitching around the player with 2 outs applies only if their player is out because of injury not an ejection. I can't see any way that they should benefit from their lead off hitter trucking our SS...
Anyone know the exact ruling on this all I can find in the book is the player that is ejected is always an out.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Playing tonight and our 2B fields the ball and tosses to SS who steps on 2nd and when he goes to throw to 1st he gets trucked by the runner coming from first. Ump tosses the runner out of the game out the but calls the batter safe said there was no interference because the SS wasn't going to throw the ball even though he was just starting to raise his arm to throw. Would have been the 3rd out they go on to scored 5 with 2 outs.

Come to the bottom of the last inning they are the home team and they are chasing 4. Ump stops the game with 1 out 2 batters ahead of the guy who was ejected and announces that if the guy before the ejected player comes up to bat with 2 outs we can't intentionally walk the the #10(now because he was the 11th batter before the ejection) to get to the last out. I argue that rule with him that it only applies for an injured player not and ejected player that the ejected player gets no special compensation for being an ******* and trucking out SS. He says not the rule says we can't intentionally walk him to get to the out. He tells me I'm wrong an the rules says we can't intentionally walk him to get to the out. At that point I ask him to clarify the intentionally walking part. I said If we legitimatly pitch to him he can't take the walk and he said we aren't allowed to intentionally walk him. At which point I said then no matter what as long as we try to pitch to him he can't take a walk to protect the out and the other team starts bitching. They whined and complained enough that the Ump says he's making the final decision no matter what he can't walk that we have to pitch to him and he has to try to hit the ball. Mind you we were playing in 20+ MPH winds all night long and gets to a full count and he walks him to load the bases. The ejected player isn't counted and their #2 hitter comes up and they hit a few singles and eventually win the game.

Now as far as I know the only time the pitching around the player with 2 outs applies only if their player is out because of injury not an ejection. I can't see any way that they should benefit from their lead off hitter trucking our SS...
Anyone know the exact ruling on this all I can find in the book is the player that is ejected is always an out.

Obviously you are not playing under ASA rules or the game would have been over upon the ejection since apparently there is no sub. And if they went shorthanded legitimately, you could walk any batter you chose including getting to a hole in the line-up

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
Obviously you are not playing under ASA rules or the game would have been over upon the ejection since apparently there is no sub. And if they went shorthanded legitimately, you could walk any batter you chose including getting to a hole in the line-up
What rule is that?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
What rule is that?

There's no rule that says you can do it. There's also no rule against it, which is the more important thing.

You can intentionally walk any number of batters to get to the automatic out in order to end the inning. Perfectly legal in ASA. Other rulesets, however, feel otherwise, but that's their problem.

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
I believe ISA has a rule where if you are an offensive ejection, the defense cant walk you for the last out.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
In our league (is ASA, but with special local rules. Insert Irish insult here) with the ejection the game would continue but with an out recorded for the ejected player's spot unless there was a sub.

Longball, what inning did the player get tossed? Was the 7th inning the first time through after the ejection? I would have protested on the spot.

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
In our league (is ASA, but with special local rules. Insert Irish insult here) with the ejection the game would continue but with an out recorded for the ejected player's spot unless there was a sub.

Longball, what inning did the player get tossed? Was the 7th inning the first time through after the ejection? I would have protested on the spot.

That was his first at bat following his ejection. It happened in the 4 or 5th

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA Rule 1.D.2.A
To continue a game once started with a full team listed on the line-up card:
A. If a team begins play with the required number of players as listed, that team may continue a game with one less player than is currently in the batting order whenever a player leaves the game for any other reason than ejection.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
By the way Longball, I still say your avatar is the single greatest thing I've ever seen on SBF.........

LIKEUCM

In ASA once a player is ejected, a legal sub must be reported or the game is over. A team is not permitted to play shorthanded as a result of an ejection. If you start the game short (with the 10th postion in the order being vacant), or go shorthanded for any reason other than an ejection, the defense may walk as many batters as they want to get the the automatic out created by the vacant position in the batting order. Not sure about other associations or local league rules that you may have been dealing with.