ASA Tourney - Utrip bats everywhere

strone88

Addicted to Softballfans
Last year they check everyone's bats, this year things obviously had changed. Our team arrived just after 9am before our 1st game and I walk up to 1 of the 8 fields and quickly notice an orange recoil being used by both teams. Upon further inspection I see U trip bats everywhere. So I walk over to the tournament directors table and asked him what the rules were this year for bats. He stated that all bats MUST SHOW the ASA stamp on it for it to be legal and would be enforced on the field at the time of the game by the ump. So I then stated that on the field not 50 ft away there were at least 6 USSSA bats being used that I knew were not ASA bats. He walked over to the field, talked with the blue for a few minutes and then left. Needless to say only 1 team put away 2 of their bats, the other team kind of acted stupid but kept on using the bats. I watched for a few innings and needless to say depsite the restricted compression there was way too balls going out over 300ft fences.

Well the day went on until we got to our game 5 when I see a player walk up to the plate with a FREAK. After he gets a single I called the bat to the umpires attention and the batter who just hit the single and who owned the bat started blabbing that he had been using it all day long and no one had said anything. He then stated that they were a U TRIP team and had to go find 2 asa bats just to play - like that is my problem.

Now this is what really made me mad so Blue calls the managers together including myself and says, "I know the bat is illegal for ASA play, but you have to show me a sheet or list that says this bat is illegal for ASA play!" I couldn't believe what I was hearing. We ended up losing the game but afterwards I pull out the tournament rules sheets and it said in bold letters that all umpires will enforce any bat violation on the field at the time of the game. Not anywhere did it say that teams must provide a sheet of approved or non approved bats. Give me a a break blue.

This has always been a great tournament for many, many years and nothing against U trip because I play it myself but all I wanted to see was fair game play including the use of only ASA bats without teams using U trip bats to help with those darn restricted compression balls that everyone hates simply because you play with your standard balls all season long, only to show up to a tourney a find out you are now swinging at mush!!

Does anyone run into this alot or do most tournaments you play in enforce their rules a little better??

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
All we have here is ASA, so we don't have that problem. Tourney rules are pretty well enforced, especially when they're the same as league rules.

And you only have to ask once. The other two threads you started should probably be deleted.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
What the umpire said was wrong but its not really that hard to keep a copy of the ASA banned list in my bag if you play a lot of ASA tourneys. With all the guys using utrip bats that has a pretty easy fix. Wait for someone to get a hit using the non ASA approved bat, then protest the bat and take the out. The team who whines that they only play utrip and dont have ASA bats, tell them TFB don't sign up for an ASA tourney if they dont have ASA bats.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
Always carry a Utrip bat with you just in case. We played a coed team using a Miken Long Haul Bomber I had no complaints when I pulled out my Stadium to replace the Freak 98 team bat.

matthinkle

Addicted to Softballfans
Here is the problem, MOST umpires at your local tournaments DO NOT know the rules even the ones at bigger tournaments. Simple fact, if you carry a rule book and the UPDATED bat list most times the umpire will side with you. I have found THEY want YOU to prove them wrong even when they know it (lack of integrity). WE (players) know what bats are legal and once someone swings that first illegal bat and gets away with it, it is open season. I carry U-trip bats at ASA tournaments also as this has happened to my team as well. Tournament directors seem to be more and more prone to let teams get away with things because they honestly don't want the hastle of dealing with it and upsetting teams. I've screamed at yelled at tournament directors and called them all sorts of names and all they do is say "I'M SORRY" . The ONLY thing I want to hear is "I'LL FIX IT RIGHT NOW!! It sucks that rules are not stuck too...I've politely reminded umpires and tournament directors that I am YOUR customer, I give you MONEY so you do your job RIGHT! That is all I ask!!

Country35

Banned User
for all you "pull out a utrip bat guys" you just making the problem worse instead of educating players and umpires why they can't do it......prolong the problem then ***** about it on here. lol.

LoveyPSU

Sorry, wrong trajectory
To bad you didnt have a lady virus or ultra 2 in your bag. Both have asa stamps.
I have an UII in my bag, with stamps, for precisely this reason...and a LV in the bag for when I get the "anything but Ultras" response to my "but it has an ASA stamp on it too" retort to the other team swinging non-approved sticks. :cool:
for all you "pull out a utrip bat guys" you just making the problem worse instead of educating players and umpires why they can't do it......prolong the problem then ***** about it on here. lol.

Somewhat true, but I'd rather "join 'em" than continue to argue with an ump in the middle of the game. Most umps take it out on your team if you continue to run your mouth.

motoman125yz

Addicted to Softballfans
Using a u-trip bat in asa, call it what it is... Cheating. A u-trip isnt that much better than an asa bat, said the caught cheater. They knew what they were doing when they used the bat, who's to say they wouldn't have it shaved since they were already breaking the rules.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
we had the reverse today. NSA tourney and guys were swinging salvos. Hmmm..... Why is it that when you get to use 1.20 bats are all of these guys swinging ASA bats? And not just ASA as, but confirmed logs?

One team had all of the usual bats. A connell, freak, ressy mutant.... And they were all swinging one of their 3 salvos.

I'm anxious for 2013 bc i'm tired of this cheating crap. And I can't even call them out because every time i play there's some knucklehead on my team swinging glass too (i fill in for several teams, my team disbanded)

Country35

Banned User
we had the reverse today. NSA tourney and guys were swinging salvos. Hmmm..... Why is it that when you get to use 1.20 bats are all of these guys swinging ASA bats? And not just ASA as, but confirmed logs?

One team had all of the usual bats. A connell, freak, ressy mutant.... And they were all swinging one of their 3 salvos.

I'm anxious for 2013 bc i'm tired of this cheating crap. And I can't even call them out because every time i play there's some knucklehead on my team swinging glass too (i fill in for several teams, my team disbanded)

yeah 2013 will end cheating :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

gsus03

Banned User

This is the same as saying, "When I know the other team is using a shaved bat I pull my dirty stick out of my bag and tell my entire team to use it."

I think the main problem is these umpires DO NOT know the rules or even have a clue which bats are legal or not (even though in this case all it takes is for him to find the ASA stamp on a bat) Another big problem I see is umpires getting bullied and intimidated by teams that make a habit of b****ing and complaining about every single call on every single play.

Mwood1986

There's not much difference between ASA and Utrip bats.

This may be true but if it gives you even just 10more feet this could be the difference between a home run and a hit to the fence or an outfielder grabbing a line drive and missing it.

I know if you go to a softball tourney in Sioux Falls, SD they say they use a bat tester of some sort that makes sure the bat isn't too hot for play and any bat that doesn't pass gets stickered for non-compliance whether it's asa approved or not.