Any Back Shoulder to the Knee (strike Zone)

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
IMHO players definitely make the best umpires, at least in most cases. Also having a passion for doing a good job is key. It's very frustrating to me the lazy umpires that are out there only to collect a check, because we are all judged based upon the "bad" experiences players have in games.

I would strongly encourage you to do one thing: try not to ump in the leagues where you used to play. You'll only face a steeper uphill climb trying to gain respect than you normally would.

LORDV8R

Addicted to Softballfans
Simple answer, every ump has his own strike zone, love it or hate it, thats his judgement call, so adjust to his zone because he will not adjust to yours

I agree that this is the way the player has to think about it. I don't agree that it shouldn't be a strike and the ump should correct his zone. I see way to many umps(USSSA) that focus on where the ball land and not where it crossed the plate.

Only time it matters where it lands is if it lands in the stands. :D

:eek: guess so,must be a real bad pitcher:D.unless it is mat ball.:D

Believe me when I tell you that it's a completely different game when you switch from player to umpire. Night and day!

the only prol with it was sometimes umping for people you know,they think your gonna be on their side with calls.yeah right,you don't know me to well,do ya.

will it make me playing have a different attitude as well? or will i get more frustrated at horrible umps?

depends on your demeanor.

I agree.... I would rather have a paper cut on my ballsak than play mat ball....

according to rich M and k mac you like that tho.:eek::eek:

it also allows the same pitcher to throw an unhittable pitch that comes from behind the batters back and hits the front corner of the plate.... mat ball is horrible!

coming from a place that used mats all the time,and going to call strike,as a pitcher i like the call strike better now.if they would make the mat big enough to take in pitches that would get the corner of the plate(maybe 3" inches wider than the plate),than maybe.our senior assoc do it this way for our tourney's.

mrcub8

maybe next year!-Cub fans
so how come an ump will never call a strike when the catcher catches the ball? even if his glove is on the ground??

I've called it.......and everyone starts crying "it's deep".....I said A. there is no such thing as DEEP in Utrip and B. As long as it crosses the plate thru the zone regardless of where it gets caught/lands I'll call the strike.....