Any Back Shoulder to the Knee (strike Zone)

djcs1204

King Jackie!!!
It would have to be above the knee and below the back shoulder I do believe. I know that everywhere I have called it has had to be this way.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
where exactly in the pitch does it have to cross those spots???

When it is over the plate.

Picture a glass shape hovering over the plate. From above, it is the shape of home plate. It is from the bottom of the front knee to the back shoulder high. If any part of the ball touches this imaginary shape, it "breaks the glass" and it is a strike (unless it also hits the plate).

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA Strike Zone

If any part of the ball crosses the plate on a legally pitched ball that also crosses the front knee to the back shoulder with the batter standing at the plate. If the batter is standing deep in the box or up in front of the box the ball may or may not still be within the front knee to back shoulder.

USSSA

The Veteran
STRIKE ZONE is that space directly above home plate that is not higher than the batter’s
highest shoulder, nor lower than the bottom of the batter’s front knee, when the batter assumes
his natural batting stance. Any part of the pitched ball that passes through this zone is
a strike.

WhiteBrow24

The Dude Abides
so how come an ump will never call a strike when the catcher catches the ball? even if his glove is on the ground??

Sonic625

An Admin
Staff member
so how come an ump will never call a strike when the catcher catches the ball? even if his glove is on the ground??

Simple answer, every ump has his own strike zone, love it or hate it, thats his judgement call, so adjust to his zone because he will not adjust to yours

WhiteBrow24

The Dude Abides
Simple answer, every ump has his own strike zone, love it or hate it, thats his judgement call, so adjust to his zone because he will not adjust to yours

yea i get that, and i know its a judgement call, but man those are the best pitches!!

i dont pitch, its just something that I had always been curious about

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans

Any ump who automatically calls it a ball if the catcher catches the ball is a crappy ump. All that matters is if the balls crosses any part of the plate at the appropriate height. The rule book is very specific about it.

However, since I usually catch I make sure I let the ball bounce before me if I can. Just because most there are umps that are lazy. Unless your playing mat ball, if the ump is watching the ball bounce before making a call (other than making sure it doesn't hit the plate) you can be sure that you have a piss poor ump. Where is bounces is irrelevant.

guzzler2209

The Veteran
Why the hell is the catcher catching the ball? The catcher should let every pitch it the ground, unless is gonna hit him in the nuts.

actually had an ump(utrip ump) tell me,first it was the back arm pit,not shoulder,than tells me he watches where it hits and if it hits beyond his designated point(he used the end of the batters box) it was gonna be a ball. i asked what if it comes thru between his 2 points but goes beyond the end of the batters,why should it be a ball,his answer was than it'll be to fast for slowpitch.:rolleyes:

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
actually had an ump(utrip ump) tell me,first it was the back arm pit,not shoulder,than tells me he watches where it hits and if it hits beyond his designated point(he used the end of the batters box) it was gonna be a ball. i asked what if it comes thru between his 2 points but goes beyond the end of the batters,why should it be a ball,his answer was than it'll be to fast for slowpitch.:rolleyes:

This is why people think most umps suck. The rule book is not very complicated, there's no reason not to follow it.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

Only time it matters where it lands is if it lands in the stands. :D

WhiteBrow24

The Dude Abides
This is why next year im only going to play probably 1 night and ump a couple nights. I need to get the perspective of the boys in red and blue.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
This is why next year im only going to play probably 1 night and ump a couple nights. I need to get the perspective of the boys in red and blue.

Believe me when I tell you that it's a completely different game when you switch from player to umpire. Night and day!

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
will it make me playing have a different attitude as well? or will i get more frustrated at horrible umps?

I find that in some cases you become more understandable, but in others you get even more pissed off.
I find that on close plays I'm more forgiving.
On rule book mistakes you get much more aggravated because now you should know them inside and out.

Last edited:

CD#5

Addicted to Softballfans

I hate when your team is up and the ump's zone is all over the place and you go up and ask "where's your zone at?" and he freaks out on you, yelling at you about you should watch the game and you'll know where my zone is. Wha what? This hasn't happened to you? This is why every league should have mats. If it hits the mat then you know it's a strike. No arguing, no bickering, no complaining.

WhiteBrow24

The Dude Abides
I hate when your team is up and the ump's zone is all over the place and you go up and ask "where's your zone at?" and he freaks out on you, yelling at you about you should watch the game and you'll know where my zone is. Wha what? This hasn't happened to you? This is why every league should have mats. If it hits the mat then you know it's a strike. No arguing, no bickering, no complaining.

mat ball sucks. you still get the too high or too low

CD#5

Addicted to Softballfans
Believe me when I tell you that it's a completely different game when you switch from player to umpire. Night and day!

Yes it is! I like it though. Cuz you remember all the terrible umps and you try not to be like them. You try to be clear with your calls and actually move from behind the plate to make calls at the bases.

will it make me playing have a different attitude as well? or will i get more frustrated at horrible umps?

Yeah sort of. IMO you appreciate the good ones more when you get them for your games

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans

Mat ball is ridiculous. Batters have a big enough advantage in slow pitch, putting a mat down gives them even more of an advantage. It prevents the pitcher from throwing from different angles to catch the front or back corner of the plate. A pitch can catch the front corner of the plate, bounce in the other batters box and it should be called a strike. You're basically eliminating that by putting a mat down.

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
Mat ball is ridiculous. Batters have a big enough advantage in slow pitch, putting a mat down gives them even more of an advantage. It prevents the pitcher from throwing from different angles to catch the front or back corner of the plate. A pitch can catch the front corner of the plate, bounce in the other batters box and it should be called a strike. You're basically eliminating that by putting a mat down.

it also allows the same pitcher to throw an unhittable pitch that comes from behind the batters back and hits the front corner of the plate.... mat ball is horrible!

Roundtrip

Starting Player

WB, this is what I started doing a few years ago and yes it completely changes your perspective and will make you and your team better.

Yes, it will cause new levels of frustration and respect accordingly. Also will cause you to keep your team level headed in different situations.

im kinda excited to start umping. The stories my old man tells me are great.
IMHO players definitely make the best umpires, at least in most cases. Also having a passion for doing a good job is key. It's very frustrating to me the lazy umpires that are out there only to collect a check, because we are all judged based upon the "bad" experiences players have in games.

I'm one of the UIC's in our association and the new umps with passion/excitement most often do an exceptional job! Welcome to umping:cool: