Baking with Protein Powder

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
I baked up some rice pudding last night with some chocolate protein power added to it and it tastes great. I've heard/read rumors that baking with whey protein breaks down the proteins or something like that and renders it ineffective. Just curious what the official word is on this. I don't want to waste my powder if baking with it destroys the effectiveness but I don't want to rely on he said/she said either.

The recipe for this stuff is fantastic and adding the whey protein gives me a health, protein packed dessert! If you want the recipe, let me know. I got it from a cookbook.

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
So long as you aren't burning it, shouldn't be a problem. Cooking denatures protein, but this also happens in the digestive tract. So denaturing isn't in and of itself always bad.

Two things to consider though - whey (generally concentrates not isolates) is known to include other things that may have healthful benefits than just protein and some of these things might be damaged in cooking. I am not 100% certain but the topic does make me wonder about that. Still, whey's use as a macro would still be fine if cooked.

Another thing would be microwaving rather than cooking in an oven. There might be some crosslinking issues - I haven't looked into this in avery long time, so it may not be a valid concern. I don't do it though. Also, fwiw, when Designer Whey came out back in the early 90s, any recipe they gave out that included microwaving had you put the whey in after all the microwaving was done.

Hammerin' Hank

Addicted to Softballfans
my wife has been on a health kick, trying to make all sorts of healthy/natural food VS buying stuff with high fructose corn syrup and artificial ingrediants. She made whole wheat strawberry muffins a few weeks ago with a few scoops of protien powder. They were great for breakfast. I forget what each one had for protien but it was a decent amount, maybe 7 or 8 grams. She has been making granola bars also w/ protien powder, those are less good. :(

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like Chocolate Muffins made with pumpkin pie filling. Not on the same level of healthy as what y'all are discussing, and more a great source of fiber than protein. :D

wolfpacker27

The Veteran
i'd also like to hear a few more responses on this. i've also heard about the denaturing that's caused by heating / cooking powder, but i'm not sure to what extent it breaks down the good stuff

DSNuts48

Badass
What are you making exactly? I don't really see a point. Seems like it would be better off using almond mill or flaxxeed mill to bake with, and then just drinking a protein shake separate.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
I made rice pudding for a dessert and added some chocolate protein powder to get some extra protein and change the flavor. It tastes great and gives me about 8g of protein per serving. Not bad for a dessert.

Sometimes it's nice to throw the powder in to add some value without adding a lot of anything else.

Hammerin' Hank

Addicted to Softballfans
Sometimes it's nice to throw the powder in to add some value without adding a lot of anything else.

yeah, this^^

I like to have a muffin or peanut butter toast on my ride into work for breakfast, adding a little protien powder to the muffin recipie just gives the calories a little extra nutrition.

DSNuts48

Badass
I made rice pudding for a dessert and added some chocolate protein powder to get some extra protein and change the flavor. It tastes great and gives me about 8g of protein per serving. Not bad for a dessert.

Oh okay, I get you now. You made some pudding with protein powder, and are wondering if you can do other things with it also? I've never heard of anyone baking protein powder, but here are some other recipes I've seen but have never tried.

These are apparently made with shakeology, but you could probably substitute protein.

no bake cookies
http://www.teambeachbody.com/connect/message-boards/-/message_boards/message/197000635

pie
2 scoops of Chocolate Shakeology
1 container of firm tofu
1/2 cup of natural peanut butter
1 cup of organic 1% milk
1 reduced fat graham cracker pie crust
1 container (5 oz.) of Vanilla Greek yogurt (optional)
Pecan chips (optional)

Blend Shakeology, peanut butter, tofu, and milk until smooth & creamy. Pour into pie crust and refrigerate until firm for at least 1 hour. Optional topping: Spread yogurt on top of pie and sprinkle with pecan chips.

Gadawgs29

Banned User
it doesnt denature the protein that much. Like stated already, as long as your not burning it you should be fine. I bake/cook all the time with my protein powders from recipes ive found. Best person to find recipes by is the hottie Jamie Eason. She hasnt done alot of new ones lately but find her on BB.com and she has tons and tons of awesome recipes.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the comments so far. I'll check out some other recipes. I'm trying to get an energy bar to take to tourneys that is homemade as well. Will be experimenting to see what I can find.

Gadawgs29

Banned User
Thanks for the comments so far. I'll check out some other recipes. I'm trying to get an energy bar to take to tourneys that is homemade as well. Will be experimenting to see what I can find.

detour SF bars are really good and complete protein are also good. They dont have all the crap fillers and such that others do. and they contain more protein and taste better than those Clif Bars.

alternatives if you cant get one you like

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
detour SF bars are really good and complete protein are also good. They dont have all the crap fillers and such that others do. and they contain more protein and taste better than those Clif Bars.

alternatives if you cant get one you like

Thank you. I did my own clif bars and they were pretty good. I'm also looking at the rice bars that cyclist's use. I'll probably mod them a bit, we will see.