USSSA ball 4, turn the bat around....

jloamerex

<font color="#FF0000">tell ur mom hi 4 me</font>
So I have seen this a lot and I never say anything cause it really doesnt bother me, but a guy is at bat... count goes to 3 and 1 and he turns the bat around with the knob in the air and he is gripping the barrel, expecting to get a ball 4 call. It is almost like when guys get that same count and they stand right up on the plate. well okay, when the batter turned the bat around our first baseman was upset because the umpire didnt call the batter out. He said it is in the books that if a batter does that he is automatically out. anyone know of this to be true?

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
In ASA

There is no rule that says the batter is out. However, as the umpire he should be made to turn the bat around...if for no other reason than safety.

jloamerex

i see **** stuff all the time where they either turn the bat upside down or they stand with toes about 1 inch from the side of the plate and lean in over the plate to throw the pitcher off. not sure why they think that will help because when i pitch i dont look at where the batter is... im trying to get the ball to cross the plate a certain way. oh well... i was just wondering because 2 games before that on a different field the blue called the guy out and then it happened to us.

mazzamouth

<font color="#191970">Punching Judy Swinger</font>
So I have seen this a lot and I never say anything cause it really doesnt bother me, but a guy is at bat... count goes to 3 and 1 and he turns the bat around with the knob in the air and he is gripping the barrel, expecting to get a ball 4 call. It is almost like when guys get that same count and they stand right up on the plate. well okay, when the batter turned the bat around our first baseman was upset because the umpire didnt call the batter out. He said it is in the books that if a batter does that he is automatically out. anyone know of this to be true?

In USSSA the count can never go 3-1... once a batter gets 3 balls he is then walked to 1st... USSSA you get 3 balls and 2 strikes..

tell your 1st baseman to open the book a read, not just look at the cover..LOL

If he reads from left to right, top to bottom it will help.

jloamerex

In USSSA the count can never go 3-1... once a batter gets 3 balls he is then walked to 1st... USSSA you get 3 balls and 2 strikes..

If he reads from left to right, top to bottom it will help.

sorry if i worded it wrong... i meant the IS 3 - 1... MEANING 2 pitches were called balls and no strikes.

Blazin

Pathetic Loser
I've seen a batter put the head of the bat on the ground and wait after 2 straight balls and the pitcher hit the bat on the next pitch, was called a foul ball :D. The pitcher didnt do it on purpose, he was struggling.

Traenok

Star Player
I've seen a batter put the head of the bat on the ground and wait after 2 straight balls and the pitcher hit the bat on the next pitch, was called a foul ball :D. The pitcher didnt do it on purpose, he was struggling.

Ive seen that also. I lol'ed on that one.

jloamerex

I know i was giving crap...LOL

figured... But you do know mazza... some guys on here DO respond with that and mean it. i was hoping we werent going to have to drop the DOUCHE BAG rule down on you and make you the first... lol i do think Utrip needs to make a douche rule.

umpire: "YOUR OUT!!"
player: "wtf????? what did i do?????"
umpire: "your being a douche..."
player: "damnit"

jloamerex

that would be the new strike out.... lol how embarrassing would it be to get called out for doucheness....

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans

Only problem is, he could read it from front to back, then read it again, then memorize the whole thing and he still wouldn't find an imaginary rule that doesn't exist!

i see **** stuff all the time where they either turn the bat upside down or they stand with toes about 1 inch from the side of the plate and lean in over the plate to throw the pitcher off.

If the batter has his toes "1 inch away from the plate" he obviously isn't properly positioned in the batter's box. The umpire should suspend play, not allow a pitch to be thrown, then instruct the batter to get in the batter's box. If he refuses to comply, start issuing penalty strikes. That usually gets their attention!

If the batter is in the box, but wants to lean over the plate, there's nothing to prevent that. Just remember that if the pitch hits him in the strike zone, or he prevents the pitch from entering the strike zone, it's a strike.

NMax13

Manager
he just doing it to be a douche... he also knows it may be getting under the picther's skin and force the pitcher to over pitch.... so in a way.. the batter is drawing the walk...

mychal

BET+UNCF+BASA+BHM=STFU
funniest I saw was a guy ask the ump for time, then he turned around and took a left handed stance in the right handed batter's box. His butt was toward the plate and he was facing the 3rd base dugout as the pitch was thrown. It looked idiotic, but it was a little distracting since I was playing 3B and the guy was looking toward me as if he was really getting ready to hit.

LORDV8R

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow! A thread like this and no one brings up the "mockery of the game" statement. You people are slipping.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
funniest I saw was a guy ask the ump for time, then he turned around and took a left handed stance in the right handed batter's box. His butt was toward the plate and he was facing the 3rd base dugout as the pitch was thrown. It looked idiotic, but it was a little distracting since I was playing 3B and the guy was looking toward me as if he was really getting ready to hit.

i know what im doing tonight...

thats pretty funny actually, better than the guy that stands at the front edge of the batters box leaning over the plate.

HAVOC34

NorCal COMbatant
I was struggling with my control late in a game when a friend of mine came up(in the 'ship of a tournament). I fell behind 2-0 and before the next pitch he laid the bat on the ground in front of home plate and folded his arms! I called hima d-bag and threw a perfect strike anyway. Next pitch he picked up his bat and shot a single off me to end the game and the tourney. I was told later by the umpire that even if that pitched missed the strike zone it would be called a strike because the bat was laid down in front of the plate. Interesting rule I thought.

Denwa

Addicted to Softballfans
It seems in ASA if you are turning the bat around backwards there is something in the rules about making a mockery of the game that might apply. Probably a no pitch and tell the batter hold it correctly the first time, then a strike if it continued. Does this ring a bell to anyone else?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
It seems in ASA if you are turning the bat around backwards there is something in the rules about making a mockery of the game that might apply. Probably a no pitch and tell the batter hold it correctly the first time, then a strike if it continued. Does this ring a bell to anyone else?

Nope.

There aren't any ASA rules that resemble any of the "rules" you stated.

softballjunky_2

Addicted to Softballfans
mine to

As an ump, when a guy pulls a garbage maneuver like that, my strike zone gets HUGE...

It basically has to be so far outside that I had no choice but to call it a ball. I called a stike on a guy when the ball hit the plate. He swang the bat to throw it to the doug out after standing on the plat for a ball. After i call the strike I ended up throwing out of the game for argueeing balls and strikes. you cant arguee balls and stikes that is in the book. just saying :D

i see **** stuff all the time where they either turn the bat upside down or they stand with toes about 1 inch from the side of the plate and lean in over the plate to throw the pitcher off. not sure why they think that will help because when i pitch i dont look at where the batter is... im trying to get the ball to cross the plate a certain way. oh well... i was just wondering because 2 games before that on a different field the blue called the guy out and then it happened to us.

i use their head as my target,and hope they don't move it:D

with 2 strikes sometimes i'll throw one behind them to see if i can hit the bat for a 3rd strike :eek: :D