Ball cor./compression numbers

MorganGrafixx

Extra Hitter
Can someone give me some insight into the numbers on the balls? I thought (mistakenly) that the larger the number, the harder the ball and the harder the ball, the better it was.

Last weekend we entered a 1-pitch tournament, but balls were not supplied by the TD. So it was a mad dash for everyone to dump out their bags to find the best balls to use. I had a few mush balls that I use for the little guy's practices and a few that were .50 cor. I handed the 50s over to the team manager and he bounced a couple on the ground and said they were GTG, then the next that was an even higher number. As soon as he heard it bounce he said NGTG. He said it was too hard. I think he called it a "rock".

I think I'm misunderstanding something when it comes to the numbers stamped on the balls. Is there a chart or manufacturer's spec. sheet somewhere that I can look at? Or could one of you guys kindly post a list of what the numbers mean?

MorganGrafixx

Extra Hitter
So does this guy ..

http://forums.softballfans.com/showpost.php?p=11622943&postcount=26

Search feature is a wonderful tool when used at this site ....

Yes, the search feature is great. I use it often. However in this instance, it failed me. My search returned TONS of threads/posts where folks were crying about what ball the league is making them use now (go figure), or how many miles they hit a 55COR ball opposite field.
Thanks for the tip though!