Ball Exit speed

Hiltz

Built for comfort
260' fence line.. heck my old a** could become a hr hero on those fields

It's pathetic. We use a +2 HR rule, not uncommon for 15+ HR's per game. A few years ago we trialed a straight 7hr/game limit; opening night double-header we hit all 14 possible homeruns, the other team hit 12, there were over 80 runs scored over both games, and I got to field two grounders in 14 innings at 2b.

And for some reason, there's still a huge resistance to wood bats...

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
It's pathetic. We use a +2 HR rule, not uncommon for 15+ HR's per game. A few years ago we trialed a straight 7hr/game limit; opening night double-header we hit all 14 possible homeruns, the other team hit 12, there were over 80 runs scored over both games, and I got to field two grounders in 14 innings at 2b.

Wood bats are really the only option for a 260' field.

A couple parks around here are 250' and still use composite and .44 375s. I've never played there, and I don't want to. It wouldn't even be fun.

jhitman

You ever go to a party and there was that one guy who was just so ignorant and awkward he killed conversations by opening his mouth? You just met that guy.

Some teammates and I did some indoor hitting last winter for the first time, the place we went to loaned out radar guns. All balls were .52/275 Worth Hot Dots in varying condition. No big hitters involved, just a bunch of rec league guys. Typical exit speeds were low to mid 80's, some guys struggled to hit 80. Me and our 21yo muscly-armed paperboy had a battle for highest speed; we both got into the 90's. He hit a few at 92 and got 94 once, I hit 91 with 3 different composite bats, then I got 93 with a singlewall TPS Powerdome of all things. Fastest exit speeds were from one-hoppers and hard, low liners right back up the middle. Balls that felt crushed and had HR trajectory were way lower, usually around 80-85. For reference, the young gun and myself regularly hit HR's in the 300'-320' range but rarely hit anything farther. We might each get ahold of 1-2 balls/season that get over 330'. For someone to hit a ball 375+, you're probably looking at exit speed in the 100's combined with near ideal trajectory and spin.

I saw a video of some of the conference players where their exit speeds were being measured. Every hit that the exit speed was 95mph or into the 100's were either line drives or hard ground balls. Exit speed is important but in order to hit HR's the exit speed as well as the spin/cut, weather conditions etc. will determine distance.

blakcherry329

Should go to Clinchers.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
WOW!! No fun there.

What about aluminum bats? since wood bats are not (cool).

That was suggested and shot down because "aluminum bats aren't common and are hard to get."

Wood bats are really the only option for a 260' field.

A couple parks around here are 250' and still use composite and .44 375s. I've never played there, and I don't want to. It wouldn't even be fun.

It's not fun. Our 35+ wood bat league is full and has new teams trying to get in while our "competitive men's league" has 6 teams and is in danger of folding every year.

Should go to Clinchers.

We had enough moaning when we went to .52's.

Matth

260' fence line.. heck my old a** could become a hr hero on those fields
I used to play on a field that was 270 back when the Ultra first came out. You'd just stand there in the outfield and watch balls leave the park one after another. All homers after you were one up were doubles. It was boring. My field now is 355 to left. It is fun to play on. 260. I can't even imagine.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hit with a guy who tops out at 75, and he is usually hitting 280' fly ball, but usually runs into 3 or 4 HRs a year. I think 75 is pretty tough to get one out with, regardless of spin
I don't think that 3-4 a year constitutes pretty tough, but there's a much latter factor here i think you're missing. If he tops out at 75, then he's hitting it in the air with backspin at a noticeably lower exit speed.

BSBR

Starting Player
I don't think that 3-4 a year constitutes pretty tough, but there's a much latter factor here i think you're missing. If he tops out at 75, then he's hitting it in the air with backspin at a noticeably lower exit speed.

Or maybe on those 3 or 4 Hr's a year, everything comes together and he generates additional exit speed or perfect spin or the wind is blowing out, or who knows. 3 or 4 homeruns out of around 150 at bats (2-2.7 % occurrence) constitutes pretty tough to me. A guy who has top exit speeds of 75mph is going to have difficulty hitting a 300' HR. I guess my point was that 75mph exit speeds are pretty common and wouldn't be considered a "good" exit speed, more like an average exit speed. Good exit speed would be considered 85-90MPH.

blakcherry329

You're way too caught up in the mph off the bat as opposed to good technique. I'll take a guy with 75-80mph exit speed that knows wtf he's doing at the plate. A HR only has to clear the fence. It doesn't have to go 400'. If you're trying to swing for 90+ mph every AB, I guarantee you aren't hitting consistently.
Let me guess, you play ASA, correct?

tonys1

You're way too caught up in the mph off the bat as opposed to good technique. I'll take a guy with 75-80mph exit speed that knows wtf he's doing at the plate. A HR only has to clear the fence. It doesn't have to go 400'. If you're trying to swing for 90+ mph every AB, I guarantee you aren't hitting consistently.

And without busting anyone's bubble, it's clear that the below isn't something that happens on a regular basis even for exceptional players. When's the last time you saw someone hit a ball 456 feet?

Look at Pauly & Beard videos, even the ones outside where they're hitting 95+ mph. Straight into the ground or liners.

Using Joker's site to calculate 90mph exit speed:

full

Hiltz

Built for comfort

Not once did the OP say that exit speed was more important than good hitting. If all other things are equal, the guy hitting 90+ is gonna have a higher average, more RBI's, and more extra-base hits than the guy hitting 75 simply because the defence has a much smaller margin for error.

That said, I get your point. The majority of players that swing 100% sacrifice consistency for power. The guys that can hit 90+ AND square up the ball consistently are the guys playing at a high level, not the average rec guy.

ShortYellowBus

Not once did the OP say that exit speed was more important than good hitting.

OP didn’t say it. Everyone else is saying it. Start at the top, and read your way down. I just attempted to skip through the impending Bs answers and said what he needed to hear.

The thread is irrelevant and he proves that by using google, watching a YouTube video and coming back with a definitive conclusion; answers his own question thus negating the purpose of this thread.

The OP was regarded as a novice by some, and it is my opinion that his fascination with numbers suggests that he’s enthused by technology being introduced into the game. It eventually happens in all sports.

Technology discussions are inevitable.

And in many occasions we’ve argued that technology can’t possibly have the same consistency’s as a fully developed, fundamentally solid swing obtained through repetition. Which takes me back to the initial posting; don’t look too far into the numbers. They can be misleading.

Matth

No way in hell is that accurate ... by that measure, every high school baseball player (not pitcher) can throw a baseball 328 feet in the air.
I was thinking the same. However perhaps even if a person can throw 75 mph throwing straight ahead, he probably can’t create the same exit speed throwing at the launch angle necessary to throw 328 feet. Same goes for hitting.

blakcherry329

Not once did the OP say that exit speed was more important than good hitting. If all other things are equal, the guy hitting 90+ is gonna have a higher average, more RBI's, and more extra-base hits than the guy hitting 75 simply because the defence has a much smaller margin for error.

That said, I get your point. The majority of players that swing 100% sacrifice consistency for power. The guys that can hit 90+ AND square up the ball consistently are the guys playing at a high level, not the average rec guy.
No he didn't. However he did say "Exit velocity is a measure of whether what I'm working on is actually improving my swing" and a few other statements like that. So I guess I made assumptions. Also, rarely, outside of upper level players, is everything going to be equal with a hitter swinging out of his shoes and a guy swinging 75mph. This isn't a black and white discussion. There's too many variables.

BSBR

Starting Player
"What would be considered a decent ball exit speed on .52s, in your opinion? Ive been told each mph is worth about 4 feet, so 75mph exit speed would be 300 ft? So anything above that would be solid?"

This is my original post. Not should I work on backspin, not is exit velocity the only thing that matters, not should I work on consistency, not is technology important in todays game. not any of the bull**** that idiots want to turn this question into. Plain and simple, in your opinion what's a decent exit speed. Should of known better than to post a simple question on this board. I think how hard you hit the ball matters, the harder you hit it, the better chance you have of getting on base. Never once did I mention HR's in the original post.

100% this. Thanks Hiltz for not being a moron.
Never thought I'd start to think that Joker is one of the more reasonable people on this board, I'm starting to get his viewpoint.

Joker

"What would be considered a decent ball exit speed on .52s, in your opinion? Ive been told each mph is worth about 4 feet, so 75mph exit speed would be 300 ft? So anything above that would be solid?"

This is my original post. Not should I work on backspin, not is exit velocity the only thing that matters, not should I work on consistency, not is technology important in todays game. not any of the bull**** that idiots want to turn this question into. Plain and simple, in your opinion what's a decent exit speed. Should of known better than to post a simple question on this board. I think how hard you hit the ball matters, the harder you hit it, the better chance you have of getting on base. Never once did I mention HR's in the original post.

Never thought I'd start to think that Joker is one of the more reasonable people on this board, I'm starting to get his viewpoint.

that most people on here are idiots and have no clue what they are talking about?

FLEET

bowling ball nut swanga

get off hiltz and jokers nuts. they don't wanna be your friend.

blakcherry329

Sorry for being a moron, however, your original post is moronic. Exit speed is only a small part of what goes into hitting. 75mph = 300' if other factors are thrown in, wind direction and speed, launch angle, etc. As mentioned before, exit speeds under 75mph have resulted in HRs. So, what is the question really asking? So I'm a moron, but you're asking a common-sense question to which you should know the answer.
If you can hit the ball hard and consistent, you'll be ok. As I've said before, you're too caught up on a number. If you start at a certain number, and it goes up, your hard work is paying off. smh.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Sorry for being a moron, however, your original post is moronic. Exit speed is only a small part of what goes into hitting. 75mph = 300' if other factors are thrown in, wind direction and speed, launch angle, etc. As mentioned before, exit speeds under 75mph have resulted in HRs. So, what is the question really asking?

What would be considered a decent ball exit speed on .52s, in your opinion?

I think he was asking what people consider to be a decent exit speed with .52's, in your opinion.

58 posts later he has 1 straight answer.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

Can't call people morons or say you never mentioned homeruns when you very specifically cited 300'. You didn't pick 300' because that's the distance to the outfield grass.