ASA ball hits people or bat outside dugout

pineapple

say two people out of the dugout or a bat is on the fence..
ball from outfield is thrown and hits either.. whats the call if a runner scores say the play is runners on 2nd and 3rd 1 out

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
This is considered a "blocked ball," and we have to ask ourselves: who created the blocked ball, the offense or defense (ie., who's out of the dugout that shouldn't be)?

If the defense created the blocked ball, then it's handled the same as an overthrow. All runners are awarded 2 bases from their position at the time of the throw.

If the offense created the blocked ball, then the ball becomes immediately dead, and all runners return to the last base(s) they touched. If the blocked ball hindered the defense from making a play on a runner, then that runner is declared out. However, the umpire must judge that the defense had a reasonable chance at getting that runner out. If they'd already crossed the plate, are standing on a base, the throw was way off, etc., then it's just a dead ball.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
When the ball contacts team members out of the dugout, or equipment not being used in the game, it is a blocked ball.

If the person/equipment is from the defensive team, then the ball is dead and runners are awarded two bases.

If the person/equipment is from the offensive team, then the ball is dead and any runners must return to the last base touched at the time the ball became dead. If the contact prevented the defense from making an out, then the runner being played upon is out.

(Edited to add: Or, I could of just posted "What NCASA said"!)

sjury

The Old Man
What if the two people outside the dugout are the on deck batter and base coach? I would assume as well the OP meant two people that shouldn't be there, and equipment that shouldn't be there, but now days you never know. Is that bat hanging on the fence on a league supplied rack and is it supposed to be there, is it the batter's bat, or is it some dudes bat that the on deck batter didn't put in the dugout. Here a lot of our bat racks are on the backstop, and if it hits the bat rack it's a live ball.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
What if the two people outside the dugout are the on deck batter and base coach? I would assume as well the OP meant two people that shouldn't be there, and equipment that shouldn't be there, but now days you never know. Is that bat hanging on the fence on a league supplied rack and is it supposed to be there, is it the batter's bat, or is it some dudes bat that the on deck batter didn't put in the dugout. Here a lot of our bat racks are on the backstop, and if it hits the bat rack it's a live ball.

Good point. Yes, it's a question of whether they're allowed to be there. However, keep in mind that the on-deck batter, while permitted to be on the field, is still obligated to not get hit by the ball. If s/he is, it's a blocked ball.

This question is exactly why we need you guys to stay in the dugout. I'll never understand why 3 guys feel the need to stand around on the field, each holding bats, and they're barely even taking any practice swings.

Wait, I know why it is. It's nothing more than prick-waving to the other team.