ASA ball hitting baserunner & 5 man

abitskrewd

Addicted to Softballfans
just wanted to know for clarification. i tried looking these up online but no luck in my searches.
1. can you play a 5 man infield in ASA? i thought that you could position defenders any where.
2. runner coming to home from third. throw from outfielder is up the third base line and short. bounces and hits baserunners foot. umpire calls baserunner out. what is the correct call?

thanks in advance.

umpguy

Addicted to Softballfans
1: you can indeed position them anywhere as long as their positioning isnt in the batters line of vision, with deliberate unsportsmanlike intent, or act in a manner to distract the batter. also, every defensive player, except the catcher, must be in fair territory at the time of the pitch
2:the runner is not out. live ball, play on

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
If the umpire determined that the baserunner was trying to get hit by the throw from the outfield to prevent a play at home, the runner could be called out for obstruction. But something like that would look fairly obvious if that's what was going on. Was this umpire on loan from the kickball league?

MaverickAH

I am wondering if there isn't more to this story......

Did the umpire call the runner out for the throw just hitting him or did he feel that the runner did something to intentionally make contact with the ball? If it's the former, it's no call & play on. If it's the latter, the right call was made & the kind of call that should always be accompanied with an explanation.

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
If the umpire determined that the baserunner was trying to get hit by the throw from the outfield to prevent a play at home, the runner could be called out for interference. But something like that would look fairly obvious if that's what was going on. Was this umpire on loan from the kickball league?

Post corrected.

abitskrewd

Addicted to Softballfans
there was no call of interference on the play. it was an off throw from the outfield and he wasnt called out for intentionally making contact.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Co-ed or mens?

Does co-ed (5-5/6-6) have different rules regarding 5-man/person infield?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Co-ed or mens?

They do when the coed line is enforced in the OF.

There is no coed line. It's umpire's judgment as to whether a fielder is defending the areas around 1st, 2nd, 3rd or shortstop, which makes them an infielder.

In coed, you may only have 4 infielders (not including pitcher and catcher), and no more than 2 can be of the same gender. Running a "5-man infield" would put a third player of the same gender in the infield.

rocketman98

Starting Player
There is no coed line. It's umpire's judgment as to whether a fielder is defending the areas around 1st, 2nd, 3rd or shortstop, which makes them an infielder.

In coed, you may only have 4 infielders (not including pitcher and catcher), and no more than 2 can be of the same gender. Running a "5-man infield" would put a third player of the same gender in the infield.

Can you explain this to me? I have been called for a coed line in coed softball.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Co-ed or mens?

They do when the coed line is enforced in the OF.

Can you explain this to me? I have been called for a coed line in coed softball.

Local leagues have adopted a "coed line," but that's not an actual ASA rule.

In ASA Championship Play, there's no line on the field that designates the infield from the outfield. And before anyone asks, no, the grass is not to be taken into consideration.

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
I always love playing softball by kickball rules..... Pegsies are allowed! Especially to the head. Last team standing wins...

bigsmooth13

Manager
If the runner was running on the inside of the base line, then I can see the runner being called out for interference. If he was on the outside of the base line, there would be no reason for him to be called out.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
If the runner was running on the inside of the base line, then I can see the runner being called out for interference. If he was on the outside of the base line, there would be no reason for him to be called out.

The likelihood of me making that call on an off throw goes way down.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
the runner could be called out for obstruction

A runner can never be called out for obstruction. Only the defense can obstruct.

2. runner coming to home from third. throw from outfielder is up the third base line and short. bounces and hits baserunners foot. umpire calls baserunner out. what is the correct call?

Absolutely. When the whiffle ball hits a runner, he is out. Good call.

League rule. You may also see "can't enter the dirt area" or "can't touch a girl-hit ball before it leaves the infield" rules. Typical allowance for weaker female players. You won't see that sort of thing in 5/5 coed leagues where the women are better than the men.

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
I can see it being called if the runner is looking back towards the outfield and significantly diverts his running lane into the path of the ball. Otherwise, play on!

abitskrewd

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks. umpire only said he was out cause the ball hit him. No further explaination was given, which is why i asked for clarification here.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

Not a shot and not very smart. Runner can run anywhere they damn well please and would be overturned on a protest if given as a reason for an INT call

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
A quick fix

League rule. You may also see "can't enter the dirt area" or "can't touch a girl-hit ball before it leaves the infield" rules. Typical allowance for weaker female players. You won't see that sort of thing in 5/5 coed leagues where the women are more sober than the men.

Fixed it for you ;)

quick23

Not if you leave them on the grass... We ran into this a few weeks ago playing GSL. One of the males got caught on the dirt and the ump called "illegal defensive positioning" and awarded the batter option of keeping the resulting play or a "do over".

From then on as long as the 5-man stayed on the grass during the pitch, it wasn't illegal...

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Not if you leave them on the grass... We ran into this a few weeks ago playing GSL. One of the males got caught on the dirt and the ump called "illegal defensive positioning" and awarded the batter option of keeping the resulting play or a "do over".

From then on as long as the 5-man stayed on the grass during the pitch, it wasn't illegal...

I guess you missed that part where I said the grass isn't to be taken into consideration.