ASA Ball in fair portion of batter's box

MichaelS

The Veteran
The other week one of the women on our team hit the ball and it went about 6 inches staying inside the batters box but in the fair portion. Everybody stood there for a few seconds and the ump called the ball foul.

Is there a fair portion of the batter's box in ASA? If so what's the right thing to do for the ump? This has been perplexing me for a week and I'd appreciate your insight :)

spos21ram

The Legend
Ump should say nothing. An ump only calls "foul ball". A catcher with any experience will make the play and throw it to first on anything close to being fair.

Comp

Addicted to Softballfans
Ump should never verbalize fair, only foul. Umpire should have simply pointed into fair territory indicating the ball was fair and in play.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Yes, a significant portion of the batter's box is in fair territory.

Umpire should signal fair ball over and over again until someone gets a clue. Eventually, someone will figure it out.

sjury

The Old Man
Fair Ball.... unless the umpire judges it's foul then it's a foul ball. Without seeing exactly where the ball is you can't make that assumption. I would think the umpire has a good view of where the ball is in the box. If he called it foul, he most likely would have called it foul had the catcher picked it up and throw to first. You can't really do anything, unless you ask him and he states that any ball in the batter's box is foul, then protest. If he says, he judged it to be foul, then play on, and tell your lady friend to take some BP.

MichaelS

The Veteran
thanks all. it was definitely sitting there in fair territory but since he called it foul it was a foul. Didn't affect the outcome or anything, not worth asking him for clarification (and I'm not the manager) since we were up by about 15 runs.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
Ump should say nothing. An ump only calls "foul ball". A catcher with any experience will make the play and throw it to first on anything close to being fair.

If the batter is still in the box, a catcher with any experience makes the tag, rather than risking a throw going wild.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
But, if the ball hits the batter in the box, even the fair portion of the box, isn't it still a foul ball? Maybe it hit the girl's foot.