Balls/bats in different temps- hopefully it helps

u234bob

Blah Blah Blah
Heat and cold are a definite factor with softballs. Worth sports has done many tests regarding these effects. The results of their studies are as follows:

Temperature affects a softball at approximately this level:
For every 1 degree of temperature change the compression changes approximately 5 pounds.

Balls are usually tested at 72 degrees.
If the playing temperature is 82 degrees the compression changes approximately 50 lbs which will make a 375 ball play like a 325. Conversely if the temperature is 62 degress a 375 ball will play like a 425. (That is why in cold weather aluminum bats dent much easier and composite bats break much easier--the ball is harder) bat warmers help keep the bat more flexible and may provide some level of protection but it is the hardness of the ball that does the most damage to the bat.

If a game is played at 92 degrees your 375 compression softball will play like a 275 compression ball. This can be one explanation for why many players feel that their bat seems to have lost it's pop. It is often times simply that the compression of the ball changes so dramatically when it is hot or humid.

These are only estimates and there are other factors such as humidity, etc. that also take effect on the balls.

Joker

this is not news. also this is very basic and there are many more factors. also also worth balls suck

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans
Just get some 52/300's or 52/275's they pretty much stay the same in the hot and cold temps.

puppychow1

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the info, never hurts to be reminded. Especially when you play in the grat white north. Some of my girls are outside hitting balls when the temp is in the upper 40's F.

u234bob

Blah Blah Blah
I know that you know everything there is to know about softball Joker. I was trying to help others and yes worth softballs suck, we all know that.

HrBump13

Addicted to Softballfans
So now I understand why I could not get alot of ususal distance in the 85-90* heat & 85-90% humidity. I was not the only one suffering for this reason tho. It seemed to be league wide. I agree w/ this, Worth balls suck.

mattgame

Manager
Heat and cold are a definite factor with softballs. Worth sports has done many tests regarding these effects. The results of their studies are as follows:

For every 1 degree of temperature change the compression changes approximately 5 pounds.

If the playing temperature is 82 degrees the compression changes approximately 50 lbs which will make a 375 ball play like a 325. Conversely if the temperature is 62 degress a 375 ball will play like a 425. (That is why in cold weather aluminum bats dent much easier and composite bats break much easier--the ball is harder) bat warmers help keep the bat more flexible and may provide some level of protection but it is the hardness of the ball that does the most damage to the bat.

If a game is played at 92 degrees your 375 compression softball will play like a 275 compression ball. This can be one explanation for why many players feel that their bat seems to have lost it's pop. It is often times simply that the compression of the ball changes so dramatically when it is hot or humid.

These are only estimates and there are other factors such as humidity, etc. that also take effect on the balls.

I had this explained to me in less detail by a well respected member of this site who seems quite knowledgeable about the game so I concur.

Zarkoff500

Addicted to Softballfans

I have been wondering for a while how much temperature changed the comp of the ball. Assuming that these numbers are correct or even approximately correct, I have put together a quick spread sheet showing what the comp on commonly used balls is depending on the temperature. Again this is very basic and I encourage anyone to make improvements. It is interesting how nearly every ball starts to get pretty hard under 60 degrees and is basically a rock under 50. Thank you for posting this.

Last edited:

joeyh1991

Coach

this is spot on! good post man. alot of ppl seem to think its the bats and it is a little but the big factor like u said is the balls get harder as it gets colder. this should b a sticky for all the newbs to cold weather problems

u234bob

Blah Blah Blah
this is spot on! good post man. alot of ppl seem to think its the bats and it is a little but the big factor like u said is the balls get harder as it gets colder. this should b a sticky for all the newbs to cold weather problems

Finally some apreciation

fun3size

Star Player
this is very interesting and good to know. i've always thought that it had something to do with the bats and that the cold affected their performances. but i guess not! thanks u234bob =)

The irony here is that Worth Sports did the study. Their softballs show the most change in compression by temperature as any of the major brands. Maybe now they should work on how to minimize the variability in compression in relation to temperature. Some other companies have figured it out...

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
The irony here is that Worth Sports did the study. Their softballs show the most change in compression by temperature as any of the major brands. Maybe now they should work on how to minimize the variability in compression in relation to temperature. Some other companies have figured it out...

Worth should quit making softballs...they are by far the worst brand I've used...things gonna be more quiet around here now that joker is banned?

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
Sweet, gonna mash some 585 comp balls in a snowball tourney this weekend haha. Should be fun, sucks for the IF tho:D

Zarkoff500

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the specifics, and thanks for the chart.

:). I agree that this probably isn't a linear equation but should give us a better idea how the temps affect the balls. For example, I don't think that the Classic + ball varies as much as the graph shows.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Joker may not be "nice" but he is right in this case. If Worth would spend a little more time working on the design of their balls and less time testing compression maybe they could make a better product. P17 is correct I guess the hot dots are the "best" Worth ball. Still people around here call the not hot dots. I guess its better than the rest of the worth balls that either deform or turn into pilows after 4 swings.

DynamicD

Addicted to Softballfans
Sanctions should use different balls meant for different weather conditions to make the ball play similar during the cold/hot day/night.

UTRIP worlds used classic M balls that were awful during the day and great at night...

...or make a ball that plays similar in all conditions and use that. Thoughts?

BORCH94

Addicted to Softballfans
Sanctions should use different balls meant for different weather conditions to make the ball play similar during the cold/hot day/night.

UTRIP worlds used classic M balls that were awful during the day and great at night...

...or make a ball that plays similar in all conditions and use that. Thoughts?

I kind of like that idea, but I think the only balls that perform close in different conditions are rock hard balls and mush balls for the most part.

It would be nice for balls to stay more consistent. I hate when one week the balls are flying out left and right and then the next week you see one ball that is hit out, and it had to be cut well just to get it out.

HrBump13

Addicted to Softballfans
So Worth balls are terrible & all softball bats are GTG!!! This is good info, nonetheless.

DynamicD

Addicted to Softballfans
Just buy TATTOO balls they hit the same hot or cold

EVIL and TATTOO do seem to stay more consistent.

I'm guessing vaporlock is important in maintaining performance. :confused:

I'm sure Buggs could weigh in... if he is willing to give up his secrets.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Puh-lease, all you need to know is break out your doublewall metal when it's hot, and use your composite when it's under 80 degrees. Case closed :D