NSA Base running

msw4indy

Addicted to Softballfans
Had this happen in a league game the other night. It didn't have an effect on the out come but made me curious of the correct rule. Runner on first and batter hits a grounder to 2nd. Second baseman fields the ball and goes toward the runner that is forced to second base to tag him. He stops and goes back towards first. I've always thought if the forced runner retreats to avoid a tag that he is out? Umpire said that it was changed this year? Just curious if there is such a rule. Thanks

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
Had this happen in a league game the other night. It didn't have an effect on the out come but made me curious of the correct rule. Runner on first and batter hits a grounder to 2nd. Second baseman fields the ball and goes toward the runner that is forced to second base to tag him. He stops and goes back towards first. I've always thought if the forced runner retreats to avoid a tag that he is out? Umpire said that it was changed this year? Just curious if there is such a rule. Thanks

It is only between home and first.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
This is legal, but the part about "it was just changed this year" is BS. It's always been that way.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Google "Pickle"

Wait....that might not be a good idea. "Baseball rundown" might be a safe bet.

So I was called out on this play at Nationals. runner on 1st and 2nd and I was on 2nd ball hit to 3rd who went to tag me and throw to 2nd for a DP. I stopped and took a step backwards so he missed me and was called out for going backwards. So was that call incorrect?

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes

So I was called out on this play at Nationals. runner on 1st and 2nd and I was on 2nd ball hit to 3rd who went to tag me and throw to 2nd for a DP. I stopped and took a step backwards so he missed me and was called out for going backwards. So was that call incorrect?

How did your protest come out?

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Man, there are some BAD umps out there :)

I can't even comprehend that an ump would think you can't run back (except 1B to home).

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
I have seen this called both ways. I know up here in MN it was taught at the USSSA umpire clinics that the forced runner could stop but at the point he begins to retreat he is in fact out (this is a few years ago). So at this point, I cant tell you which way I would be expected to make that call.