Bat companies should only make 12 inch barrels

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Again back to Geometry and Physics, A sweet spot farther away from the end of the bat will yield less velocity.

Normy

I don't disagree. Supply and demand trumps geometry though. A lot of players want barrels for dayyyys.

Country469

the thing buggs is forgetting here is that 90% of softball players aren't finding the sweet spot consistently anyway. They need all the forgiveness they can get. Thats facts of life.

Most guys are better off at 80% of their max exit velocity but with a bigger area to hit on.

Redsfan

Buggs, your next thread should be why would a man ever need a 25 or 26 oz bat. That would be some good reading entertainment. The noodle armed guys will be all over you. LOL

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
I dont hate on the 26s, with the way they build and load/weight bats today sometimes those are the ones with the most weight on the end

Normy

Those bottle looking fast pitch bats always looked stupid, and its even stupider when softball players use them I think too. Small barrel, 1 OZ EL for life
The ugly duckling award definitely goes to the longer barrels. I'm with you on bat selection. Half oz EL for me in 28's though.

ShortYellowBus

I dont hate on the 26s, with the way they build and load/weight bats today sometimes those are the ones with the most weight on the end
Hate to be that guy, but you did cite geometry laws (I hate that the sweet spot is 2.5 inches away from the most vulnerable area of a bat) early in thread but regretfully disregard the first laws of physics, as it pertains to energy transfer bat to ball.

A sledgehammer is heavy and all ballast is on one end for maximum energy transfer. You need all extra weight to do the most efficient work. It’s an intelligent design.

This thread is right along those lines of thinking.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I can't believe how concerned some failed baseball players are over what other failed baseball players are swinging.

Country469

My complaint with combats always being out toward the end cap was that no other bat was like that and you either needed all combats or no combats

Yes norman I owned a few combats in my day

Normy

My complaint with combats always being out toward the end cap was that no other bat was like that and you either needed all combats or no combats

Yes norman I owned a few combats in my day
Lol, maybe that's why I'm having a hard time making the switch. End capper Norman haha

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
the thing buggs is forgetting here is that 90% of softball players aren't finding the sweet spot consistently anyway. They need all the forgiveness they can get. Thats facts of life.

Most guys are better off at 80% of their max exit velocity but with a bigger area to hit on.
Most people don't even know what they're best with, and even less understand why. They see player a hit ball far, and go out and buy the same bat he used.

Redsfan

Most people don't even know what they're best with, and even less understand why. They see player a hit ball far, and go out and buy the same bat he used.

You can't buy talent. I know a few people that can't hit but have $2000-$3000 in bats. But when you have practice they can't ever show up. But when they go 0-4 in the game they have to get another new bat because the ones they have suck.

Normy

You can't buy talent. I know a few people that can't hit but have $2000-$3000 in bats. But when you have practice they can't ever show up. But when they go 0-4 in the game they have to get another new bat because the ones they have suck.
God forbid it could be improper swing mechanics or just a plain miss hit..

Country469

I tired explaining to a guy one time that you can only get yourself out in softball. Its not like you got fooled, or over powered, or saw ungodly breaking stuff. Its underhand at 12 mph. You either swung at the wrong time, hit the wrong part of the ball, uppercut too much, etc..... you get yourself out in softball and you can only blame you for it.

Redsfan

I always liked the guys that grunt real loud after they see they hit a good one. They swing just as hard on their pop ups but don't grunt. lol

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I always liked the guys that grunt real loud after they see they hit a good one. They swing just as hard on their pop ups but don't grunt. lol

I play with a guy that grunts about a full second after contact. Holds his breath and tenses up, then lets out his air after the swing. I understand why it happens but I still make fun of him.

I grunt on every swing but only the catcher and umpire would hear it.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I guess the only real reason to mandate 12" barrel bats only would be to make the game harder overall. Make it so you can't get away with swinging like a girl and hitting the ball 350' because your bat has a sweetspot 9" long. I also agree there should be a minimum weight allowed for slowpitch bats....and it should be at least 27 oz. Let's face it, the bats today are out of control. Its time for slowpitch to do something like college did and significantly reign in the hotness of bats. Establishing a minimum weight of 27 or 28 oz would go a long way to help. Gone would be the days of frail girly-men swinging 24 and 25 oz bats to achieve success.

Longer barrel bats absolutely have larger sweetspots than 12" barrel bats. What makes 12" barrel bats shine is that the sweetspot is out toward the end of the bat more (as mentioned). Obviously this produces longer and harder hits, assuming one is a good enough hitter to find said smaller sweetspot.

I personally prefer 12" barrel bats. I don't like the way 14"s feel or how they swing. I don't want the sweetspot right above my hands.

Country469

yeah this will never that happen though. Slow pitch isn't a scholastic or kid sport. The equipment is all market driven. Its exactly what the consumer asks for, Its only going to get worse.

Ive stated before and I'll say it again. If softball is ever all wood bats only, I'm returning to competitve ball. Until then its as much hitting derby as it is real softball and Im done with that crap.

Normy

yeah this will never that happen though. Slow pitch isn't a scholastic or kid sport. The equipment is all market driven. Its exactly what the consumer asks for, Its only going to get worse.

Ive stated before and I'll say it again. If softball is ever all wood bats only, I'm returning to competitve ball. Until then its as much hitting derby as it is real softball and Im done with that crap.
Being a placement hitter and pitcher, I'd love to see that happen even at the rec level. Like you said, good luck with ever seeing that come to pass.