Bat control help with overlap or stack grip

A Cy 617

Dad, Fire fighter, bat flipper.
Hey all!

looking to add a little more snap, and bat lag into my swing. So I am changing from a conventional bat grip, to a stacked grip. The problem im having, is such a lack of control. Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated!

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
it really is about practice to strengthen hands forearms etc to get used to the unconventional grip

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
You'll never have the bat control with an overlap grip that you do with a conventional grip. Obviously you can get better with BP, but it'll never be perfect. By using an overlap grip you're trading a little bat control for more distance/whip.

Personally, I use a 2 finger overlap when I'm trying to steer the ball. I use a full overlap when I'm taking a hard swing and trying for a HR.

My advice would be to keep using both grips, depending on the situation. If you just want an oppo base hit, use a conventional grip. Save the overlap grip for when you're going for all out bombs/distance.

The overlap grip takes a long, LONG time to master. Many people never switch to the overlap grip full time because they underestimate how many reps it takes for it to feel comfortable. Your best bet is to basically spend a whole winter learning it. Don't immediately try the overlap grip in games. You'll need thousands of BP reps.

dunkky

also there's a variation of overlap grips. are you going with a full over lap, 1 finger or 2 fingers down or what?

you need to build up one by one, don't go full overlap out of no where from the beginning.

Country469

this isn't going to help the OP at all guys.

you're just giving lousy ass information and assuming you have a clue again.

anyone beside TW going to play above D this year?

Country469

The problem here is probably that the OP hasn't learned to adjust his pitch selection to a new swing.

When you change your swing, where you want the ball to land or cross changes too.

If you aren't factoring that in, you're pretending to know about hitting on the internet again

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
The problem here is probably that the OP hasn't learned to adjust his pitch selection to a new swing.

When you change your swing, where you want the ball to land or cross changes too.

If you aren't factoring that in, you're pretending to know about hitting on the internet again

This is true. With the overlap grip you probably aren't going to be able to reach all the pitches you did with a conventional grip. Your strike zone will shrink a little bit. You'll have to figure out which pitches best suit that grip.

I don't even know if I can state enough how hard the overlap grip is to master. It takes a long time, and the great majority of people won't put the work in to get good with it.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
I went full overlap, felt the best, it took me about 2 years to fell real comfortable in games, during bp and tee work felt good, but during games I would resort back to conventional at times, for me the overlap slowed my swing down, meaning not always swinging out of my a$$ lol, I feel more control, I go oppo now more with greater consistency, I drop a pinkie and use a knob cuff, I always liked smaller barrel and half endload, but last year tried an est balance big barrel in a 27oz and it all just feels fluid, I’m by no means a masher, but line drives and solid hits are better

dunkky

Having softball knowledge doesn't make me feel like I am big nor stud. no one's pretending here. Softball ain't that important. Just offering a help based on my experience. It's up to OP to take it or leave it.

Country469

But let me clear, I think you drunkky do pretend to have a ****ing clue when most of the time you dont

A Cy 617

Dad, Fire fighter, bat flipper.
fun fact.. i struck the op out looking once with a behind the back knuckler

still have nightmares of that pitch!

Other note : I am a usssa B rated player.

I never wore batting gloves, I think with stacking i’ll have to

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
still have nightmares of that pitch!

Other note : I am a usssa B rated player.

I never wore batting gloves, I think with stacking i’ll have to

For long BP sessions you'll need batting gloves for the overlap grip, especially if you aren't used to the grip. It'll chafe your hands in different spots than a normal grip. I generally don't use batting gloves for games though.

Last edited:

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
Slowly work in one finger at a time. Or at least that’s what she said lol. Start with overlapping your pinky. Then once your used to it. Pinky and ring. Etc. you will find a happy medium for yourself along the way. For me it’s not full. Index of top hand stays on the handle and middle starts the overlap 90% of the time. When I find myself struggling I will put middle finger on the handle also so only overlap the bottom two and seems to help me with those off days for control.

dunkky

i found with overlap, your glove will wear out quickly, bottom hand side due to the knob pressure you apply in your palm area. that's been my experience. people talk about deer skin glove that will last for a long time. you may wanna look into that. i am using one and i love it. great grip and good investment.

ShortYellowBus

For bp and stacked overlap, I wear a football WR glove under my left hand glove.

My palm takes a lot of abuse and sometimes I’ll blister and bleed through if I don’t.

FLEET

bowling ball nut swanga
this predisposition is so much a part of the warp and woof of these busters, that they can't disguise it.

jhitman

For long BP sessions you'll need batting gloves for the overlap grip, especially if you aren't used to the grip. It'll chafe your hands in different spots than a normal grip. I generally don't use batting gloves for games though.

No doubt you need batting gloves....was using the interlocking finger version of the overlap and got bad marks and even a small blister. I have now switched to a total overlap (not interlocking the finger) and having better results. I use the Mechanix gloves instead of regular batting gloves. They are typically much thicker and will protect your hands better IMO.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
No doubt you need batting gloves....was using the interlocking finger version of the overlap and got bad marks and even a small blister. I have now switched to a total overlap (not interlocking the finger) and having better results. I use the Mechanix gloves instead of regular batting gloves. They are typically much thicker and will protect your hands better IMO.

I would highly recommend NOT using any sort of interlock grip. Your hands are going to move (twist) a little when you swing a softball bat. With an interlock grip you're jamming your fingers together. It'll result in some chafing, jamming, and pain.

I see absolutely zero benefit to an interlock grip in softball.

Also, Mechanix gloves chafe your hands worse than other gloves because they're not real leather. I've had really bad experiences with them. Always go for real leather batting gloves. Even leather work gloves will be fine.

JMASTERJ

I experimented a bit with overlap and interlock, which I use both for golf, but for softball just didnt feel it, nor do I want to... standard baseball grip works fine, if I can hit homers with that grip, then I'm not gonna change... Cant even guarantee I'll be playing softball in 1-2 years, which it does seem it may take to get used to thee other grips.

I say unless u really wanna dedicated 1-2 years, just use whatever is comfortable to you and go with it. But if you have bp every week and is a long term goal, I dont think anyone can tell u what to do, you have to experiment and get data.

Redsfan

I've held the bat the same way for 40+ years. Never heard of the overlap grip for softball until I joined this forum in 2018. I use a pinky/first finger interlock golfing but baseball grip for softball/baseball. So I was curious and tried a few versions of it while hitting off the tee and during live pitch. First off like what other guys say, it would take a long time to get used to it. At my age I'm not going to waste my time with it. If you were new to softball and never really played baseball I think you could learn it faster. I'm lucky and have a pretty good natural swing and can hit HR's with not much extra effort. I didn't want to lose any bat control for more "power". Our fences are only 310. A 325 ft HR counts the same as a 330 ft HR. Me lifting weights 3 days a week helps more for power than a different grip in my opinion.