Bat/endcap design question (anti-altering)

mychal

BET+UNCF+BASA+BHM=STFU
I recently came across pics of this bat and it's different than the endcap designs I've seen on bats before:
http://www.softballbats.com/product/louisville-slugger-tps-h2-hybrid--fp11h28-fastpitch/11630/

I'm sure that having an old-style fully rolled endcap creates design limitations that would affect performance, but this seems like it would be a great compromise between the rolled singlewall-style end and a normal endcap that makes bats easy to shave. I can't imagine this design would be easy to shave and with an aluminum barrel rolling wouldn't be an issue. This one is a doublewall with a composite handle, so the performance should theoretically be pretty decent. If it can be designed to perform as well as good current metal bats (RT/TZ, Nano, white steel, etc), I would love for the associations to make this sort of design a standard requirement (and give us good balls again)...

Questions:
1) How hard would it be for this bat to be altered (shaved)?
2) Could this design be done with a composite barrel? If so, how would the rolled part of the end respond if the bat was compressed (rolling, vising) or if a player made contact with the ball too close to the end?
(p.s. if there was a composite version, I can live with people rolling them as long as it can't be shaved)

The 2011 LS H2 Hybrid -8 Fastpitch bat:
item-ls11-fp11h28-1l.jpg

item-ls11-fp11h28l.jpg

Last edited:

CYCLONES_COACH

Addicted to Softballfans
I can tell ya this. A buddy of mine bought his girl one and had it rolled. She had a brand new octagon barreled bat. The reason he had for doing it was he thought it was all composite but they are double wall with aluminum on the outside. It has some kind of seamless transition from the composite handle to the aluminum barrel. Anyway back on topic. I think that style endcap would be tuff to mess with especially if it had some kinda ears that could go in between the layers of composite material.

db521

Addicted to Softballfans
TPS has been using this end for a while now. I am not sure it can be done with a fully composite bat, but I would be interested to hear what some others here would say.

mychal

BET+UNCF+BASA+BHM=STFU
TPS has been using this end for a while now. I am not sure it can be done with a fully composite bat, but I would be interested to hear what some others here would say.

I guess I haven't been paying attention. I wasn't aware of this type of design. I wonder if there are any performance limitations compared to normal doublewall aluminum designs.

Lord7

Banned User
That would not be hard to shave at all. From the videos I've seen, it appears that most hones open up once inside the barrel.

db521

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess I haven't been paying attention. I wasn't aware of this type of design. I wonder if there are any performance limitations compared to normal doublewall aluminum designs.

Not exactly something they advertise big time. I didn't see it myself until this year, but it was on a much older bat (the tps ai). I haven't hit any doublewall aluminums to know a difference, but the ai does hit well.

I wish I had an answer for your question on if it can be applied to a composite, but I am sure it has been checked on and I have a feeling there is a reason we don't see it more.

socalguy

Addicted to Softballfans
i dont see how this design would have any negative impact on rolling and shaving. worth has the same design on some of its youth metal bats.

hrdchrgin13

I'm fairly certain that you can modify a Lathe cutter bit to fit in that hole, they would have to make it probably close to a 1" hole to really make it hard to get into.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
Hopefully these don't have rods in the handle a la Mikens, which would defeat the purpose of these end caps.

Combat28Mech

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm fairly certain that you can modify a Lathe cutter bit to fit in that hole, they would have to make it probably close to a 1" hole to really make it hard to get into.

This is on the right track....Yes you can modify boring bars but like you said with the one inch hole in the end you won't be able to stick that bar out very far unless you make a custom bar. I know we have a tuned bar at work thats 18 inches long for doing deep boring but its inch and a half diameter wouldn't fit. But there are many different companies with many different styles of inserts....Get a good enough machinist making his own bar and finding the right insert still could be done. It would definately make it tough to do but with some engineering I think companies could make it next to impossible but not full fledged impossible.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
i had a TPS Response XXL that had this type of endcap. top notch metal, hit just a hair behind my PST120. i really dont see why a metal can be made like this but not a comp. im sure a bat doc could figure out some type of honing device to get in there and take material out though.....

altieri20

Bat Wh*re
This type of endcap could not be done with the composites the way they are currently manufactured. There is a video on youtube that had an episode of how its made and it shows that the bat is built around a core and then the core is pulled out. Because of this, the barrel has to be straight. However, I'm sure there is a way to manufacturer if slightly different with a collapsible core or something that would allow this design.