Bat shopping

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm on the market for a USSSA bat and I'm torn on what to get. I'm leaning towards 1 of 3 bats but can't decide. I'm of course open to a bat not listed.

1: Monsta Kinetic. I have swung a few USA monstas and love em.

2: Anarchy Nitrous. Only bc Anarchy bats are supposed to be fire and the price is right. I have never swung an Anarchy.

3: Demarini Red Nautalai. I swung a USA Aftermath for 2 seasons and loved it.

I prefer a balanced bat in a true 26oz but don't mind .5 endload. I think Monstas are true to sticker weight but Demarini always weighs like a full oz less than sticker. Dont know anything about Anarchy.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Pick a bat with the best color scheme that fits your taste and has the specs you like (barrel length, EL vs BAL, price, etc.) Between pitching and umpiring, they all seem to do pretty well. I just picked up an Anderson and used it on Sat....was every bot as good for me as any $299 priced bat, but at half the price. Of course it's the only 30oz 240 bat I've swung and it was cold, hitting rock hard balls.

tattooball

The Monsta Fulcrum with alloy handle is the bomb. I just hit the Kinetic with no graphics it was new no swings. It has the 4500 handle swings still but hits bombs when you hit the SS. About 200 swings it really started hitting well but feels like a tank. Well see I think this one will last a long time.

basilray

Anarchy all the things!

If the Nitrous fits your bat preferences, go for it! It's not too much different than all the other Anarchy 240. There's an Anarchy pro player in my Hittrax league, and he's swinging the Nitrous right now. I haven't gotten a chance to, but that's his current pick.

As for Monsta Utrip, I briefly owned a 3XXX handle 27EL Trippin. It was fine, but I didn't think it was anything too special. Definitely wouldn't chase one, they're all over FB groups now for $150 or less. I never picked it over an Anarchy 12 before selling it off.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I ordered a Demarini midload Nautalai. I couldn't find an Anarchy for a decent price in the weight and (non)endload I want, and Monsta still hasn't released the Kinetik even though they said expected delivery was 10/2. I guess he's playing gotcha games bc he never put the year...

So, I'll swing the Nautalai for a bit before the season starts. If I like it, awesome. If not, maybe I'll be able to find an Anarchy or Monsta that will fit the bill and just bp the Nautalai. There's already a dozen bp bats in the shed, what's one more?

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
A friend gave me a Worth Steele's. It's a 1/2oz endload. 12-1/4" barrel. Anybody ever swung one?

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
A friend gave me a Worth Steele's. It's a 1/2oz endload. 12-1/4" barrel. Anybody ever swung one?

Probably very similar to a KP23. Same weighting and barrel length. That bat has been deeply discounted for over a year, and can be had for under $100. I'm sure it'll perform fine, but for some reason isn't popular.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I ordered a Demarini midload Nautalai. I couldn't find an Anarchy for a decent price in the weight and (non)endload I want, and Monsta still hasn't released the Kinetik even though they said expected delivery was 10/2. I guess he's playing gotcha games bc he never put the year...

So, I'll swing the Nautalai for a bit before the season starts. If I like it, awesome. If not, maybe I'll be able to find an Anarchy or Monsta that will fit the bill and just bp the Nautalai. There's already a dozen bp bats in the shed, what's one more?

I didn't get any more Anarchies this year either. They never really went on sale. I don't think Anarchy produced as many bats this year. Last year they had like 30 different models on sale for $99 at the same time. This year not so much.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I didn't get any more Anarchies this year either. They never really went on sale. I don't think Anarchy produced as many bats this year. Last year they had like 30 different models on sale for $99 at the same time. This year not so much.
I dont have a problem dropping $300 on a bat if I've swung one before and like it. I'm not dropping $300 on a bat which I have no clue how it'll swing. These days I feel like most of the bats guys like us would buy all perform the same, it's more about what fits your swing.

Last edited:

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I put about 50 swings on each of the Nautalai and the Steele's today off a tee with a mix of very seasoned .44 400s and .52 300s. They both swung nicely but the Nautalai was significantly better. They definitely need more swings and I'd like to see how they match up off of live pitching.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I dont have a problem dropping $300 on a bat if I've swung one before and like it. I'm not dropping $300 on a bat which I have no clue how it'll swing. These days I feel like most of the bats guys like us would buy all perform the same, it's more about what fits your swing.

I wouldn't pay $300 for ANY of todays bats. Why? Because they're all kinda junky, and have terrible durability.

Back in the days when you could get 3000 swings out of a bat $300 was more worth it. Now you're looking at well over $1 per swing.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I wouldn't pay $300 for ANY of todays bats. Why? Because they're all kinda junky, and have terrible durability.

Back in the days when you could get 3000 swings out of a bat $300 was more worth it. Now you're looking at well over $1 per swing.
You clearly swing harder than I do. A USA bat will last me a full season plus about 300-500 bp swings (and I'll let teammates use it too) before compression becomes an issue. I got 2 years out of my Fallout before it failed so maybe 1500 -2000 swings.

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
You clearly swing harder than I do. A USA bat will last me a full season plus about 300-500 bp swings (and I'll let teammates use it too) before compression becomes an issue. I got 2 years out of my Fallout before it failed so maybe 1500 -2000 swings.

ASA is a little different because they use .52 300 balls. Durability on ASA/USA bats is less of a concern for that reason.

USSSA 240 bats are more what I'm referring to. Using Pro Ms or classic Ms those bats don't last at all.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA is a little different because they use .52 300 balls. Durability on ASA/USA bats is less of a concern for that reason.

USSSA 240 bats are more what I'm referring to. Using Pro Ms or classic Ms those bats don't last at all.
Well the point of this thread was me buying my first 240 bat and not knowing what's good. Now I have 2 so I guess I'm gonna learn about what the durability issues truly are. I do know that I was swinging a teammate's Juno last season. It was at 265ish in June and failed compression in September. I don't know how many other people swung it during the week or on Sundays. I do know I was the only person that swung it on Saturdays and I never saw it take a single bp swing.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Well the point of this thread was me buying my first 240 bat and not knowing what's good. Now I have 2 so I guess I'm gonna learn about what the durability issues truly are. I do know that I was swinging a teammate's Juno last season. It was at 265ish in June and failed compression in September. I don't know how many other people swung it during the week or on Sundays. I do know I was the only person that swung it on Saturdays and I never saw it take a single bp swing.

Juno's newer bats definitely don't hold compression. Their older ones do. I bought an MR1 and MR2 when they first came out a few years ago. Both are still going strong and test at like 275.

White/yellow KP23 is another cheap 240 that holds compression well.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Juno's newer bats definitely don't hold compression. Their older ones do. I bought an MR1 and MR2 when they first came out a few years ago. Both are still going strong and test at like 275.

White/yellow KP23 is another cheap 240 that holds compression well.
The bat I was swinging was a Final Chapter. No idea how many swings were on it before I got to it and no idea how many swings were put on it when I wasn't looking. I just know it was the bat I liked the most out of the 5 or 6 I swung throughout the season though I didn't really like it very much. I know I still hate Eastons and now I hate Protons too. I'm not too keen on giving Carrucci any of my money either. I played league ball against him and umpired his son in little league. He lives up to his reputation.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
The bat I was swinging was a Final Chapter. No idea how many swings were on it before I got to it and no idea how many swings were put on it when I wasn't looking. I just know it was the bat I liked the most out of the 5 or 6 I swung throughout the season though I didn't really like it very much. I know I still hate Eastons and now I hate Protons too. I'm not too keen on giving Carrucci any of my money either. I played league ball against him and umpired his son in little league. He lives up to his reputation.

IDK what the deal is with Protons. I've never swung one, and few people I know have. Those who do didn't like them. Protons are also expensive AF.

I think that Final Chapter Juno was when they first started making the bats worse quality.

DirtBag215

IDK what the deal is with Protons. I've never swung one, and few people I know have. Those who do didn't like them. Protons are also expensive AF.

I think that Final Chapter Juno was when they first started making the bats worse quality.
I never actually seen anybody in person swing a proton but if you look online, it seems like everybody swings proton or LS

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
IMO Protons have a weird, like 'plasticky' feel to them. Did NOT like.
My teammate that swings just as hard (or soft) as I do hits his Proton well. I never successfully found the sweetspot in BP or a game. The bat didn't feel stiff or soft, just not right.

blakcherry329

You hate Eastons? They're like my favorite. I used to not like Worths too much. and Combats, except for the DB44s those were da bomb. lol

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I never actually seen anybody in person swing a proton but if you look online, it seems like everybody swings proton or LS
I saw a whole lot of them at C Worlds. Also saw a lot of them in the Conference. Helps when the owner of the company is at quite a few Conference events and I saw him walking around the complex at Worlds too.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
You hate Eastons? They're like my favorite. I used to not like Worths too much. and Combats, except for the DB44s those were da bomb. lol
Eastons always felt weird to me. Like heavy or weighted wrong or extra thick handle or all of the above. I just never liked them. Even to this day every time dry swing an Easton it feels terrible to me.

I haven't swung a combat in a decade probably. They always felt too soft. My brother had an SB98 that I kinda liked.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Eastons always felt weird to me. Like heavy or weighted wrong or extra thick handle or all of the above. I just never liked them. Even to this day every time dry swing an Easton it feels terrible to me.

I haven't swung a combat in a decade probably. They always felt too soft. My brother had an SB98 that I kinda liked.

I won't really say Eastons are any better or worse than other brands of 240s. They'll get the job done just fine. Handles don't seem that thick. As for weighting, Eastons tend to be on the endloaded side. Even some of the bats they sell that are supposed to be balanced arent.