USSSA Batter taking an out instead of hitting

osufan2k

Addicted to Softballfans
This happened last night in a coed league. My team was away team.

Bottom of the 6th inning, opposing team (home team) is up to bat and is down 14-9. There are 2 outs, and the time limit is about to expire. The clock is running down and gets to 10 seconds when a male batter enters the batting box. The team manager quickly yells to the male that he should take the out instead of hitting so the inning can end so we have to play the 7th inning. Time expires on the scoreboard while the male batter is telling the umpire that they are taking the out. The ump, not knowing what to do and never seeing this before, allows them to take the out.

We walk off the field and go into our dugout thinking the game was over due to time limit. The umpire gets out his rule book to try to see if what they did is allowed, but can't find anything. Annoyed with the whole situation (it's coed...we're there to have fun), we tell the umpire to forget about it and that we would just play the 7th inning.

As both teams are still in their dugouts, there is no time left on the clock. We play the 7th inning with no time left. They only scored one run in the bottom of the 7th... so their lame strategy didn't pay off.

So, the question for you umpires is... Can a batter choose to take an out instead of hitting? Time ran out as the batter was in the box telling the umpire he is taking the out instead of batting.

The USSSA rule book states "A batter completes a time at bat when he has either been put out or has become a base runner". There is no mention of declaring himself out instead of hitting to extend the game to another inning.

sjury

The Old Man
Would taking an out be any different then the defense intentionally walking someone? There are tons of ways to make out, step from one box to the other while the pitcher is pitching, bunt the ball to the pitcher, step out of the box or on the plate and hit the pitch, etc... I've been in some leagues where they've allowed someone to take an out to end the inning for time. The reason it's not in the book, is a complete game is 7 innings, so the book doesn't have to address this. This is more a question for the league.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Would taking an out be any different then the defense intentionally walking someone?

I've never seen it done in this case but, to counter the intentional out, I suppose the trick would be to inform the ump that you wish to walk the batter before he has a chance to employ his tactics.

I can't see using tactic unless you are about to get put out of a tournament. It's an act of desperation....like playing coed. :)

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Does USSSA not have a rule on tactics like delaying or hastening the game like ASA does.?

This is the correct answer. Now if the batter doesn't make it completely obvious that they are trying to get out to extend the game then it's very rare it would be called. Telling the umpire you wish to make an out means absolutely nothing other than telling me you don't want to play the game.

freak98guy

Place Clever Title Here
I would stand with 1 foot one foot on the plate, 1 foot outside the box and bunt the 1st pitch back to the pitcher. It would count as 3 outs IMO

cotis

Addicted to Softballfans
get a hit and carry the bat around the bases with you. instant out.

made that bonehead move trying to give my 1B coach a bat one time.

cotis

Addicted to Softballfans
I stepped on 1B and tossed the bat to the base coach so he could send it back into the dugout. dugouts were way past 1B coaching box. umpire had a hard-on and yelled YERRRR OUT!

I honestly just forgot. wasn't a malicious move but I will never make that mistake again.

cjangeloni1986

Addicted to Softballfans
Waldo8403,

I have read in ASA that you can run around the bases with a bat as well. Do you know where that rule is in the book? I play ball with a lot of umpires and they all tell me not to touch first while holding the bat. I have talked to umpires during the game as well and they said they would call me out regardless of rule so I toss is before I get to first. If they called me out could I protest the game?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
EAJuggalo,

You CAN carry the bat all the way around the bases in ASA.

I understand this but the question and every answer posted are referring to USSSA.

CJ, the better reply is to ask the umpire where in the rulebook it says you can't. Everything that is not prohibited is permitted.