Batting average?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
On-base % should be higher than batting average in most cases unless the guy never walks and hits a lot of sac flies.

In softball OBP is the best indicator IMHO.....

I had guys on the team that hit .700/.800 for a tourney, but for the entire season the team leader was .587 BA/ .593 OBP. That was over 62 games, 184 ABs, 199 PAs.

I agree completely, and for the record, I don't know that I'd have beaten that guy in OBP. I just walk more than the average softball player and want credit for it. :D

Beauner

Starting Player
You shouldn't count sac flies in softball. Even if you did, they don't count as a plate appearance for OBP.

Sac flies do count against OBP.
OBP is (total times you reached base safely)/(total plate appearances)
Sac fly counts as a plate appearance, same as a walk. They just don't count as at-bats and don't impact batting average.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
I played on a few teams where guys would want to throw $20 into a pot and the person with the highest average or most home runs took it home.....I ****ing hated it and never took part in that ****. I thought we were there to win every game, not profit.

Some people most not like competition... Sounds like you're one of them

I've done that same exact "side bet" plenty of times. What it does is make guys concentrate more, swing at good pitches, be more patient and try to actually hit productively more so than just going up to the plate without a purpose. It works bc most guys are trying to hit home runs ( like you do based upon what I've read previously from you ) and have little to no clue On how to hit when there are no home runs. It's cool that you don't trust your skills to give you a chance to win money but don't say it's stupid

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Some people most not like competition... Sounds like you're one of them

I've done that same exact "side bet" plenty of times. What it does is make guys concentrate more, swing at good pitches, be more patient and try to actually hit productively more so than just going up to the plate without a purpose. It works bc most guys are trying to hit home runs ( like you do based upon what I've read previously from you ) and have little to no clue On how to hit when there are no home runs. It's cool that you don't trust your skills to give you a chance to win money but don't say it's stupid

I don't like it because a guy may shoot for a slap single when the team needs a 3 run homer, just to protect his average.... He's making decisions based on his profit instead of what the team needs..... Also, my soul intention isn't to hit homers. It's to hit backspin liners. Home runs just hppen.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't like it because a guy may shoot for a slap single when the team needs a 3 run homer, just to protect his average.... He's making decisions based on his profit instead of what the team needs..... Also, my soul intention isn't to hit homers. It's to hit backspin liners. Home runs just hppen.

I want this on a Tee shirt. Preferably in huge yellow letters to match my pants.

RC#13

Part Time Player
I want this on a Tee shirt. Preferably in huge yellow letters to match my pants.

I know you're joking but someone needs to be on that! I am in for a 5xl(don't trip. I am 6ft 4in and weigh 230lbs. I jut like my clothes big and because I am so tall a xl-2xl fits like a halter top) and one for my son in men's xxl (still at the age where dad is cool and likes to wear is clothes big also. He is 12 yrs old...5ft 6in and 170lbs). Who else is down??

Pylon #00

Bad Mother****er
You shouldn't count sac flies in softball. Even if you did, they don't count as a plate appearance for OBP.

Everytime I hear someone say that I shake my head. I never want a guy to go to the plate with a runner at 3rd and less than 2 outs "wanting" to hit a sac fly. But he should certainly be trying to hit the ball to the outfield and staying out of a possible double play, etc.

You never know what run could win a game for you.

That being said.... I understand how to calculate BA & OBP. And as I said, OBP is usually higher than BA unless the batter doesn't walk and hits a lot of sac flies. Walks would increase OBP, sac flies lower it. Neither of them affect BA.

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans
Everytime I hear someone say that I shake my head. I never want a guy to go to the plate with a runner at 3rd and less than 2 outs "wanting" to hit a sac fly. But he should certainly be trying to hit the ball to the outfield and staying out of a possible double play, etc.

You never know what run could win a game for you.

That being said.... I understand how to calculate BA & OBP. And as I said, OBP is usually higher than BA unless the batter doesn't walk and hits a lot of sac flies. Walks would increase OBP, sac flies lower it. Neither of them affect BA.

Sacrifice flies should not be counted in softball. There is no difficulty in hitting the ball in the air, for crying out loud. A sacrifice fly makes sense where, before the play happens, you will gladly take an out to score the run ... which is almost never the case in softball.

Last edited:

Hiltz

Built for comfort

Embarrassed to admit it, but we keep accurate stats on my team. And we only score legitimate hits, not FC's or ROE's. One guy started the year and was batting .830 over a month in. He has homerun power but would get up with men on and 2 outs and slap an oppo single. Next batter would make the third out, we'd score 0 runs, and buddy would jog in with a smile on his face and say "I'm still over .800!" And that's why I hate keeping stats.

PS- I'd rather line out hard 5 times than go 5/5 with 5 bloop singles off the endcap.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
I keep very detailed stats for my tournament teams. Most guys that think they hit .700/.800 over a season are shocked to see the actual numbers at the end of the year.

I had one of the top USSSA E teams in the country this year, and didn't have one guy hit over .600 for the year.

Lol...one of the Best team based on what? That point system they have ? Comical

Beauner

Starting Player
Embarrassed to admit it, but we keep accurate stats on my team. And we only score legitimate hits, not FC's or ROE's. One guy started the year and was batting .830 over a month in. He has homerun power but would get up with men on and 2 outs and slap an oppo single. Next batter would make the third out, we'd score 0 runs, and buddy would jog in with a smile on his face and say "I'm still over .800!" And that's why I hate keeping stats.

PS- I'd rather line out hard 5 times than go 5/5 with 5 bloop singles off the endcap.

We have a couple guys who would rather hit solo home runs or basically solo (runner on 3B and nobody out) than hit a single because they want to show how big their **** is and lead the team in HRs. It is so frickin annoying. Our HRs are almost ALWAYS used by the end of the 2nd inning. For sure by the 3rd.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

How are you better than that guy? Quite frankly, he's light years ahead of you. It's not his fault the guy behind him made an out. You'd rather make 5 outs than take 5 singles. You're way more selfish than a guy hitting singles when he has "homerun power" any day. You're Wesley Snipes in White Men Can't Jump. :D

b#7

CAPN MORGAN
If you were the dude with 59 dingers and batting .769 I have a sneaking suspicion that your post might have been different. Maybe?

I'm the coach. I'm too old to worry about what my numbers are, I know what they are b/c our team has a Serious softball website that our sponsor pays for and I update. The only numbers that really truly matter to me are the wins and losses. I'm about 70 points behind the kid in avg and 50 HR's behind him.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you were the dude with 59 dingers and batting .769 I have a sneaking suspicion that your post might have been different. Maybe?

He's almost as old as I am, so I don't think it'd be much different. :D

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans
everyone thinks they stay around .700 until there are stats taken, then they just coincidentally have a bad season or two

Pylon #00

Bad Mother****er
Lol...one of the Best team based on what? That point system they have ? Comical

What is comical? I didn't mention anything about points. I said that we were one of the top teams this year.

I based that on our record, and that we won several tournaments.

I wasn't trying to brag about my teams accomplishments, I was saying that my team was very successful and didn't have anyone that was OB over .600.

Pylon #00

Bad Mother****er
How are you better than that guy? Quite frankly, he's light years ahead of you. It's not his fault the guy behind him made an out. You'd rather make 5 outs than take 5 singles. You're way more selfish than a guy hitting singles when he has "homerun power" any day. You're Wesley Snipes in White Men Can't Jump. :D

^^^^^^ This

The name of the game is getting on base.... not how hard or far you can hit it.