BBell Overhead Squat

JPritch

Addicted to Softballfans
Anybody else have problems getting deep holding a bbell above your head? Any tips for improving ROM for this movement?

I actually came across a vid of Cressey on YouTube and he was giving a lecture and had a video playing on his projector where he showed a guy not being able to go down very far. Then had him widen his feet, and he was able to go a little further. Then he had him do something else that I couldn't catch as Cressey stood in front of that part of the screen, but whatever that modification was the guy was able to go really deep. Any ideas?

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Try with hands above your head and no weight...also, and gonna get some flak for this...try the same on a bosu (whatever the name is!) ball...balance and stability.

wcoastsoftball

I have issues. but what I do is put a 12" box behind me. For some reason if I give myself that marker, I can correct my shoulders and hips, but if not, my hips lock up and it turns into a 1/4 squat.

JPritch

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the tips guys. It was the weirdest thing when I started doing them, as I have no mobility issues with regular deep squats. But throwing that bbell over my head and the whole posterior chain felt like it locked up.

DSNuts48

Badass
Thanks for the tips guys. It was the weirdest thing when I started doing them, as I have no mobility issues with regular deep squats. But throwing that bbell over my head and the whole posterior chain felt like it locked up.

I had that problem also, I would be able to do an overhead squat with just a stick but when I went to a barbell I wouldn't feel as mobilized.

NE Hitman

Addicted to Softballfans
I regularly have trouble with the first couple OH squats i do. It seems, more than any other common movement, that it takes some mental and physical muscle organization to pull it off with good form. For the first couple reps my mind is still trying to remember how to tell my body to pull it off. As I add weight and reps it gets easier (to a point). I think more than any trick, you'd just benefit from practice.

And try the Zott's Press...its frickin impossible!

TERMINATOR

Addicted to Softballfans

Improving shoulder/thoracic spine mobility/flexibility will definitely help

carter18

The Veteran
A lot of times it the hips and the arch of the back are slightly incorrect. Tighten up the core and focus on form with the weight back on heels.

chucky02

I had a hard time trying to do this. So I did it without the bar, just extending my arms upwards, and realized it was my hips and back that was the issue.