Best approach when team is underachieving/ performing

The past 2 tourneys we have struggled collectively. We tied for 5th and 7th respectively in tournaments that we were ranked in the top 3-5 in most measurable categories to begin. I don't post this to single any one member out because we all did poorly at times or could have made a play here or had a better at bat there. I was more concerned with how any of you may have addressed this with your own teams or made changes that ultimately allowed you to fulfill your potential. We have a ton of talent and have played well together before but most recently just seem to be in a funk. Any thoughts?

Try to relax and treat it as just another game. A lot of times in tournament play pressure can really hinder a players performance whether they admit it or not.

niteshadow

Addicted to Softballfans
Just have everyone relax. Another thing is make sure everyone shows up early enough that the only focus has to be on softball, not if someones gonna be there or not. It might only affect that first few innings, but that will most likely affect the rest of the tournament.

We were all really jacked up for this tourney last weekend and seemed like we were all focused and ready to play. Defense was lights out but our first game we only scored 5 runs, luckily we only gave up 1. Second game we only scored 3 runs, and again stellar defense, only gave up 6 but obviously lost. We average about 14 runs a game over the year but seems that lately we just have innings that we get stagnant. A lead off double sometimes get stranded on 2nd or 3rd because we will hit week pop ups or fly balls not deep enough to score them. I know this can happen to anyone but its happening to us too often. The thing is we all play league ball during the week and some even take BP throughout so its not like the practice or repetition isn't there. Probably just a slump or mental thing but can be frustrating

nblase1

Manager
I know its my first post, and you'll most likely disregard my input, but I agree with Superstar. Whenever I drop people in the order things seem to change. People get pissed off and wanna get their spot back, so they get their head back into it.

I know its my first post, and you'll most likely disregard my input, but I agree with Superstar. Whenever I drop people in the order things seem to change. People get pissed off and wanna get their spot back, so they get their head back into it.

I welcome any and all feedback. Welcome to the board. Thanks.

niteshadow

Addicted to Softballfans
Blow up the lineup.

Discard all assumptions regarding performance and make a new batting order.

There are some people that you can do this to, and some you cant. Know your players, and if you want them to play the best they can for you. Cater to how they like to play.

Devil Dog

You like soup?
Constantly yell at your players every inning(defensively and offensively)

On offense, constantly shout "12 HITS, I NEED 12 HITS! 12 HITS EQUATES TO 6.9 RUNS FELLAS!"

On defense, constantly shout "PLAY THE GLOVES, COME ON, PLAY THE GLOVES!"

This must be loud enough that not only will your team and the other team hear it, but all teams throughout the complex will hear it. It works every time.

StealthyGuy

Addicted to Softballfans
With our tourney team, we have to keep it fun...start makin embarassing bets and just keep the mood upbeat. When the team gets down we start forcing plays and hits. like others said relax! Have some fun and always pick up the team when things start turning.

banny

late bloomer
Someone answer this for me. How is there any more "pressure" in a league game than a tournament? Seriously. Is it a cash prize at the end of the rainbow? Is it the fact that your sponser won't continue to put up money for you to travel and play unless you win games consistently? If that's the case, I guess you're just not at that talent level. I have to laugh when guys say that league ball is a joke, or is just practice for tournaments, but when a guy complains about feeling pressure in tournaments, those same guys say, "just relax and have fun with it."

Someone answer this for me. How is there any more "pressure" in a league game than a tournament? Seriously. Is it a cash prize at the end of the rainbow? Is it the fact that your sponser won't continue to put up money for you to travel and play unless you win games consistently? If that's the case, I guess you're just not at that talent level. I have to laugh when guys say that league ball is a joke, or is just practice for tournaments, but when a guy complains about feeling pressure in tournaments, those same guys say, "just relax and have fun with it."

The "pressure" aspect can exist in either league or tournament play. I would say tournaments obviously have quite a few games in a short period of time over 1-2 days usually and yes the prize package can be quite a bit more enticing than whatever you may receive for winning a league or league tournament. However, "pressure" can always be self-imposed or inflicted too and sometimes more pressure is placed on the individual player or team by the players on the team themselves, more so than whatever the situation may dictate.

whogotz

dilligaf?
With our tourney team, we have to keep it fun...start makin embarassing bets and just keep the mood upbeat. When the team gets down we start forcing plays and hits. like others said relax! Have some fun and always pick up the team when things start turning.

yes to this. i've been known to offer a case of dos equis if we go through the lineup in our half. a few times it came down to the last guy and he choked.

banny

late bloomer
The "pressure" aspect can exist in either league or tournament play. I would say tournaments obviously have quite a few games in a short period of time over 1-2 days usually and yes the prize package can be quite a bit more enticing than whatever you may receive for winning a league or league tournament. However, "pressure" can always be self-imposed or inflicted too and sometimes more pressure is placed on the individual player or team by the players on the team themselves, more so than whatever the situation may dictate.

Your answer is what I was driving at. It's nice to see a higher level player say this on here.

Your answer is what I was driving at. It's nice to see a higher level player say this on here.

I totally understand. We have a player on our team that probably is our best all around talent. Fast, super strong arm in the outfield, hits lasers, etc. Unfortunately, he's become such a head case, that he gets rattled very easily. He's been in a hitting funk for awhile. Hit 2 inning ending, offensive ejection HRs in the span of 2 tourneys and hasn't been the same since. I think its all mental because when he has his mind straight, he's our best player in every area. I hope he can figure it out because we desperately need him to if we are going to succeed.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Start a penalty fee jar and everyone that makes an out puts in a dollar and an error costs 5. Now the money goes to a fat hooker and the player(s) that had the worst tournament takes her home and gets to think about how he just had the luxury of a $63 (3 games X 7 innings = 63 outs) thrill ride. In case of a tie, the players get to tag team. The only way to avoid this fate is to place at least 3rd in the tourney.

buddyk78

PAN #5
Its been mentioned before in this thread but i want to back up the idea.

My team got on a roll about 6 or 7 weekends ago and won 3 straight tournys. We got into a major funk after that .. cant tell you what happened other than pressure to perform and continue to do well. Well this past weekend we started out losing both pool play games and our first of a double elim tourny. At that point one of the core players scratched the line up and we ended up pulling names out of a hat to see who hit where. Worked wonders. We all said to hell with the caring and lets get back to having fun. Had our lead off and 3 hole hitter hitting 10 and 11. We rolled off 3 straight wins, two of which were 15 run rule. We didnt lose another game that day... started raining and games were flipped for and we took 4th i think. Prob could have made a deep run because those 3 games had us on a major high and we were having a blast.

Give it a shot. Dont keep averages, use some crazy idea on how to set your lineup so its completely random... just whatever it takes to take the pressure off.

Edit: Even a few of the umpires commented on how relaxed and loose we looked.. said it was good to see us back to playing softball. Crazy how much this game gets in peoples heads.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I'm sure we will figure it out but it can be frustrating knowing that we are not achieving the level of success that we should be. It would feel much different if we got to a certain point and were as good as we were going to get. But with the talent we have and the way we played for a consistent few months throughout the spring and early summer, there is no reason for what is happening now.