Best ASA Miken

zonk55

Addicted to Softballfans
Not all 44/375s are =. The SB12 is a 44/375; and, is a turd of a ball. I also have success with the Velo-max with 52/300 balls. There are several brands of 44s that are good.
Thunder Advance, X rocks, Evils, Trump Stotes, Badens to name a few. These are usually affected by temperature, with 70*F being ideal. A one degree swing will add/subtract ~ five pounds of compression. Thus, at 50*F, a 375 ball will have a comp of ~ 475. And will fly further.......opposite in the heat. The 52/300 balls are not as adversely affected by the temp swings. Another benefit of the 52s is they do not do as much damage as the 44s when a player is hit by a ball. Dgamb is correct though, most high end bats will hit quality 44/375s well. You have to find what bat best suits you.

gharri30

The Rookie
Not all 44/375s are =. The SB12 is a 44/375; and, is a turd of a ball. I also have success with the Velo-max with 52/300 balls. There are several brands of 44s that are good.
Thunder Advance, X rocks, Evils, Trump Stotes, Badens to name a few. These are usually affected by temperature, with 70*F being ideal. A one degree swing will add/subtract ~ five pounds of compression. Thus, at 50*F, a 375 ball will have a comp of ~ 475. And will fly further.......opposite in the heat. The 52/300 balls are not as adversely affected by the temp swings. Another benefit of the 52s is they do not do as much damage as the 44s when a player is hit by a ball. Dgamb is correct though, most high end bats will hit quality 44/375s well. You have to find what bat best suits you.

Good stuf, thanks. Just about everything we hit are the X rocks. So as long as I don't get a cheap bat I should be ok?

zonk55

Addicted to Softballfans
Not necessarily on the cheap bats. There are bros on here that offer good deals on used quality bats. Look in the sales forum under each mfg. Or, put a post in yourself in the buying section. Just a matter of what brand, endload or balanced, barrel length, soft or hard barrel, one or two piece, comp or metal, etc. Whatever couple of bats that you used with success and felt good, is what I would try to get.

lamsw

Addicted to Softballfans
What makes them so hitable? Not familiar with what the different cores and compressions mean.

COR is Coefficient of Restitution. It's how much energy is rebounded. COR 44 means 44% of the energy is returned. COR 52 means 52% of the energy is returned. So higher COR means they bounce more.

Compression is how many pounds of pressure it takes to push the ball in 1/4 inch. Higher compression is a harder ball.

Harder balls take better advantage of well-broken-in composite bats because the trampoline action of the composite bat will do almost all of the work in launching the ball.

Right now, ASA is trying to transition from the 44/375 to the 52/300 ball but has not mandated that everyone must use the 52/300 (the decision is left to whoever runs the league or tournament). The speculation is that the 52/300 will be mandatory next year, but we won't know until ASA meets at the end of this year.

If I were to buy a new bat right now, I would get the Easton SP12SV98 because it's hot out of the wrapper, under $200, and you have 2 returns within 400 days if you break it.

lamsw

Addicted to Softballfans

Yeah, for the 44/375's I've used the Evils, XRocks, and Tattoos which are all very good in the heat. Stay away from the SB12 and Worth Super Gold Dots. Dudley Thunder Heat is not bad if you don't have time to order online and you have to buy from a big box store.

Thunder Advance are better than all other 44/375's, but are also on the ASA banned list (your league may choose to ignore the list though).

gharri30

The Rookie
Not necessarily on the cheap bats. There are bros on here that offer good deals on used quality bats. Look in the sales forum under each mfg. Or, put a post in yourself in the buying section. Just a matter of what brand, endload or balanced, barrel length, soft or hard barrel, one or two piece, comp or metal, etc. Whatever couple of bats that you used with success and felt good, is what I would try to get.

Didn't mean cheap as in a good deal, just ment a low quality bat.

zonk55

Addicted to Softballfans
Understood. Lots of good info. provided for you. In general, on the 52/300 balls, I have been hitting them since 2009, end-loaded....stiff walled....heavier bats work best.

bmurph

Addicted to Softballfans
some good info here. to sum it up, if you get an nrg, recoil, 484, or freak98 then you got yourself a good bat. imo there is no need to buy any of them new, they take forever to break in and also have great durability.

gharri30

The Rookie
Good stuff. Thanks a lot. I've been on a few forms (mainly car and truck) where no one wants to help they just want to show off what they have.

zonk55

Addicted to Softballfans
I can help a little. 454 = Post ABI Worth bat quicker break in, not as durable. 484 = Pre ABI Miken, long break in very durable. I have not hit these bats.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Freak98 will be your safest bet unless you know what kind of bat you like to swing.

• 484: too balanced for me, started to loosen up and hit ok but I traded it before any super hot crazy amazing stage. Went from swamp log to softer swamp log
  • Freak98: slight endload, huge sweetspot, gamer is webbed and hit right with my 07' F+, backup has no webbing and ~5-10' better than best post-abi's I've swung. Went from swamp log to soft but snappy
  • Recoil ML: definite endload, big sweetspot (from E to L on barrel), gone through several stages of opening up, finally starting started sounding good. Slight advantage over my backup f98, probably cause I like the way it swings. Went from stiff to stiff and snappy
  • NRG ML: swung with the most endload for me, huge sweetspot, hit with my backup f98 and recoil. Felt like a wood bat and went to soft.

*The information provided above is purely scientific, factual, and in no way based on personal opinion....

gharri30

The Rookie
Freak98 will be your safest bet unless you know what kind of bat you like to swing.

• 484: too balanced for me, started to loosen up and hit ok but I traded it before any super hot crazy amazing stage. Went from swamp log to softer swamp log
  • Freak98: slight endload, huge sweetspot, gamer is webbed and hit right with my 07' F+, backup has no webbing and ~5-10' better than best post-abi's I've swung. Went from swamp log to soft but snappy
  • Recoil ML: definite endload, big sweetspot (from E to L on barrel), gone through several stages of opening up, finally starting started sounding good. Slight advantage over my backup f98, probably cause I like the way it swings. Went from stiff to stiff and snappy
  • NRG ML: swung with the most endload for me, huge sweetspot, hit with my backup f98 and recoil. Felt like a wood bat and went to soft.

*The information provided above is purely scientific, factual, and in no way based on personal opinion....

Still good info though. Anything helps me out.

bomboi

Addicted to Softballfans
go get ur self a recoil 250...they will crush any ball and u will thank me later
picture.php

^^^^^one of these^^^^^

gharri30

The Rookie
Ok I finally got confirmation that we don't have to use ASA bats, we can use USSSA as well. As long as its not ultra 2, titanium or a senior league bat. So how does this change my options?

RadCon10

Hibernating Up North
Ok I finally got confirmation that we don't have to use ASA bats, we can use USSSA as well. As long as its not ultra 2, titanium or a senior league bat. So how does this change my options?

The ASA bat's aren't bad, but I would look at a USSSA bat if you can swing them. If you want to use Miken then you have many many great options for USSSA bats.

lsdman2k1

The Veteran
mafia takes the post abi crown. the new mafias are nasty. just bought my 27.5 a week ago and its approaching my mutjh right out of the wrapper! seriously guys, this is the bat of the year. people need to look into these.

lsdman2k1

The Veteran
the utrip mafias are alot like the mv1's, the guys i bp'd with actually favored the mafia over the mv1 too.

OtejunK

Art Work Junky
two pages for an OP that has has no idea HOW TO SEARCH THIS WEBSITE!!!!

Good grief, there is helping, then there is regurgitating the same info over and over because someone is to lazy to search...

there I said it... :p sorry... but really??? needing pictures posted FOR him?????... oh good grief... lol

gharri30

The Rookie
two pages for an OP that has has no idea HOW TO SEARCH THIS WEBSITE!!!!

Good grief, there is helping, then there is regurgitating the same info over and over because someone is to lazy to search...

there I said it... :p sorry... but really??? needing pictures posted FOR him?????... oh good grief... lol

Yea I do need pictures when I don't know what's what. I need to be sure of what I'm looking at when y'all are talking about 1st batches, 2nd batches..etc. so go be a jackass somewhere else...there I said it.

OtejunK

Art Work Junky
lol - wow, guess I was told :rolleyes: - look sparky, you click Search and type in the bat name and it will pull up TONS of pics for you..... try it some time, you might actaully be able to do that on your own.....

There are 10's of thousands of posts about bats up here.... and at least 100 threads about ASA bats and what ASA bat is the best ASA bat... ... asking a group to post picks for you is lazy... I get you know nothing about bats, glad you said that.. but come on....

There is a huge difference between trying to get help (asking about bat vs bat or price checks) and asking what does this bat or that bat look like .... think about it... spoon feeding isnt needed up here, there are pleanty of threads, all you have to do is look...

eabecker

Bat Huer
lol - wow, guess I was told :rolleyes: - look sparky, you click Search and type in the bat name and it will pull up TONS of pics for you..... try it some time, you might actaully be able to do that on your own.....

There are 10's of thousands of posts about bats up here.... and at least 100 threads about ASA bats and what ASA bat is the best ASA bat... ... asking a group to post picks for you is lazy... I get you know nothing about bats, glad you said that.. but come on....

There is a huge difference between trying to get help (asking about bat vs bat or price checks) and asking what does this bat or that bat look like .... think about it... spoon feeding isnt needed up here, there are pleanty of threads, all you have to do is look...

What is this 'Search' button you speak of?

Could you post a picture of it so I know what I'm looking for? :)