Best USSSA bat for ASA 44/375 ball

tbarb

Just joined a town rec slow pitch league and saw they use 44cor/375comp ASA balls. I think this is a prior approved ASA ball. All balls are marked as such with ASA stamp and the cor/comp ratings. This league also polices bats allowed which must be 1.20bpf stamped USSSA approved bats. I have no idea it this is unusual or not as I have been playing only a few years now and only recently turned to understanding equipment better. I am going to pull the trigger on a new bat soon (had picked the USSSA Miken Psycho due to another league), but now wonder how this USSSA bat will perform with the ASA 44/375 balls they use. I have read ASA changed to a 52/300 ball a few years ago and bats were quickly re-engineered for it by the mfg's. USSSA has a ball somewhere around the 47/325 or so and would be as close as balls get now to this ASA ball I think; and I think both of these balls would be in the middle of the road as to compression which I have rea is the larger determining factor to performance, but have no clue about the bats. Thinking a stiffer bat works better on a softer ball as you don't want a soft ball for a soft ball if you want a good pop. So my question is how do you think the USSSA Psycho bats will work with the ball vrs an ASA Psycho of the same load?

Also do you think (by the numbers in theory - not necessarily your perceived experience), what other USSSA bats might be chosen if you were trying to maximize performance with this ball? The reason I ask this as well is if all USSSA major brand bats are close to 1.20bpf then why do they perform so differently? (I mean for an apples to apples comparison like the same weight and same load vrs each other.)

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Easton is probably the only company that still makes a bat that won't break within 100 swings hitting .44 375s. Any bat made in the last 15 years will hit these balls well.

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
pick your poison man. Any bat coming out anymore is going to hit the crap out of then ball. It's basically just preference on feel. Longevity is another question in itself.

Hiltz

Built for comfort

That pretty much closes the discussion. Your Psycho will hit the snot out of .44/375's but it won't last. Utrip Eastons won't be far behind performance-wise with harder balls, but they'll be breaking in and getting better while other bats will just be breaking.

Also do you think (by the numbers in theory - not necessarily your perceived experience), what other USSSA bats might be chosen if you were trying to maximize performance with this ball? The reason I ask this as well is if all USSSA major brand bats are close to 1.20bpf then why do they perform so differently? (I mean for an apples to apples comparison like the same weight and same load vrs each other.)

All USSSA bats have to adhere to the same standard, but that doesn't mean that they're all close to each other in performance. Especially fresh out of the wrapper. New Worth/Mikens are pretty much redlining when they're new, then they break early or fail compression before they surpass the standard (supposedly). Most Eastons are nowhere near the upper end of the performance standard when new, break-in and get better very slowly, then perform well for a long time before they break. The lifecycle will be accelerated with harder balls.