Best way to deal w/ sitting an extra guy?

agonzales1981

Extra Hitter
We have 12 guys on the team. What is the most fair way to sit a guy, some kind of rotation, alphabetical order? I don't mind being the DH so I need a fair way to rotate a guy to sit when everyone shows up. How does your team do it?

agonzales1981

Extra Hitter
Thats the thing though I don't want to single one or two guys out, this isn't a competitive league, it's a rec league and we are all just a bunch of friends that look forward to every wednesday night. Now granted we are a pretty good team, but I want everyone to have a fair shake. Should I just go down the lineup alphabetical order?

Mike Bradley

Addicted to Softballfans
then put your strongest guys at the critical postions (ss, 3b and lf or lcf) rotate everyone else. by keepinh your strong guys at those positions, you wont give up alot of hits on balls that should be fielded.

Akij987

then put your strongest guys at the critical postions (ss, 3b and lf or lcf) rotate everyone else. by keepinh your strong guys at those positions, you wont give up alot of hits on balls that should be fielded.

That's pretty much the best way.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
You have to pick your must play guys. Rotate out the others. I'm pushing for our league, which follows ASA rules to the letter, to allow every team to bat everyone. Could batting 12 be that much of an advantage?

Im Gloving It

Next on hitlist.
You have to pick your must play guys. Rotate out the others. I'm pushing for our league, which follows ASA rules to the letter, to allow every team to bat everyone. Could batting 12 be that much of an advantage?

more like disadvantage. Youre keeping your good guys from getting an extra atbat or 2.

daddyfrank

Addicted to Softballfans
During league ball just bat them all unless one of them is just terrible. In that case just bat 11 and rotate the 2 most sucky hitters. In tourneys bat 11 and if you get near the championship game drop down to your best 10 and there should be no bitchin' from anyone.

U

USMChris1984

if your TEAM is in it just for fun, rotate them around between catcher and right field. if your up enough, maybe even other positions. but if your TEAM is trying to win, then worst guys sit. MAYBE rotate catcher but that is about it.

agonzales1981

Extra Hitter
We are serious about winning, of course we want to win, but it's more like a bunch of friends getting together. It's a rec league even though a lot of teams that play in the league play tourney ball. Usually someone will not be there so I don't mind just being the dh, but I hate being mr. bad guy when 12 show...lol

U

USMChris1984

if people dont mind then just play whoever, but if you guys start to really win the league and what not, or decide you wanna play tourny ball, best guys at the best positions. and sometimes that means that the guy who loves playing SS ends up at 3rd or 2nd, whatever is best for the team. if they dont get that then they arent good for the team. sounds like your running it fine right now though

vtw8lftr

Tight But Whole
Something else to think about is consistency... I know for myself it is hard to get into a game if I am constantly switching innings on D... I personally prefer playing 3-5 innings in a row and then subbing out for someone else to play.

Since this is just for fun and league you need to be fair about it and just make sure everyone rotates in the same amount and be up front with everyone. If you wind up sitting the same guys every game it’s not fair to them and I won’t blame them if they quit. But I’m sure they’d be fine sitting as long as everyone is treated equally. Plus you need to remember that your weaker players are only going to get better by playing, sitting the bench will not help them get experience and improve. Just keep track of it somehow in the book and rotate them out based on who’s there week to week. Like I said, as long as it’s a fair system and you explain it to the team everyone should be cool with it and if they’re not it’s their issue and not your so don’t worry about it. Also, if you make the play-offs or in important games I see no reason why you can’t sit your weaker players as long as you are upfront with them and cool about it.

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
Yeah, it's rec level, let everyone play. Our co-ed rec team plays everyone. And although I could easily think of a few changes that would greatly help our chances of winning, at the level of "seriousness" we're at, its not worth micro-managing and hurting someone's feelings. It's also not MY team. They asked me to join them. And as much as I'd like to turn up the intensity, and rotate people into different positions or onto the bench, I'd rather wait and get onto a more serious team for that.

xethicx

Addicted to Softballfans
We have a big team, sometimes just enough to play and sometimes we have 4-5 bench players. We just do it fairly so everyone gets their share of full and half games.

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
tell them they suck, and you'll try and get them in at catcher sometime...

Awesome. I'd do the same. That way if they quit because you're mean, then you won't have to worry about rotating. Problem solved... or something.

boonebigdog

Addicted to Softballfans
If your team has more than one guy who can play important positions, like P, SS, 3rd, L and LC then set up a rotation where everyone sits out one game. That way everyone plays and sits the same amount. I have done this in the past and it works fine. If someone knows they will miss a game and they tell you ahead of time, then that can be their sit game.I try to get the sitting guy to come and coach bases or run for someone and if a guy no shows or let's me know at the last minute he can't be there, then the scheduled sitter gets to play.

Pronk17

Addicted to Softballfans
If its just for fun and the guys are all pretty close in skill just make everyone sit once before anyone sits twice

elicarter

I have three guys do a rotation in the OF. The rule is no player sits two in a row. If your team is good sports they will start sitting themselves to let the others play.

softballz

Cleanup Hitter
Our team in mens league was very good, so I batted twelve against lesser teams so everyone could play. Against good teams I batted ten or eleven and rotated people in at catcher or rf.