Best way to reattach a bat knob?

YaggleberryFinn

Part Time Player
This is the first time this has ever happened to me and my team. I have several DeMarini Juggernauts, and recently my 2022 bat had the knob pop off. I searched this forum for ideas on how to best reattach it. I tried a 3m marine 5200 sealant and that didn’t work. (It also dried very rubbery, making me wonder if I even had the right product.) I tried some Gorilla glue from Walmart and that felt solid but didn’t last through one round of batting practice. The good thing about those two failed attempts is that they have cleaned up pretty well and I feel like there’s still hope.

A teammate suggests JB Weld. I’m concerned that if that does NOT work, it will not clean up and the bat will be ruined. My team loves the bat and would like to see it back in our rotation.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

arther itis

payin' to get paid
Call a custom bat business to see what they'd recommend. If they can make bats with custom weighting then maybe they can fix your bat.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
Contact demarini customer service, yes the bat is out of warranty, but I’ve had endcaps come out beyond warranty and they have repaired them, now it’s been some time since then, but their customer service was great, maybe they can help you with the knob

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^ this would have been best option, unfortunately since op has tried reattaching it demarini cs probably won't mess with it. I must agree tho that in the past they have been second to none within their cs department. I have also sent a couple bats back in the past that were well beyond warranty and they gladly reinserted an end cap on one of my og white steels also replace a cap on one of my og juggys at no charge. It has been a while, but I wouldn't hesitate to ask them if I had a similar issue. Worse they can say is no.

Last edited:

arther itis

payin' to get paid
Call DeMarini customer service to see what they say/recommend. If they can't help you then call a custom bat business.

Please let us know if you're able to get this resolved.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Doesn't demarini bats' knob has a pin to hold the knob in place?
Yes.
The bat does have a hole for a pin, but the knob doesn’t reach that far. 🤷‍♂️
Sounds like a manufacturing error. So as mentioned above call demarini custom service explain what you have and perhaps they hook you up. It's tuff getting past the initial cs reps, I think I have the direct number to the factory and would always ask for Michelle, I believe that is here name. She has always been very cordial with me but as I stated it has been quite some time since I've had to deal with D cs.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Drill a hole through the knob and into the handle of the bat. Use a coarse thread screw of some type and reattach the knob that way. Cover the knob with tape so you can't see the screw head.

I've done this before. It isn't any sort of perfect solution, but it'll usually work.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
This is the first time this has ever happened to me and my team. I have several DeMarini Juggernauts, and recently my 2022 bat had the knob pop off. I searched this forum for ideas on how to best reattach it. I tried a 3m marine 5200 sealant and that didn’t work. (It also dried very rubbery, making me wonder if I even had the right product.) I tried some Gorilla glue from Walmart and that felt solid but didn’t last through one round of batting practice. The good thing about those two failed attempts is that they have cleaned up pretty well and I feel like there’s still hope.

A teammate suggests JB Weld. I’m concerned that if that does NOT work, it will not clean up and the bat will be ruined. My team loves the bat and would like to see it back in our rotation.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Call DeMarini and see if they will help you. If they won't, you're out of luck. Do not under any circumstances try to fix it yourself and use it in a sanctioned game. It is an immediate two year ban for swinging an altered bat if you do.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Call DeMarini and see if they will help you. If they won't, you're out of luck. Do not under any circumstances try to fix it yourself and use it in a sanctioned game. It is an immediate two year ban for swinging an altered bat if you do.
Only if you get caught. People think.. and for the most part is true, who's going to know other than me. Until something happens during a game and equipment get confiscated.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Only if you get caught. People think.. and for the most part is true, who's going to know other than me. Until something happens during a game and equipment get confiscated.

I agree that a bat that has been self-repaired should never be swung in a game. However, I see it done all the time. Mainly end caps being glued back in. I don't think most people care or understand the ramifications of being caught with altered equipment.

I screwed a knob back on a broken Demarini one time, but I don't use the bat in games. BP only.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree that a bat that has been self-repaired should never be swung in a game. However, I see it done all the time. Mainly end caps being glued back in. I don't think most people care or understand the ramifications of being caught with altered equipment.

I screwed a knob back on a broken Demarini one time, but I don't use the bat in games. BP only.
Agreed especially the young guys, they don't think gluing and endcap back in is (tampering) and consider modification but yo live and hopefully learn if you do happen to find yourself in a bad situation with using altered equipment.
As stated above, demarini is the only manufacturer that would and perhaps still will fix a faulty endcap or knob even if warranty has expired. I've done it on a few occasions in the past, the only time they didn't do a repair for me is the time I had a bat with a broken end cap and they simply didn't have anymore of that particular cap, I believe it was an og juggy or something like that.