Big dudes/power hitters....durable bats??

bats2577

Getting back in the game after about a 5 year layoff. Played alot of golf which is so frusturating and exspensive. But anyway im back in to slow pitch and doing alot of research at the same time. I am 6'3 275lbs and try to hit a hard line drive every at bat, if it goes out great and if not thats fine too. Anyway, the league we are playing in is a small town beer league which is alot of fun. There are no rules on bats at all. You will see u2s, og freaks, a little bit of everything. So i bought a new u2 for the season. And it broke after 2 games at the top of the handle. I was new to all of the new bats and didnt do enough research on durability. Sooooo here is where i am at. I am wanting to not waste any money on breaking bats every other game and was wondering what you other big guys out there hit that has been somewhat durable for you. We dont have any regulations but i do like to play some asa and usssa tournaments a cpl times a year. I love the feel of the u2 and its light balanced weight. Not a big fan of endloaded bats or really stiff feeling bats. Any advice would be great on what everyone has used that was hot and durable at the same time. I dont care if it is altered in any way either i just want to learn what combo works for the best of both worlds. Thanks guys and lovin this board

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Get an ASA green Clown Catty, or even better, a utrip yellow Catty. Can't hardly break them unless you're hitting the handle or endcap every time. Stupid hot after about 1500-2000 hits.

I'm 6'1" and 225, and my Flex has been extremely durable. Gave it about 1000 whacks with a weighted ball to break it in. At least 5 guys use it for at least 2 games a week, and not a sign of webbing or cracking.

OG Flex would be better, mine's a 2008, but best to wait and see what ASA does with it.

Word to the wise, try to get a bat with less than 300 advertised hits. Then take a weighted ball to it, hitting it evenly along the barrel all the way around. Helps break it in better, and maybe avoid breaking the bat cuz ur breaking it in evenly.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Get an ASA green Clown Catty, or even better, a utrip yellow Catty. Can't hardly break them unless you're hitting the handle or endcap every time. Stupid hot after about 1500-2000 hits.

I'm 6'1" and 225, and my Flex has been extremely durable. Gave it about 1000 whacks with a weighted ball to break it in. At least 5 guys use it for at least 2 games a week, and not a sign of webbing or cracking.

OG Flex would be better, mine's a 2008, but best to wait and see what ASA does with it.

Word to the wise, try to get a bat with less than 300 advertised hits. Then take a weighted ball to it, hitting it evenly along the barrel all the way around. Helps break it in better, and maybe avoid breaking the bat cuz ur breaking it in evenly.

i 2nd the ASA Catty as well...

bats2577

I wish there was a bat demo where i am at. Hard to know how these feel to swing. Thanks for the replies guys. If i can ill buy a used bat on here from somebody. Ive only swung mikens and eastons so its hard to know. Getting confusing lol

Jusrah99

i think you should think about what you'd prefer to swing first then go from there... 1 or 2 piece? Would you like a balanced bat or endload?
As far as my tanks go, the OG Flex's and Ext in my sig feel pretty balanced to me, the ext does feel a tad bit endloaded, but not too much. The ASA catty has a little more endload than both of the eastons IMO, but i love all 3. There are a lot of good deals on here right now for OG Flex's and ASA Catty's....hope this helps bro...good luck man...

bats2577

Ive swung a flex and extended, but both felt stiff to me. It looks like on the reviews ive seen that these 2 bats are the hottest, most durable sticks out there. But i have to trust it in my hands, ya know. It has to feel right from the get go. The u2 felt perfect before i even hit a ball with it. Would you guys know how the og freak is compared to the new u2s? How much more durable do you think those would be? Ive held one of those but never hit one. Maybe im a miken guy? who knows i just dont want to keep blowing money on broken bats

Jusrah99

I'm almost 100% positive that those bats you swung weren't close to being broken in. The OG eastons take a while to break in, but you won't be disappointed when it does. I almost gave up on my Extended. Then i read on here about the break in time, now it's one of my gamers...put about 900 hits on it, and it's webbed all over, but it's super hott, i have a 27 flex that's hott right now, and a 28 that's in really nice condition that's getting ready to be another gamer. I put about 600 hits on my 28 so far and it's startin to web up...

:rolleyes: he said he is a big guy/power hitter. Lol at miken for durability.

Buy a used Easton Synergy+ SCX23, you can get one here in the classifieds for $100 and it will last 5000 hits.

i forgot that you said there's not bat restriction where you play, you might be able to get an Easton Utrip tank...but i don't have too much experience swinging Utrip bats...

killer mike

Addicted to Softballfans
Im 6' 2" 270 and I have been swinging my recoil (bal.) for years. I even swing in winter time and its still durable, and when broken in, its not super stiff at all. If you find one at reasonable price I would recommend that one for you.

mustafa

The Great Fatbino
You want a bat that's durable but you don't want it to be stiff? That's not going to work out too well for you.

ol'ballcoach

Creepy Ass Cracka
Except for some older ASA mikens like the OG freak 98, 454, etc, I've never had a Miken last until I would call it durable. I broke a Freak DST in 200 swings last year hitting 44/375 evils. My league team goes through Psychos and Mv1's like they are candy. They are hot, but don't last.

shipe35

Addicted to Softballfans
Not trying to label you but is your team rolling or shaving there bats? Unless these are not OG psychos and mv1s these are some of the most durable bats on the market.

Steve2517

Addicted to Softballfans
I love my antivirus. Mine is one with an endload(fl) Maybe get a balanced one ? It's a tank. I've swung it in games at 42". Stiff feeling handle but soft barrel. Have a descent amount of swings on it and it shows no signs of slowing down. Great bat. Combat Og antivirus. They do swing heavier then stickered in the endloaded version, not sure of balance one and it is Asa approved. Good luck.

ol'ballcoach

Creepy Ass Cracka
Not trying to label you but is your team rolling or shaving there bats? Unless these are not OG psychos and mv1s these are some of the most durable bats on the market.

Nope, we are actually one of the last holdouts on the shaving issue. But we have a few real mashers, myself included, I add humbly. We hit ISA EVILS in league and 525s in some tourneys. Mv1 is one of Miken's best ever for distance, but we've broken 3 I think in the last two seasons.

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
I say get a low serial number freak +. Similar to a u2 in swing as ive swung &have both.

Last edited:

Robby123

If you can hit a 12" barrel well, the Demarini J2U is a tank and gets awesome hot. Good bat outta the wrapper and only gets better. It will differ from your U2 in thats its slightly endloaded and more flexy. Maybe not what your looking for but its what I think of when somebody says they want a softer feeling bat that is durable.

bats2577

How much distance would you say there is between the og ultra 2s and the og freaks? 50 feet? i heard the og freaks are a lot more durable than the u2s

djh88stang

The Veteran
If you think you like mikens I agree with freak+....I've owned freak+, freak98 and super freak and have hit others like mv1,freak fx700 and freak dst IMO freak+ out hits them all.....or get an extended or flex and out hit them all!

Adamal24

Never Settle™
If you think you like mikens I agree with freak+....I've owned freak+, freak98 and super freak and have hit others like mv1,freak fx700 and freak dst IMO freak+ out hits them all.....or get an extended or flex and out hit them all!

so you are saying a flex and extended out hits an mv1 and freak+ :confused:

TDW13

Come At Me Bro!
I'm a pretty big hitter and fairly big guy. I break bats often and I'm akways out there trying new bats. I'd say if you're wanting a bat that is durable and give you good performance then I'd suggest looking at OG Freak, OG CNT +, Miken NRG 600, OG Miken Maniac, OG 2009 Worth Titan or OG 2009 Jeff Hall Titan, OG Psycho Balanced, OG MV1 Balanced. The older Miken and Eastons have been known to last thousands of swings and get super hot once fully broken in. Ive swung my OG Psychos for 2000 swings or more and they get absolutely nasty once broken in. The MV1 is the same way. You do have to make sure you go with a Psycho or MV1 with a 08 or 09 serial. The 00, 11, and 12 serials broke a lot quicker for me. Id say less than 1000 swings but were still hot. I'm sure there are a lot of other options out there. This is just some info based on what I've swung.

Darracq

If you can hit a 12" barrel well, the Demarini J2U is a tank and gets awesome hot. Good bat outta the wrapper and only gets better. It will differ from your U2 in thats its slightly endloaded and more flexy. Maybe not what your looking for but its what I think of when somebody says they want a softer feeling bat that is durable.

I agree with this, I have about 1100 swings on mine, and i was breaking everything else in under 500 and its i probably hotter than any of them now, or real close, it has a soft barrell feel, swings a little light so go up an oz.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
so you are saying a flex and extended out hits an mv1 and freak+ :confused:

obamam-crazy-talk.jpg