ASA Black edge area of home plate

tscs000

In ASA, is a pitched ball that hits the black edge portion of the plate supposed to be called a ball or strike?

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Shape of the ball and the angle the ball is coming in it would be pretty much impossible for the ball to just hit the black without hitting the white part as well.

pob14

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA's official training is that, for ALL purposes, any visible black is part of the plate.

It depends on where you get your intrepetation from. Under "Playing field", the plate is described as Home plate shall be made of rubber or other suitable material. It shall be a five-sided figure, 17 inches wide across the edge facing the pitcher’s plate. The sides shall be parallel to the inside lines of the batter’s box and shall be 8 1/2 inches long. The sides of the point facing the catcher shall be 12 inches long.

But under "Dimension Table" in the same section of the book it lists Home Plate as: 17” wide, sides parallel to the batter’s box line
and are 8 ½” long, sides of the point facing the catcher are 12” long. The width of the black edge is ¾”

It doesn't say specifically that the black edge is part of the plate, but you could make that assumption because it's listed in the dimension of it.

Most hardball and softball organizations just list the plate as a two-dimensional object that's 17" wide. Why ASA lists the edge in one area and not in the other is a mystery and confuses the point as to whether the edge is part of the plate or not.

Whether it's possible a pitched ball can only touch the black edge and make no contact with the traditional "plate" will take quite a long experiment to determine.....

tscs000

Shape of the ball and the angle the ball is coming in it would be pretty much impossible for the ball to just hit the black without hitting the white part as well.

A ump the other night called a ball a strike, saying it hit the black edge of the plate. All it says in the ASA rule book, is any pitched ball that hits the plate and is not swung at by the batter is a ball. It does not mention the black edge.

sjury

The Old Man
rhound is right. The shape of the ball coming down on the plate, it is not possible for the ball to only hit the black as some part of the ball will contact the ground or the white plate. There is a "to scale" diagram floating around on the internet that shows this. I have been looking for it, and I hope to find it so I can post it here.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
From a different thread:

Speaking ASA, the black rim, when visible is to always be considered part of the plate for all purposes including the strike zone or the ball or player touching it.

Note that this is just for ASA, and other sanctions may differ. Utrip, for example, makes a clear distinction between the border and the plate, and does not consider the black to be part of the plate.

I like the ASA interpretation of the ball not being able to hit the black with out hitting the pate.

But make no mistake the ball can most defintley clip the black edges of many home plates, it happens quite often.

And they are all not 3/4 of an inch some are pushing 2"s plus and are poorly installed in a lot of cases.

The black edge should never be exposed but it often is.......

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
It is most definitely possible to hit just the black. I was called on third strike on a beautiful pitch that hit the black on the back rear after setting up deep in the box and was the one spot I couldn't reach. As far as the black edge being exposed I've never seen a plate where it was covered unless it was a deep plate meant to be permanent and they aren't used anywhere I play.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
A properly buried plate should only have a tiny amount of black showing. Sadly most of them show a bunch of exposed black. This leads to many questionable/bad calls. I tend to call the black as if it were buried. So if a pitched ball lands beside/behind the plate and just nips the black, it would have been a good strike had the dirt been correct, and therefore it is a strike. Pitch thunks the plate it is a ball.

Keep in mind that I don't think I'm any better than other umpires who justify calling the black a strike, or calling the black the plate, or whatever they decide, so long as it is made clear to the players and it is consistent. Just another on the list of things we deal with that isn't quite perfect in the rules.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans

...or, without touching the ground.

"Pretty much impossible" sums it up for me, too. Unless you have some weird home plate with an extra large black beveled edge, or one that sticks way up out of the ground farther than normal, I just can't see a ball touching nothing but the black.

But, don't take my word for it. Try it for yourself. I have. Next time you're at the field, take a ball and try to hold it so it's touching just the black edge of the plate, without touching the ground or the corner where it meets the white.

bomboi

Addicted to Softballfans
we have a (black) ump who calls the black border a ball all the time and yells "black!" really loud instead of just saying "ball"...its actually quite humorous